From its quiet residential neighborhoods to its bustling Main Street, the picturesque town of Greenfield has a lot to offer its 17,000 residents. If you have purchased a house in this historic Massachusetts city, homeowners insurance can protect your investment.
When you are shopping for the best coverage for your Greenfield home, an independent insurance agent can help. Find an insurance agent with an office near you to learn more and to start comparing a selection of customized homeowners insurance quotes.
How Much Does Homeowners Insurance Cost in Greenfield, MA?
On average, homeowners in Massachusetts pay more for home insurance than property owners throughout much of the county. Let’s look at a rate comparison:
- National average yearly premium: $1,173
- Massachusetts average yearly premium: $1,379
Of course, home insurance rates are calculated on a case-by-case basis. Because Greenfield is located more inland than most Massachusetts cities, average rates here are likely to be lower than the state average.
Insurance companies base their prices on a number of factors such as:
- The age, size, and value of your home
- The number of stories in your house and whether it has a basement
- The crime rate and weather risks in your ZIP code
- Your claims history and credit score
- Whether you are bundling your coverage with other policies like car insurance or life insurance
Each insurance company has its own way of calculating rates, so it's a good idea to request quotes from a few different providers before choosing a policy. That way, you can be sure that you aren't overpaying for your coverage. Independent insurance agents make comparison shopping easy.
What Kinds of Damage Does Greenfield Homeowners Insurance Cover?
Your homeowners insurance policy is designed to provide coverage against most of the hazards you are likely to face as a property owner in Greenfield.
Catastrophic Events in Massachusetts
- Number of federally declared disasters in Massachusetts: 54
- Most common reasons for disasters in MA: Severe storms and hurricanes
- Average number of tornadoes per year in Massachusetts: 1.4
- Average amount of property damage per year in MA: $808 million
- 1 in 15 insured homes has a claim each year.
There are a number of ways that your home may sustain costly damage. Hazards such as residential fires, hurricanes, severe storms, strong winds, freezing temperatures, heavy snows, and property crimes can all have an impact on homes in this area.
Fortunately, all of these hazards are covered by most home insurance policies.
A local insurance agent can help you review your dwelling and contents coverage limits so you can be sure that they are high enough to enable you to fully rebuild or replace damaged property following a catastrophic event.
A Word about Flood Damage in Greenfield, MA
When winter snows melt and when hurricanes and major storms bring heavy rains to the area, the ground can become saturated and drainage systems can become overwhelmed. When this happens, flooding may occur, and this can result in significant expenses for property owners.
According to FEMA, as little as one inch of water in your home can cause up to $25,000 in property loss and damage.
Residents near waterways like the Connecticut River, the Green River, and Hinsdale Brook are most at risk, but flash flooding can occur just about anywhere.
Unfortunately, flood damage is not covered by homeowners insurance, even if it is the direct result of a covered hurricane. In order to be covered, you will need a separate flood insurance policy, which is available through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).
Flood insurance takes 30 days to go into effect, so don't wait until heavy rains are imminent. Talk to your local insurance agent to learn how flood insurance can provide you with the full protection you need for your Greenfield home and for help securing an affordable policy.
Why Do Greenfield Homeowners Need Liability Protection?
It’s a fact of life: People sometimes make mistakes, and accidents sometimes happen. If you are at fault for an error or accident that leads to third-party damage or injuries, you will be expected to pay for the resultant costs.
Depending on the severity of the damage, this can get very expensive. That's why homeowners insurance also provides you with personal liability coverage, which typically ranges from $100,000 to $500,000.
Homeowners liability insurance is designed to cover your court costs, legal defense fees, and financial damages if you are held liable for a covered event. Examples of times that this insurance can prove invaluable include:
- If a guest is seriously injured in an accident on your property
- If your pet gets out of your yard and bites a jogger
- If your child accidentally breaks your neighbor’s picture window while playing ball in the yard
- If you accidentally injure someone while you are away from home, such as while goofing around with friends in Energy Park
- If you are accused of libel or slander, a risk that has grown in the age of social media
Talk to a local independent insurance agent to learn more about the many ways that the liability coverage included in your Greenfield home insurance policy can protect you.
What Is the Burglary Rate in Greenfield?
The burglary rate in Massachusetts, and in Greenfield specifically, is lower than the national average. Residents of this city report around 50 burglaries a year.
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in the US: 4.69
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Massachusetts: 2.82
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Greenfield: 2.87
You may gain some peace of mind from knowing that if your house is broken into, your homeowners insurance can reimburse you for your losses as well as for any damage the burglar may have caused. You will need a copy of the police report when you file your insurance claim.
If you own any particularly valuable possessions, you may need to add special endorsements or riders to your homeowners insurance policy in order for them to be fully covered. A local independent insurance agent can help you be sure that all of your most precious property is properly insured.
What about Insurance for Second Homes and Vacation Homes?
Maybe you own a weekend cabin that you like to visit when you need to get away from it all. Or perhaps you own a second home nearby that you rent out to students at Greenfield Community College.
Whatever their purpose, if you own more than one home, there are additional factors that insurance companies will consider when calculating quotes for your coverage.
- Vacation homes: Vacation homes that are left unoccupied and unattended for long periods often have high property damage risks due to problems like theft and water leaks, which can go unnoticed for a while. These houses may therefore need to be covered by vacant home insurance when they are not being used.
- Rental homes: Houses that are occupied by tenants have higher property damage and liability risks than houses that are occupied by their owners. If you have tenant-occupied properties, your insurance company will probably require them to be covered by landlord insurance.
An independent insurance agent can help you find the right coverage to make sure that your residential properties are appropriately covered.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Greenfield, MA?
Independent insurance agents live and work in your community, so they understand the risks you face as a property owner in Greenfield. These agents make it easy to find the best home coverage because they contact insurance companies on your behalf and do the comparison shopping for you.
Find an insurance agent in or near Greenfield to schedule a one-on-one consultation and get more information.
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.