Find the Best Car Insurance Quotes & Options in Mississippi
Car insurance in Mississippi costs an average of $1,584 per year. The state average rate of car insurance is a bit more expensive than the current national average of $1,311 annually. But just because drivers in Mississippi pay more for their auto insurance coverage than many other states, doesn't mean they can't find ways to save money through discounts.
An independent insurance agent will help you find the right kind of auto insurance in Mississippi for you. But first, here's a closer look at car insurance details in Mississippi.
Best Car Insurance Companies in Mississippi
Many different auto insurance companies in Mississippi could provide a policy for you. But to find the best coverage, you'll want to start with the top companies in the area. That's why we went ahead and put together this list of the best car insurance companies in Mississippi to get you started off right.
- Best Mississippi car insurance company overall: Nationwide
- Best Mississippi car insurance company for minimum liability: Direct General Insurance
- Best Mississippi car insurance company for full coverage: USAA
- Best Mississippi car insurance company for young drivers: Progressive
- Best Mississippi car insurance company for accident history: Mississippi Farm Bureau
A Mississippi independent insurance agent can help you look further into these insurance companies and help you decide if one is the right choice for you.
Best Mississippi Car Insurance Company Overall: Nationwide
Our pick for the best Mississippi car insurance company overall goes to Nationwide. Excellent ratings by both AM Best and the Better Business Bureau (BBB) combined with 24/7 claims reporting easily make Nationwide a top contender. Nationwide also allows drivers to customize their auto insurance policies thanks to the carrier's many coverage options.
Nationwide was founded in 1925, giving it nearly a century's worth of experience in the insurance industry. The carrier has grown from a small auto insurance company to one of the largest insurance and financial services companies globally.
The insurance company's LinkedIn profile states that Nationwide has 10,001+ employees. It's also huge in terms of financial strength. AM Best places the carrier in the $2 billion or greater category.
Thanks to Nationwide's extensive history and reach, the carrier has more than earned its reputation as a stable insurance company with an excellent outlook for the future. AM Best rates Nationwide an “A+” or excellent, indicating the carrier is a superior choice for insurance consumers.
|Average Monthly Insurance Cost: Car Insurance Policy||Average Annual Insurance Cost: Car Insurance Policy|
Best Mississippi Car Insurance Company for Minimum Liability: Direct General Insurance
Our top pick for the best car insurance company in Mississippi for minimum liability coverage goes to Direct General Insurance, otherwise known as Direct Auto. This insurance company earned our top spot for being the cheapest option we found during our research. Direct General Insurance offers the state minimum required liability coverage for an average of just $275 per year.
Direct Auto Insurance was founded in 1991. Direct Auto Insurance is a member of the Direct General Group. The insurance company's original mission was to provide affordable car and motorcycle insurance, but it has since expanded to offer several types of coverage.
As of the end of 2020, Direct Auto Insurance reportedly made $10 million in annual revenue. In further terms of financial strength, AM Best ranks the carrier in the $100 to $250 million financial size category overall.
Direct Auto Insurance is known as a stable insurance provider with a strong outlook for the future thanks to its size and financial strength. AM Best gives Direct Auto Insurance an “A” rating, indicating the carrier is an excellent choice for insurance customers.
|Average Monthly Insurance Cost: Minimum Liability Car Insurance Policy||Average Annual Insurance Cost: Minimum Liability Car Insurance Policy|
Best Mississippi Car Insurance Company for Full Coverage: USAA
Our pick for the best Mississippi car insurance company for full coverage goes to USAA. Having a car insurance policy that includes all the coverages you need most, not just the state's minimum requirements, doesn't have to be expensive if you know where to look. USAA earns our pick for this category thanks to its affordable full car coverage policies, which average just $105 per month.
Founded in 1922, USAA has more than a century’s worth of experience in the industry. Originally created by a group of Army officers who decided to insure each other’s vehicles, USAA has since expanded to servicing millions of customers across the country with a variety of coverage solutions.
A couple of years ago, USAA’s net worth surpassed $35 billion. The carrier has more than 13 million members (i.e., policyholders) and 35,000 employees. USAA has also paid out $2.4 billion in returns to its customers. The carrier has consistently received high marks from major agencies, such as Moody’s Investors Service and Standard & Poor’s. AM Best rates the insurance company an "A++," the highest available.
|Average Monthly Insurance Cost: Full Coverage Car Insurance Policy||Average Annual Insurance Cost: Full Coverage Car Insurance Policy|
Best Mississippi Car Insurance Company for Young Drivers: Progressive
Our top choice for the best car insurance company for young drivers in Mississippi goes to Progressive. Progressive earns our spot in this category thanks to its highly affordable family plan option for those who just want to add a teen driver to their policy. An average family plan auto insurance policy with a teen driver from Progressive costs about $714 per year, while an individual teen policy costs up to $4,584 per year. Clearly, the carrier's family plan option is more than worth it.
Progressive was founded in 1937, giving them many decades of experience under their belt. Progressive was the first insurance company to allow consumers to pay policy premiums in installments, which was groundbreaking for the insurance industry.
Thanks in part to the insurance company's original mission, which was to become the number one choice for auto insurance with both consumers and agents, Progressive is able to be awarded our top spot in this category today. A rich history and huge selection of other products has also led to Progressive developing a reputation as a stable insurance company with a positive outlook for the future.
|Average Monthly Insurance Cost: Full Coverage Car Insurance Policy||Average Annual Insurance Cost: Full Coverage Car Insurance Policy|
Best Mississippi Car Insurance Company for Accident History: Mississippi Farm Bureau
Our top pick for the best Mississippi car insurance company for drivers with accidents on their record goes to Mississippi Farm Bureau. Our research found that this carrier offers the cheapest premiums to drivers who have traffic violations, including accidents, on their records. An average car insurance policy for drivers with poor driving records costs about $816 per year from Mississippi Farm Bureau.
Mississippi Farm Bureau is just one of the many Farm Bureau Companies, which were founded more than 70 years ago. The carrier claims to be the number two insurer of both homes and vehicles in the state of Mississippi. The insurance company also has consistently positive customer service and claims service ratings.
AM Best rates Mississippi Farm Bureau an "A" for financial strength, indicating the carrier is an excellent choice for insurance customers. Mississippi Farm Bureau has become known as a carrier that puts its customers first, providing quality coverage and service, as well as affordable premiums.
|Average Monthly Insurance Cost: Drivers with Poor Records||Average Annual Insurance Cost: Drivers with Poor Records|
Mississippi Car Insurance Requirements
Each state in the country has its own set of minimum car insurance requirements each driver must fulfill before they can legally hit the road. Mississippi is no exception. Here are the state's minimum car insurance requirements.
- Bodily injury liability: Mississippi requires all of its drivers to carry at least $25,000 in bodily injury liability per person and $50,000 per accident. This coverage can help cover the costs of medical treatments to another driver and their passengers if you're at fault for an accident.
- Property damage liability: Mississippi requires all of its drivers to carry at least $25,000 in property damage liability per accident. This coverage can help cover the costs of repairing property that you damage with your vehicle, including other cars, and even miscellaneous property like fences, signposts, etc.
Optional car insurance coverages in Mississippi include:
- Medical payments coverage: This coverage can help cover the costs of medical treatments for you and your passengers after an accident you're at fault for.
- Uninsured motorist coverage: This coverage can help cover the costs of damage to your vehicle and medical treatments for you and your passengers if you get struck by a driver who doesn't carry any or enough auto insurance of their own, or someone who flees the scene.
- Collision: Pays for damage to your car from a collision with another driver, regardless of fault.
- Comprehensive: This coverage can help cover the costs of damage caused by threats other than collision, including incidents with large animals, windshield breaks, and more.
- Gap coverage: This coverage can help cover the difference between what your vehicle is worth and what you owe on your remaining vehicle loan after a collision.
- Rental car reimbursement: This coverage can help cover the costs of a rental car after a covered accident.
- Roadside assistance: This coverage can help cover the costs of towing and other necessary roadside services if you break down on the side of the road.
A Mississippi independent insurance agent will help you assemble the right kind of auto insurance policy for you.
Save on Car Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
Average Cost of Car Insurance in Mississippi
The average cost of car insurance in Mississippi is quite a bit higher than the current national average. Resident drivers in Mississippi pay an average of $1,584 per year for coverage, vs. the US average of $1,311 per year. Mississippi overall actually ranks the 12th highest in the nation for car insurance rates. In Mississippi, an auto insurance policy with only minimum coverage costs an average of only $492 per year, while a "full coverage" policy can cost up to $1,782.
Average Mississippi Car Insurance Costs by City
Different cities within the same state also experience different rates for car insurance premiums. Local competition, car values, crime rates, traffic congestion, risk of natural disasters, and more can all factor into car insurance rates by city. In Mississippi, drivers in Leland pay the most for their car insurance in the state, about $1,783 per year. On the other hand, drivers in Natchez pay the lowest rates in the state, about $1,184 annually.
Finding Car Insurance Discounts in Mississippi
To help bring down the higher-than-national-average costs of car insurance in the state, many car insurance companies in Mississippi offer several discounts for eligible drivers. Here are just a handful of common car insurance discounts offered in Mississippi.
- Paperless billing: Awarded to customers who choose to receive their billing statements electronically.
- Military discounts: Awarded to customers who are either current or retired military members.
- Student driver discounts: Awarded to customers with a student driver listed on their policy.
- Anti-theft devices: Awarded to customers whose vehicles come with security devices like alarms.
- Safe driver discounts: Awarded to customers who remain accident and traffic-violation-free for a certain amount of years.
- Other discounts: Awarded to teachers, union members, government workers, and other qualifying group members.
Working together with a Mississippi independent insurance agent is the best way to secure any car insurance discounts you qualify for.
How to Find the Best Car Insurance Quote in Mississippi
Finding the best car insurance quote in Mississippi doesn't have to be challenging or time-consuming. Especially when you get a Mississippi independent insurance agent to help you. These agents can shop and compare dozens of different car insurance companies in the area for you, and present you with the best car insurance quotes all together in one convenient place.
How to File a Car Insurance Claim in Mississippi
Filing a car insurance claim in Mississippi is much easier when you know the process. Getting involved in an accident is never a stress-free experience, but the claims process doesn't have to add to your stress level.
Follow these easy steps when it's time to report a car insurance claim:
- File a police report: Make sure to follow local laws about reporting an accident, and ideally, report it to the police ASAP.
- Tend to any injuries: After an accident, tend to any injuries by getting the affected parties the medical attention they need right away.
- Call your independent insurance agent: Your Mississippi independent insurance agent can file a claim for you directly through your car insurance company.
- Get a rental vehicle: Your independent insurance agent will give you a claim number and keep you updated throughout the claims process, but they can also help you arrange to get a rental vehicle if your policy covers this.
- Schedule a visit with an adjuster: Many times, your car insurance company will need you to schedule a visit with an adjuster to evaluate your vehicle's damage in person, though it may be able to be done virtually.
Your Mississippi independent insurance agent can even provide you with ETAs on when the claims process will be complete.