Let’s face it. Some jobs are more dangerous than others, and employees sometimes get hurt while they are at work. Fortunately, business owners in Dorchester can prevent workplace injuries from leading to large financial losses by investing in a suitable workers’ compensation insurance policy.
Workers’ compensation coverage can be purchased through a commercial provider. Some of these insurance companies are better suited to cover certain industries than others. A local independent insurance agent can help you find the best coverage for your Dorchester business. Find an insurance agent near you to learn more.
Is Workers’ Compensation Insurance Required in Dorchester?
Employers in Dorchester must be in compliance with the Massachusetts workers’ compensation coverage requirements. In this state, you are required to carry this insurance if you have any employees, even if you only employ a single part-time worker. There are a few exceptions. You are not required to cover:
- Yourself if you are a sole proprietor, partner, or LLC member, though you may if you wish to
- Domestic workers who work fewer than 16 hours a week
- Workers engaged in interstate or international commerce
- Real estate agents
- Salespeople who work on commission
If in doubt about your coverage requirements, you can contact a local independent insurance agent for guidance.
How Much Does Workers' Comp Insurance Cost in Dorchester, MA?
The good news is that Massachusetts has some of the lowest workers' compensation rates in the country. How much coverage will cost for your business will depend on the type of work your employees do and your company’s overall payroll. Every job is given a classification code, and the state Workers’ Compensation Rating and Inspection Bureau sets rates for each class code according to the job’s associated risks.
Insurance companies must use these rates as a starting point but are permitted to offer policy discounts at their discretion. That's why comparing quotes can save you money. The following are average rates paid per every $100,000 in employee payroll for some of the top industries in Dorchester, MA:
- Professional, Scientific & Technical Services: $92 a year
- Accommodation & Food Services: $1,700 a year
- Retail trade: $800 a year
Of course, these are just average rates and the costs can vary according to more specific information regarding the jobs your workers do. Talk to an independent insurance agent in Dorchester to learn how much workers’ compensation will cost you.
Get a Workers' Comp Quote in Minutes
Let our independent agents do all the heavy lifting while you save.
Dorchester Workers’ Compensation Covers Medical Treatment
If an employee is injured or becomes ill on the job, they can report their injury to a supervisor to begin the workers’ compensation claim process. As the employer, you can select the physician that your workers can go to for their initial appointments, but they may choose their own doctor for their continued care. Workers' compensation will cover the full cost of medical care and prescriptions and will reimburse employees for their mileage to and from their medical visits.
Dorchester Workers’ Compensation Insurance Provides Disability Coverage
Disability coverage is designed to replace lost wages if an employee must take more than seven days off work. This coverage can provide injured employees with 60% of their average weekly wages during the time they are off work under doctor’s orders. There are a few types of disability coverage:
- Temporary total disability benefits: If a doctor mandates that an employee remain off work to recuperate from an injury, workers’ comp can provide the injured worker with weekly benefits of 60% of their average weekly wage until they are able to return to work.
- Partial disability benefits: If an employee is approved by a physician for light-duty work while recuperating, they must report for this work or risk losing their disability benefits. If the light-duty job pays less than their previous wages, workers’ compensation will help the injured employee bridge the gap by covering the difference so that they are earning 75% of their previous pay.
- Permanent total disability benefits: If an injury results in an employee being deemed permanently disabled, workers’ compensation can provide them with 66% of their average weekly wages for as long as they are considered disabled.
- Scarring, permanent loss of function, and disfigurement: If an employee injury results in scarring of the face, neck, or hands, or if the employee suffers the loss of a limb or other disfigurement, workers’ comp can provide them with a one-time lump-sum payment in addition to their other benefits. The amount of this payment will be determined according to the severity of the injury or disfigurement.
Workers' Compensation Covers Fatal Work Injuries in Dorchester
Sadly, employees are sometimes killed on the job. From collisions, while driving a company vehicle to tragic machinery malfunctions, these accidental deaths are hard on the employees' families. Workers’ compensation insurance can help surviving family members get through their loss by providing them with financial compensation. For job-related fatalities, workers’ compensation can cover burial costs up to eight times the state average weekly wage. It also provides survivor benefits as follows:
- The employee’s spouse can receive weekly benefits of 66% of the employee’s average weekly salary. The amount paid out is subject to annual cost-of-living increases. This benefit will continue indefinitely unless the widowed spouse remarries.
- If the employee's spouse remarries, workers’ comp will provide the deceased worker’s dependent children with $60 a week until they are no longer considered dependents.
Find the Best Workers’ Compensation Insurance in Dorchester
If you are among the many employers in Dorchester who are required to carry workers’ compensation insurance, a local insurance agent can help you find the right policy. These agents can match you up with an insurance company that specializes in covering businesses in your industry and can ensure that you are getting your coverage at a competitive price. Discover the many benefits of working with a local, independent insurance agent.
Find an insurance agent in or near Dorchester to get started.
©2022, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.