There are approximately 74,875 residents in St. Joseph, MO. If you're a homeowner here, you'll want adequate coverage. A home insurance policy is necessary when protecting your family.
Fortunately, an independent insurance agent can help you find coverage that fits your budget. They have access to multiple carriers so that you get options for free. Connect with a local expert to start saving today.
What Does Homeowners Insurance Cover in St. Joseph, MO?
Homeowners insurance in St. Joseph, MO, will come standard with specific coverages. The limits of protection will vary depending on your data. The majority of homeowners policies have the following coverages.
- Dwelling limit: Pays for the replacement or repair of your home itself when a covered claim occurs.
- Personal property: Pays for the replacement or repair of your personal belongings.
- Personal liability: Pays for bodily injury, property damage, libel or slander claims against a household member.
- Additional living expenses: Pays for your temporary stay at another property when a claim renders your home unlivable.
- Medical payments: Pays for the first $1,000 - $10,000 of a medical expense when a third party gets injured on your property.
Perils your homeowners policy will cover
Catastrophe/Common Disasters in the Area
Every state will have its share of catastrophes. Natural disasters are a way of life and can cause substantial damage to your home and belongings. Take a peek at the top exposures in St. Joseph, MO.
- Severe storms and lightning
- Flooding and water damage
- Severe ice and freezing
- Burglary and other property crimes
St. Joseph's weather-related statistics
The number of natural disasters in St. Joseph: 25
Major presidentially declared disasters in St. Joseph: 16
Emergencies declared in St. Joseph: 6
Let's look at the top three causes in St. Joseph
Floods: 16 declared as a disaster
Storms: 13 declared as a disaster
Tornadoes: 6 declared as a disaster
Why your St. Joseph home needs flood insurance
Most homeowners are not aware that their primary home policy excludes coverage for flooding. If a flood loss occurs, you'll be out thousands of dollars. With a flood insurance policy, you'll have protection for all the what-ifs.
How Much Does Homeowners Insurance Cost in St. Joseph, MO?
Various risk factors determine your St. Joseph homeowners premiums. Carriers will look at your personal data and outside elements when figuring your costs. Take a look at the items insurance companies use to determine your rates.
- Where you live
- How many claims you've filed
- How new your house is
- How close you are to a fire department
- How close you are to a fire hydrant
- The materials of your home
- Your credit score
- If you have a pool, trampoline, or pet
- The square footage of your home
- How much it costs to replace your home
The average home insurance premium
- National average: $1,211
- Missouri average: $1,285
Risk factors you can improve
- Improving your credit score
- Filing fewer insurance claims
- Updating your roof, electrical, plumbing, or heating
If you're looking for another way to save, consider bundling. When you bundle your home and auto insurance policies with the same carrier, there is a price cut. Companies will usually give a 30% discount or more.
Liability insurance will save you thousands of dollars. A lawsuit arising out of bodily injury, property damage, libel or slander will be insured under this coverage. Take a peek at the most common ways to obtain liability protection.
- Your homeowners policy
- Umbrella insurance
In St. Joseph, MO, liability insurance could mean the difference in a claim being paid or not. For more substantial losses, umbrella insurance is necessary. An umbrella policy will apply when your underlying home limits have been exhausted.
Missouri had 1,060,782,000 home claims reported in 2020 alone. Crime rates will have an impact on your premiums no matter where you live. Take a look at the burglaries per 100,000 households below.
- National average: 376.0
- Missouri average: 444.9
- St. Joseph average: 769.7
In St. Joseph, you have a higher than average rate of burglary. You'll want to make sure you have adequate limits. Every homeowners insurance policy will have theft and vandalism coverage up to the preselected limit.
How a Local Agent Can Help Find Insurance
When you're searching for home insurance in St. Joseph, MO, a trusted adviser can help. There are several options to choose from when obtaining coverage. Your largest asset will need proper protection against a variety of claims.
Fortunately, an independent insurance agent has access to multiple carriers so that you get the best rates in town. Since they work on your behalf at no cost, it's a no-brainer. Get connected with a local expert on TrustedChoice.com to begin.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.