Whether you're headed to the Gulf Coast, the state capital of Jackson or to an Ole Miss football game in Oxford, an RV is a great way to travel. But to really enjoy your journey and protect yourself financially from the risks of the road, you need to insure yourself and your RV. Mississippi RV insurance protects you from liabilities and covers your RV in the event of property damage.
An independent Trusted Choice® member agent can help you compare several different Mississippi motorhome insurance quotes and select the right policy for you. These agents work with many different insurance companies and do not have a vested interest in the options you choose, making it easy to get high quality, unbiased information. Contact a local member agent now to get started.
Top Causes of Motorhome Accidents
- Striking a vehicle traveling on your side of a divided highway, or on either side of an undivided highway: 45%
- Rolling Over: 9%
- Striking a tree: 9%
- Striking a guard rail: 9%
Who Needs Mississippi RV Insurance?
No matter what kind of RV, motorhome or trailer you take on the road, your Mississippi motorhome insurance policy will keep you covered. Here are examples of the types of RVs that are insurable.
- Class A motorhomes
- Class B motorhomes or camper vans
- Class C motorhomes
- Converted buses
- Towable RVs:
- Folding camping trailers
- Truck campers
- Conventional travel trailers
- Fifth-wheel travel trailers
- Sport utility travel trailers
- Travel trailers with expandable ends
What Does Mississippi RV Insurance Cover?
RV or motorhome insurance is comparable to auto insurance but with extras specific to RV owners' needs. The basic coverage for an RV is very similar to any auto insurance policy:
- Liability: Mississippi state law requires that you carry a minimum amount of liability coverage to protect others if you cause bodily injury to someone else or property damage to another person's property while you're operating your RV. The policy covers the third party damage and medical expenses and helps you defend yourself against a lawsuit.
- Property damage: There are two kinds of property damage. Damage that results from a collision with another object, excluding animals, is insured under collision coverage. Damage caused by vandalism, theft and weather events, such as hail, is insured under comprehensive or other than collision coverage.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist: This coverage protects you if you're involved in an accident with someone who has no insurance or has insurance coverage limits that are less than the cost of the damage.
Specialized Mississippi RV Insurance Coverage
As an RV or trailer owner, you likely have more personal belongings in your vehicle than a typical car owner. You also face special risks because you may use your RV as a vacation home or even as a permanent residence. Here are some of the additional motorhome coverage options you should consider:
- Personal belongings: This coverage protects your personal property on board the RV.
- Equipment and attached accessories: This option covers extra equipment, such as a satellite dish or awning attached to your RV.
- Campsite and vacation: This liability coverage protects you if you use your RV or motorhome as a temporary residence while on vacation or at a campsite.
- Emergency expenses: This add-on provides temporary living expenses or travel expenses if your RV is disabled due to mechanical problems or other covered event.
- Towing and roadside: This option pays for towing services or roadside assistance.
What Is Full Timer RV Insurance?
Full timer RV coverage protects your RV if you use it as a full-time residence. In addition to vehicle coverage, you get risk protections found in a typical homeowners policy.
- Personal liability: Protects you if anyone suffers bodily injury or property damage while on the premises of your RV.
- Medical payments to others: Provides medical payments to others for injuries they incur in your RV while it is being used as a residence.
- Loss assessment: Covers you for specific assessments you incur due to your participation in a tenant or property owner association.
- Storage shed contents: Covers your personal belongings while they are in a storage facility.
What Are MS Minimums for Motorhome Insurance?
Mississippi state law mandates that you carry certain types of coverage:
- RV liability coverage:
- $25,000 coverage for bodily injury liability per person per accident
- $50,000 coverage for all persons injured in an accident
- $25,000 coverage minimum for property damage liability in one accident
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage: not required
Be sure to consult with a knowledgeable local insurance agent, as your agent may recommend you increase your liability limits beyond the Mississippi minimum amount to be covered for most real life scenarios.
Even though Mississippi doesn't require that you carry uninsured motorist coverage, it's still a good idea, as the state has the highest percentage of uninsured motorists in the U.S. This policy protects you financially if someone collides with you or damages your property and does not carry liability insurance.
Find Mississippi Motorhome Insurance Quotes Now
When you need to set up an RV policy, it's important to work with a knowledgeable independent agent who can tailor a plan to your needs and concerns. Independent agents in the Trusted Choice network have access to many different RV insurance companies and can help you compare multiple Mississippi motorhome insurance quotes.
Contact a local member agent today for assistance with your Mississippi RV insurance and other insurance needs.