Do you have enough car insurance to cover you if you were held responsible for a car accident that injured a third party? Is there a penalty if you are caught driving without insurance? Find the answers to those questions and more below.
Car accidents occur and you need a good car insurance policy to cover against them. Whether you had a fender bender on McGinty Road W, or you had a major accident on I-494, either one could cost you hundreds or thousands of dollars in accident-related monetary losses.
When you hire an independent insurance agent, they will help you find the best car insurance policy to meet your coverage and financial needs. Find an independent insurance agent in Minnetonka, MN, to learn more today.
Why Do Minnetonka, MN, Car Insurance Rates Differ?
Each insurance company has its own method of determining risk and calculating rates, which causes car insurance rates to greatly differ from one policyholder to another. The following are some factors in which the rate of your car insurance quote may be based upon:
- Your age, gender, occupation, and marital status
- The make, model, and year of vehicles being insured
- Information about other licensed drivers using your vehicle
- Your credit score and driving record
- The amount of your deductible
- The amount of liability insurance being obtained
- Whether you own or rent your home
- The coverage options included in your policy
If you bundle your car insurance with renters or homeowners insurance, chances are you can qualify for significant discounts on your car insurance. You may also qualify for other discounts, such as if you have a safe driving record or make good grades in school.
Allow an independent insurance agent to help you compare rates and find the most discounts that you qualify for. They can help you find the car insurance coverage you need at the most reasonable price.
What Car Insurance Coverage Options Are Available in Minnetonka, MN?
Car insurance policies are a mixture of mandatory and voluntary car insurance coverage options. As a resident of Minnetonka, MN, your policy must meet or exceed Minnesota’s minimum car insurance coverage requirements. Minnesota requires drivers to carry liability car insurance and uninsured motorist coverage.
If you are still making payments on or leasing your car, your dealer will most likely require you to carry comprehensive and collision insurance.
The minimum liability insurance requirements for the state of Minnesota are as follows:
- $30,000 for injury/death to one person.
- $60,000 for injury/death to more than one person.
- $10,000 for damages to property.
Car liability insurance compensates third parties for personal injury and/or property damage. You should be aware that comprehensive and/or collision insurance does not meet Minnesota’s vehicle financial responsibility requirements.
Following are several car insurance coverage options you might expect your local independent insurance agent to offer you:
- Collision insurance (Partially optional): This option covers repairs or the replacement of your car if it is damaged in an accident, regardless of fault.
- Comprehensive insurance (Partially optional): This option covers repairs or the replacement of your car if lost or damaged due to a non-collision event such as flooding, lightning, or car fire.
- Uninsured motorist insurance (Required): This option covers other non-covered damages and injuries you may undergo if in a collision with an uninsured, underinsured, or hit-and-run driver.
- Roadside assistance and towing (Optional): This option covers essential options if your car breaks down while out driving, like if all your engine coolant leaks out.
- Rental reimbursement coverage (Optional): This option covers the cost of renting an alternate car while your car is being repaired following a covered event.
Contact an independent insurance agent for help in selecting your auto liability coverage options.
What Is the Penalty for Driving without Insurance in Minnetonka, MN?
In the state of Minnesota, if you fail to maintain liability car insurance and uninsured motorist coverage a police officer will cite you if you are caught. If you get into an accident and are found to be at fault, you will be responsible for the expenses of any personal injuries and/or property damage that occurs. When you go to court and if they find that adequate insurance was not in effect on the date you were cited, you will be charged with a misdemeanor.
When operating a car, every driver must be able to produce current proof of insurance if pulled over by a police officer. Following are the penalties for driving without insurance in Minnetonka, MN:
- The driver is guilty of a misdemeanor if they do not produce the required proof of insurance upon the demand of a police officer.
- A driver is guilty of a gross misdemeanor if they repeat the violation within ten years of the first of two prior convictions.
- The court may impose consecutive sentences for violations arising out of a single course of conduct.
- In addition to any sentence of imprisonment that the court may impose, the court shall impose a fine of not less than $200 nor more than the maximum fine applicable to misdemeanors upon conviction.
- The court may allow community service in lieu of any fine imposed if the defendant is impoverished.
- In addition to criminal penalties, a person convicted is subject to revocation of a driver's license or permit to drive.
What Is the Auto Theft Rate in Minnetonka, MN, and Why Does it Matter?
Your car insurance is partially based on the number of claims filed and Minnetonka’s auto theft rate, which should be a good incentive to carry the appropriate amount of car insurance on your vehicles.
The 2018 crime rate in Minnetonka, MN, was 97, which was 2.8 times lower than the US average. In the last five years, Minnetonka has seen an increase in violent crime and a decrease in property crime.
- National auto theft rate per 100,000 vehicles: 228.9
- Minnesota auto theft rate per 100,000 vehicles: 180.5
- Minnetonka auto theft rate per 100,000 vehicles: 57.9
Although the risk of your car being stolen is very low in Minnetonka, you should still remember that you can only be compensated for a car theft if your car insurance policy includes comprehensive coverage. This optional insurance coverage can also consist of a wide range of non-accident related damages such as floods or structure fires.
Hopefully, you already have comprehensive coverage, especially if you are leasing or still making payments on your car. If not, speak with an independent insurance agent to learn how much it will cost to add this non-accident related coverage to your car insurance policy.
Independent Insurance Agents in Minnetonka, MN, Are There When You Need Them
Independent insurance agents can be particularly helpful when looking for the best car insurance policy to meet your coverage needs. A car insurance expert can explain your coverage options, answer insurance-related questions, and help you review offers from multiple insurance companies.
Contact a TrustedChoice.com independent insurance agent with an office near Minnetonka, MN, to start comparing customized car insurance quotes in moments.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.