Boston is populated with a charming mix of both older and newer homes. Whether you have a historical Victorian home or a rambler in the suburbs, make sure you have adequate Boston, MA homeowners insurance to protect your assets. You can find a homeowners insurance policy by contacting an independent insurance agent in our network. Independent agents work with several insurers and can easily collect Boston home insurance quotes that fit your needs and budget. You'll be able to choose from a variety of policies that will protect you from financial loss. Contact an insurance agent today to get started.
Boston Demographics Statistics
- Boston's city limits cover 49 square miles
- 645,966 residents live in this city
- There are 249,414 number of households in Boston
Number of catastrophes in Massachusetts and the US
- National number of catastrophes: 19,033
- Number of catastrophes in Massachusetts: 140
- National number of tornadoes: 1,233
- Number of tornadoes in Massachusetts: 2
Massachusetts residents are fortunate to have fewer catastrophes than the rest of the nation and just two tornadoes yearly. Residents should still make sure to protect themselves against disasters that can happen at any time. Be sure to have a Massachusetts homeowners insurance policy in place to protect yourself against those unforeseen events.
Theft in Massachusetts
- National average for burglaries: 37,814
- Massachusetts number of burglaries: 30,735
Even if you live in a fairly safe Boston neighborhood, you want to be sure to have a comprehensive Massachusetts homeowners insurance policy in place to protect your home against the possibility of burglaries and theft.
What Is Homeowners Insurance?
A Boston homeowners insurance policy can provide insurance protection for the following:
- Your home: Homeowners insurance can cover the exterior and interior structure of your home for a number of named perils listed in your policy, such as fire, vandalism, and burglary. Exterior structures like detached garages and sheds are also usually covered.
- The contents of your house: These will be covered up to specified limits outlined in the policy.
- Liability: If you are legally liable for bodily injuries or property damage to a third party, homeowners insurance can provide some protection for your finances.
- Additional living expenses: If you have to live elsewhere while your home is being repaired, your homeowners insurance may cover rent or other living accommodations temporarily.
Homeowners Insurance Reimbursement Choices
A Boston homeowners insurance policy may allow you to opt for one of two different methods of reimbursement from your insurance carrier. These two choices include:
- Actual Cash Value: Most available Boston homeowners insurance policies use ACV reimbursement, which takes depreciation into account before reimbursing for repairs or loss.
- Replacement Cost: Replacement cost coverage is offered by many insurance companies for a slightly more expensive premium, but with this coverage, you would receive the current market value for the repairs or replacement of your items.
Verify Your Contents Coverage
The majority of Boston home insurance policies limit the amount of contents coverage to 50 percent of the coverage amount you have on your house. To ensure you have sufficient coverage for your personal possessions in the event of a total loss, take a full inventory of everything you own and determine a rough estimate of how much it would cost to replace everything new.
The majority of Boston homeowners insurance policies cap coverage amounts for valuable items including antiques, furs, and artwork. To ensure you have sufficient coverage for these items, you may have to purchase an insurance rider or endorsement. Ask your agent if you need to have a few items scheduled separately.
Periodically Review Your Policy
Most homes appreciate in value over time. To ensure you have sufficient insurance coverage on your home, it's a good idea to research the current market value of your house and compare that to the amount of insurance coverage you currently carry. If your home has doubled in value, it might be time to consider altering the amount of coverage to reflect the appreciated increase.
The Cost of a Homeowners Insurance Policy in Massachusetts
- National yearly premium average: $1,034
- Massachusetts yearly premium average: $1,150
- 11th most expensive premium in the US
Massachusetts yearly premiums are slightly higher than the national average. Additionally, the cost of your Boston homeowners insurance premium may depend on a number of factors, such as:
- Type of construction material used in the home
- The home’s age
- Your location relative to the availability of local fire protection
- The amount of coverage on your house
- Your deductible
Additional Insurance Coverage Choices
A homeowners policy does not cover every potential peril. One catastrophe that could damage your home and is generally excluded from a homeowners policy is flooding. Flood insurance is a separate and specialized form of insurance protection which has to be bought separately. Earthquake damage is also typically excluded, and coverage for quakes would have to be purchased separately as well. Contact your agent if you're unsure whether your home is in a flood plain or not, or whether you face the risk of earthquake damage.
Where to Find a Homeowner’s Insurance Policy
An independent agent in our network has access to many insurance companies. They can help you find a policy that’s right for your home. Find a local independent insurance agent in our network today to start comparing Boston home insurance quotes.