Site of the Minnesota Zoo, the beautiful city of Apple Valley is home to about 50,000 people. This city offers its residents great schools, a low crime rate, and a strong sense of community. All the while, all the amenities of a large city are just a short drive away in Minneapolis. If you are fortunate enough to own a house in this city, you can protect your investment with homeowners insurance.
Local independent agents can help you find the best and most affordable coverage for your Apple Valley home. Contact an insurance agent near you to start comparing a selection of customized homeowners insurance quotes.
How Much Does Homeowners Insurance Cost in Apple Valley, MN?
The average cost of home insurance in Minnesota is higher than the national average. But the average cost in Apple Valley falls somewhere in between.
- National average yearly premium: $1,211
- Minnesota average yearly premium: $1,348
- Apple Valley average yearly premium: $1,288
Of course, your actual homeowners insurance quotes are likely to be different from these average rates. This is because costs are calculated on a case-by-case basis according to several different factors. These can include:
- The age, size, and value of your home
- The number of stories in your house and whether it has a basement
- The materials used in the construction of your house and the age of your roof
- The crime rate and weather risks in your ZIP code
- Whether you are bundling your coverage with other policies like car insurance or life insurance
- Your claims history and credit score
Every insurance company has its own way of assessing risk and computing rates, so comparing a variety of quotes lets you to choose the policy that offers the coverage you need at the best price. Independent insurance agents in Apple Valley make comparison shopping easy.
What Kinds of Damage Are Covered by Apple Valley Home Insurance?
Home insurance policies are designed to cover your property against most of the hazards you are likely to face as a property owner in Apple Valley, Minnesota.
You can expect your home insurance policy to cover against risks ranging from severe weather events to property crimes. Dwelling insurance covers the structure of your house, while contents insurance covers the personal property you keep inside it.
Catastrophic events in Minnesota
- Number of federally declared disasters in Minnesota: 83
- Most common causes of disasters in the state: Floods, severe storms, and wildfires
- Average number of tornadoes per year in Minnesota: 45.0
- Average amount of property damage per year in MN: $897 million
- 1 in 15 insured homes has a claim each year.
In June 2019, Apple Valley was hit by terrible thunderstorms that brought winds of up to 80 miles per hour and large hailstones to the city. Hail and wind can damage roofs, siding, and peripheral structures. Lighting can pose a threat too. In fact, during this particular storm, three houses in the city burned to the ground because of lightning strikes.
In addition to damage caused by storms, heavy snowfalls and freezing temperatures have the potential to damage your house due to frozen water pipes, ice buildup, and gutter dams.
Fortunately, all of the hazards mentioned above are covered by most home insurance policies. Let a local independent insurance agent review your policy’s coverage to ensure it is complete.
What about Coverage against Floods?
Storms like the one that hit this city in June 2019 often lead to flash flooding. Be aware that although damage caused by the storms themselves are covered, flood damage is not.
In Apple Valley, flash flooding typically occurs when drainage systems are clogged by debris or are overwhelmed by prolonged heavy rainfall.
Flood damage can be very expensive for area homeowners. According to FEMA, just one inch of rainwater in your house can cause up to $25,000 in damage. That is why a flood insurance policy is a good idea.
A local insurance agent can help you supplement your homeowners insurance with an affordable flood insurance policy through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). These policies take 30 days to go into effect, so do not wait until heavy rains are imminent to purchase your policy.
Why Is Liability Insurance Important for Apple Valley Homeowners?
Liability lawsuits can happen to anyone. Fortunately, your homeowners insurance also provides you with personal liability insurance.
Most insurance companies offer between $100,000 and $500,000 in homeowners liability insurance coverage. This insurance is designed to protect you by covering court costs, legal fees, and financial damages if you are sued for a covered event.
Some examples of times that your homeowners liability coverage may prove invaluable are:
- If a guest in your home is badly injured in an accident that can be attributed to negligence on your part, such as if you failed to shovel the front walkway and someone slipped on ice.
- If you accidentally cause serious injuries to someone while you are away from your home, such as while playing a friendly game of basketball in Thunderbird Park.
- If someone in your household, such as your children or your pets, does something that causes injuries or property damage to someone else.
- If you are accused of libel due to something you posted on social media.
If you want to have more liability insurance than your home policy can provide, an independent agent can also help you purchase umbrella insurance. This is an affordable way to significantly boost all of your liability coverage.
Does Apple Valley Homeowners Insurance Cover against Burglaries?
The burglary rate in Minnesota is lower than the national rate, and in Apple Valley, the rate is even lower. This is not to say that the risk does not exist. Residents of this city report about 100 burglaries every year.
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in the US: 3.76
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Minnesota: 2.88
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Apple Valley: 1.76
You can reduce your risk of being targeted by burglars by taking precautions like keeping all entryways securely locked, putting lights on timers when you are away, and using a burglar alarm system. Many insurance companies offer discounts to policyholders who have home security systems.
However, nothing is foolproof against a determined burglar. Fortunately, if your house is broken into, your homeowners insurance can reimburse you for your losses as well as for any damage the burglar may have caused, once your deductible has been met.
If you own any particularly valuable items, like fine art or prized collections, you may need to purchase special endorsements in order for this property to be fully covered. A local independent insurance agent can help you be sure that all of your belongings are properly insured.
What about Apple Valley Residents with Second Homes and Vacation Homes?
Maybe you maintain a winter vacation home in a warmer climate so you can escape Minnesota’s brutal winters. Or perhaps you have a second home nearby that you rent out to young families for additional income.
Whatever your reasons, if you own more than one house, you will need to be sure that all of your properties are covered by appropriate home insurance policies. In some cases, you may be required to purchase specialized coverage.
- Vacation properties that are left unused for several months out of the year typically have an increased risk of property damage. Your insurer may require you to have vacant home insurance during the times your vacation house is unoccupied.
- Second homes that are occupied by tenants have higher liability risks and a greater chance of sustaining serious structural damage. These homes typically need to be covered by landlord insurance.
A local independent insurance agent can help you be certain that all of your residential properties are suitably covered.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Apple Valley, MN?
The easiest way to get the best insurance for your Apple Valley home is by working with a local independent agent. These agents work for you, not for a particular insurance company. This means they are able to shop around in order to find you reliable coverage at the most competitive rate.
Find an independent insurance agent with an office near you to learn more. You will be able to start comparing customized homeowners insurance quotes in no time.
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.