As the most populated city in Michigan’s upper peninsula, Marquette offers abundant opportunities for small businesses. In 2012, CBS Money Watch listed Marquette, MI among the top 10 places in the nation to retire to. In 2014, there were 856,682 small businesses in Michigan, providing employment to 1,755,901 people. Of course, owning a business also carries serious risks. In 2014, loss payouts to Michigan businesses totaled $12,848,751. You can minimize your risks as a business owner by investing in Marquette business insurance.
If you are looking for affordable commercial insurance options in Marquette, Trusted Choice® Independent Insurance Agents can help. Our agents will take the guesswork out of the process and find policies that offer the maximum protection against Marquette’s most common threats.
Liability is a risk that you can’t afford to ignore. According to the 2015 Travelers Business Risk Summary, 60% of small-business owners ranked medical cost inflation as their highest concern and more than 30% said they felt the least prepared to handle this issue. Liability is the first policy you should have in place as a business owner.
- Product Liability: According to a national study, 71% of product liability awards and 53% of medical malpractice awards by the courts amounted to $1 million or more. It takes only one unhappy customer claiming to have been injured or made ill by your product to lead to devastating financial loss. Invest in a product liability insurance policy to protect your business from a legal nightmare.
- Errors & Omissions/Professional Liability: Whether you’re a contractor, a marketing consultant or a beautician, professional liability insurance is an important piece of the commercial insurance puzzle. This type of policy protects you from allegations of errors and omissions. If you are sued, your E&O liability policy helps shoulder the burden of legal fees and pays for any court-ordered settlement that you incur.
Business Interruption Insurance for Marquette Businesses
- Gross domestic product in 2014: 2.2%
- Michigan gross state product in 2014: 1.0%
- The 2014 GSP increase was 1.2% less than the 2014 GDP increase
Marquette’s severe winter weather poses a serious threat to property owners. If your business is damaged by heavy snow or a falling tree from an ice storm, it could take weeks or even months to fix the damage. In the meantime, you have no money coming in to pay your bills or even support your family. Business interruption insurance pays for lost profits and helps your business stay afloat during a catastrophe.
Property Insurance for Marquette Businesses
- Number of natural disasters in 2014: 119
- Only 61% of losses from natural disasters were covered
- Total uncovered property damage in 2014: $9.7 billion
Marquette residents are all too familiar with natural disasters. During the winter, this city faces extremely severe weather, from blizzards that produce heavy snow fall to ice storms that cause down trees and power lines. These weather-related threats can destroy your business property, so make sure you’re prepared with a comprehensive commercial property insurance policy in advance.
Workers' Compensation for Marquette Businesses
Workman’s compensation is insurance that business owners should have in place before the hiring process begins. Employee injuries can lead to ongoing legal issues, which is why workers' compensation is now required across most of the nation. Workers' compensation steps in to pay lost wages and medical bills if one of your employees is injured on the job. This policy also provides a buffer of protection against lawsuits.
Employee Coverages for Marquette Businesses
- Total 2013 spending on premiums in Michigan: $1,134,005
- Ranked 39th for highest premiums in the U.S.
- Annual cost of health care for small businesses in 2013: $5,321/person or $15,242/family
Finding affordable health and life insurance is one of the most frustrating challenges for new business owners. Premiums seem to climb higher each year, and affordable coverage is difficult to find. Luckily, Trusted Choice agents can provide you with quotes on multiple policies and point you toward the most budget-friendly employee coverage options on the market. With help from an experienced agent, you can select a plan that offers maximum benefits for your employees without sacrificing your annual budget in the process.
Cyber Crime Insurance for Marquette Businesses
- 10,338 identity theft complaints in Michigan in 2014
- Ranked 6th highest for identity theft complaints in the U.S.
Michigan ranks as one of the states highest at risk for cyber crime. Small businesses aren’t immune from this threat and actually might be viewed as a prime target. Only 22% of small businesses have a response plan in place to deal with cyber crime and data breaches. If you find your business facing a data breach or falling victim to a hacker, make sure your business is prepared by adding cyber crime coverage to your commercial insurance policy in Marquette.
The number of options available for Marquette business insurance can be confusing and overwhelming. Our Trusted Choice Independent Insurance Agents can help simplify the process and build a customized business insurance plan that is designed to protect your business against Marquette’s biggest risk factors. If you’re worried that your business might be at risk for liability lawsuits or you need to find affordable employee coverages, let our agents go to work on your behalf. Contact a Trusted Choice agent today to get your free rate quote on Marquette commercial insurance.