Nebraska state law requires drivers in North Platte to carry car insurance. Even the best drivers can sometimes get into accidents. Whether you are involved in a minor fender-bender on Jeffers Street or you cause a multi-car collision on I-80, a reliable auto insurance policy can protect your finances. Finding the best and most affordable car insurance policy is easy when you work with an independent insurance agent in North Platte.
Use our independent agent matching system to find the best insurance plan in your area. You tell us what you’re looking for, and our technology will recommend the best agents for you. Any information you provide will be sent to only the agents you pick. We do not sell to third parties.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Nebraska?
- National average cost per year: $1,311
- Nebraska average cost per year: $1,086
- 38th most expensive auto premium in the US
The good news is that car insurance is less expensive in Nebraska than it is in many other states. The bad news is that if you are an inexperienced driver or you have a lot of moving violations on your record, your rates are bound to be significantly higher than the averages listed above. Insurance companies will determine your rate based on a number of factors such as:
- The make, model, and year of your vehicle(s)
- The driving record and claims history of all licensed drivers in your household
- The amount of liability coverage you wish to purchase
- The approximate number of miles you drive your vehicle each year
- Whether you are bundling your coverage with another policy like home insurance
Every insurance company has a different way of calculating rates. That is why comparing rates is a good idea. Comparison shopping lets you be sure that the policy you are purchasing is not overpriced.
Nebraska Car Insurance Requirements
- Bodily injury liability: Required
- Property damage liability: Required
- Personal injury protection (PIP): Not required
- Uninsured motorist coverage: Required
- Minimum liability limits: 25/50/25; coverage up to $50,000 for all persons injured in an accident, subject to a limit of $25,000 for one individual; and $25,000 coverage for property damage.
In most cases, if you are responsible for an accident, these minimum coverage amounts will be sufficient to cover you. However, if you cause an accident that results in significant injuries or property damage, the costs may exceed the limits of a minimum coverage policy. In that case, you will have to make up the difference yourself. Many drivers in North Platte, therefore, opt to buy auto liability insurance at higher coverage levels than the state requires. Doing so can help you protect your assets. An independent agent can help you compare costs for different levels of coverage so you can know how much you can reasonably afford.
Number of Uninsured Motorists in Nebraska
The rate of uninsured drivers in Nebraska is much lower than in most of the country, but these drivers still pose a threat.
- How many US drivers are uninsured? 12.6%.
- How many Nebraska drivers are uninsured? 6.7%.
If you are in an accident that is the fault of an uninsured driver, that person is responsible for compensating you for your damage and injuries. Unfortunately, even with a court order, it can be very difficult to collect the money that is owed to you. That is why uninsured motorist coverage was created. This insurance, which is required in Nebraska, covers you if you are in a collision with an uninsured or hit-and-run driver. Your insurance company will absorb the costs if they are unable to collect from the responsible driver.
Number of Auto Thefts in North Platte, NE
The auto theft rate in Nebraska is lower than the national average. In North Platte, where fewer than 50 vehicle thefts are reported each year, the risk is even lower.
- National auto theft rate: 2.94
- Nebraska auto theft rate: 2.26
- North Platte auto theft rate: 1.70
This is good news for residents of North Platte since it can help to keep insurance costs affordable. Be aware that you cannot receive compensation for a stolen vehicle unless your auto insurance policy includes “other than collision,” or comprehensive, insurance. This optional coverage can also compensate you for other types of non-collision-related damage caused by floods, fires, falling objects, and vandalism.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent?
Savvy car owners in North Platte turn to independent agents for help when they are shopping for auto insurance. Independent agents can work with several different insurance companies so they make it easy to compare quotes. They can also ensure that you receive any policy discounts you may be entitled to.
Find an agent in North Platte to get started on your search for the best car insurance policy.
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.