Drivers in Gering, Nebraska are required by law to carry car insurance. This is because accidents can happen to anyone, especially during inclement weather. Whether you are involved in a minor fender-bender on M Street or a major accident on the John McLellan, Jr. Expressway, a good auto insurance policy can protect your finances by covering the resultant damage.
Independent Insurance Agents in Gering can save you time and money when you are looking for the best car insurance policy. These agents can provide you with customized quotes from a variety of insurance providers. That way, you can choose the policy that offers the coverage you need at the most affordable price. Find an insurance agent near you to learn more.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Gering, NE?
In general, car insurance rates in the state of Nebraska are lower than the national average, and in Gering, the costs tend to be lower still. The figures below can give you a ballpark idea of how much a car insurance policy may cost you.
- National average cost per year: $1,311
- Nebraska average cost per year: $1,086
- Gering average cost per year: $1,014
Your actual auto insurance costs will be based on a variety of factors ranging from information about your vehicle to the details about you and other licensed drivers in your household. Rates can also be influenced by the amount of liability coverage you are purchasing, whether you are including any optional coverage, and the size of your deductible. Every insurance company has its own way of assessing risk and calculating rates. That is why comparison shopping can prove quite beneficial. It enables you to choose the policy that gives you the coverage you want at the most competitive price. Independent agents in Gering make comparison shopping fast and easy.
What Are the Car Insurance Requirements for Vehicle Owners in Gering?
As a vehicle owner in Gering, you are required to carry car insurance that meets or exceeds Nebraska’s minimum coverage requirements. All policies in this state must include at least the following:
- Liability insurance: To cover third-party injuries and damage that you may cause to others if you are responsible for a collision.
- Bodily injury liability: You must have at least $25,000 in coverage per person and $50,000 in coverage per accident.
- Property damage liability: You must have at least $25,000 in coverage per accident.
- Uninsured motorist insurance: To cover your damage and injuries if you are in a collision that was caused by an uninsured, underinsured, or hit-and-run driver.
These liability requirements may seem high. However, if you cause a major collision that results in serious injuries, your costs are likely to exceed what a minimum-coverage policy will pay for. In that case, you would be expected to make up the difference out-of-pocket, and, for many, this can be financially devastating.
That is why many Gering residents opt to purchase vehicle liability coverage in amounts that are significantly higher than what the state requires. You may also want to consider purchasing an umbrella insurance policy if you wish to have even more liability coverage than your car insurance can provide. An independent agent can help you compare costs for different levels of liability coverage so that you can find out how much you can reasonably afford.
What Else Can Gering Car Insurance Cover?
In addition to the coverage required by the state, your auto insurance provider will offer a variety of coverage options that you can choose from. These include:
- Collision and comprehensive insurance: These are designed to cover damage to your own vehicle. Collision insurance covers collision-related damage, regardless of fault, while comprehensive insurance covers non-collision damage. Each is typically required by lenders if you are still paying for your vehicle and by dealerships if you are leasing it.
- Personal injury protection (PIP): This is designed to cover the cost of treating injuries sustained by you or your passengers in a collision, regardless of fault.
- Towing and roadside assistance: This is designed to cover the cost of roadside assistance in the event that your car becomes disabled while you are out on the road.
- Gap insurance: This is designed to cover the gap between what your vehicle is worth and what you still owe for it in the event that it is totaled in a covered event. This is particularly important for owners of new cars, which rapidly depreciate in value.
- Rental car reimbursement: This is designed to cover the cost of renting a comparable vehicle while yours is being repaired due to damage sustained in a covered event.
Talk to your local insurance agent to learn more about these coverage options and to discover how much each will cost you.
Is Your Vehicle Covered against Auto Theft?
The good news is that the overall auto theft rate in Nebraska is lower than the national average, and in Gering, the risk is even lower. This is not to say it does not exist. There are about 5 car thefts reported in this city in an average year.
- National number of thefts per 1,000 vehicles: 2.94
- Nebraska number of thefts per 1,000 vehicles: 2.26
- Gering number of thefts per 1,0000 vehicles: 0.71
Of course, you probably don’t spend all your time in Gering, so if you have a high-value vehicle, you may want to be sure it is covered in the event of a theft. Know that you can only be reimbursed for a car theft if your policy includes comprehensive, or “other than collision,” coverage. Even though your risk of auto theft is low, that does not mean you should skimp on comprehensive insurance. This optional coverage can also reimburse you for loss or damage caused by other risks such as fires, floods, and hailstones.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Gering, NE?
Independent agents make it easy to find the best car insurance. A local agent can answer your insurance-related questions and obtain a variety of customized quotes on your behalf. Your agent may even be able to help you earn significant discounts by bundling your auto coverage with another policy such as homeowners insurance or renters insurance.
Find an independent insurance agent in or near Gering to learn more and get started.
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.