Royal Oak, MI, is known for its posh shopping and dining. If you're looking for a place that entertains, Royal Oak is it. As a Detroit suburb, you'll have the best of small-town feel and big-city access.
If you're a resident of this city of 59,112 who uses the roadways, you'll need protection. An independent insurance agent can help you find a policy that fits. Connect with a local expert today to begin your search.
State Minimum Auto Limits in Royal Oak, MI
If you use the roadways in Royal Oak, MI, you're required to carry car insurance. Like worker's compensation, car coverage is regulated by local law. Check out the required auto insurance for Royal Oak, MI:
- A minimum liability of $50,000 per person/$100,000 per accident/ $10,000 property damage.
When you have a loss without enough coverage, you'll be responsible for the remaining balance. Consider umbrella insurance to have additional liability limits. This policy will kick in when your underlying coverage has been exhausted.
Does Your Auto Policy Cover Uber in Royal Oak, MI?
Personal auto insurance excludes coverage for rideshare services. So, if you drive for Uber or Lyft, you're likely to be without insurance. Fortunately, there are other options.
A commercial auto policy is needed to have adequate protection for business operations. If you're delivering people or packages, you're running a business. Commercial insurance is necessary for that type of risk exposure.
Optional Auto Insurance in Royal Oak, MI
Your primary auto policy doesn't come standard with additional coverages. When you want more than liability-only, you'll need to add it. In the meantime, check out some options:
- Uninsured/underinsured motorists or UM/UIM: This coverage will pay for your expenses arising from an accident with an uninsured at-fault driver. Nationally, there are 13.0% uninsured drivers, and 20.3% in Michigan.
- Gap coverage: Pays for the difference between your remaining loan balance and the market value when a total loss occurs.
- Tow coverage: Will pay for a tow truck to tow a covered auto due to a loss.
- Rental car coverage: Will provide reimbursement for a rental car when your covered auto is damaged.
- Comprehensive coverage: Will pay for property damage to your vehicle if it hits an unavoidable obstruction or is damaged in a non-collision event like a fire or hailstorm.
- Collision coverage: Pays for property damage to your car in the event of a crash.
When you get into an accident without the right coverage, you could be in for a considerable expense. If your vehicle gets totaled, you'll have to replace it yourself. Look at optional coverages when you review your policy.
How to Lower Auto Insurance Costs in Royal Oak, MI
Companies look at numerous factors when rating your insurance policies. If you have excellent personal records and loss history, you'll pay a lower premium. Check out rating factors the carriers use below:
- The coverages you choose
- Policy discounts that may apply
- Your claims history
- Your insurance score
- Catastrophes reported
- Local crime rates
- Your driving record
You'll be able to reduce costs by improving some items, while others you can't control. Local crime is one thing that you won't be able to change, and it affects your premiums. Let's take a peek at the theft rates per 100,000 people:
- National average: 228.90
- Michigan average: 174.60
- Royal Oak average: 62.30
If you bundle your auto and home insurance with the same carrier, you'll save. Insurance companies like to give discounts for putting all your policies with them. Typically, you'll see a 30% savings or more on coverages.
How to Connect with an Independent Agent in Royal Oak, MI
If you want the best of both worlds, an independent insurance agent can help. They have access to multiple markets, giving you the best coverage and premiums in town. Since they do the shopping, you'll save time.
If you're tired of spending resources to get affordable rates on insurance, contact a professional. TrustedChoice can match you with a local expert in minutes. Use the find-an-agent tool and connect with a licensed adviser today.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.