The largest city in the Nebraska Panhandle, Scottsbluff is home to about 15,000 people. This city offers its residents numerous shopping and dining venues, beautiful scenery, and great schools. If you are among Scottsbluff’s proud property owners, you will want to be sure to protect your investment with a solid homeowners insurance policy. When you are looking for coverage for your Scottsbluff home, a local independent insurance agent can help. Contact an insurance agent near you to learn more and to start comparing customized homeowners insurance quotes.
How Much Does Homeowners Insurance Cost in Scottsbluff, NE?
The average cost of homeowners insurance in Nebraska is higher than the national average, but in Scottsbluff, with its abundance of affordable housing, the average rate is lower. This is good news for area residents who are looking for affordable home coverage.
- National yearly premium average: $1,173
- Nebraska yearly premium average: $1,369
- Scottsbluff yearly premium average: $1,073
Keep in mind that the rates listed above are just averages and can only give you a ballpark idea of what your actual costs will be. Rates can vary significantly from one homeowner to the next because they are based on a number of considerations such as:
- The age, size, and value of your home
- The materials used in your home’s construction (e.g., brick, aluminum siding, metal roof, etc.)
- The type of home you are insuring (e.g., single-family home, multi-family home, mobile home, condo, etc.)
- The crime rate and weather risks in the ZIP code where your house is located
- The amount of your deductible
- Whether you are bundling your coverage with other policies like car insurance or life insurance
To find out how much a homeowners insurance policy will actually cost for your Scottsbluff home, you can ask an independent agent to provide you with a variety of customized quotes. Each company has its own method for calculating rates, so comparing quotes lets you choose the policy that offers you the coverage you want at the lowest price.
What Kinds of Damage Does Scottsbluff Homeowners Insurance Cover?
Your homeowners insurance policy is designed to cover you against many of the risks you are likely to face as a property owner in Scottsbluff. This includes damage caused by a number of extreme weather events, and Nebraska certain sees its fair share:
Catastrophic events in Nebraska
- Number of federally declared disasters in Nebraska since 1953: 60
- Most common reasons for disasters in the state: Severe Storms
- Average number of tornadoes per year in Nebraska: 54.6
- Average amount paid in home insurance claims per year in NE: $698.6 million
- 1 in 15 insured homes has a claim each year.
Homeowners property coverage is divided into two parts: dwelling and contents. Dwelling insurance covers damage to the structure of your home, while contents insurance covers the personal property inside it. Independent insurance agents can help you be sure you have sufficient coverage to enable you to rebuild and replace it in the event of a major disaster. As a resident of Scottsbluff, you are most at risk for property damage caused by thunderstorms, hailstones, strong winds, freezing temperatures, and heavy snows. There is also the risk of damage caused by accidents in the home, such as an out-of-control cooking fire. Your homeowners insurance can cover damage caused by all of these hazards.
Flood damage also poses a risk to many homeowners in this city, particularly for those who own property near waterways like the North Platte River and the Enterprise Canal. And, of course, many Nebraska residents still remember the flooding caused by the “bomb cyclone” that hit recently. Unfortunately, flood damage is not covered by home insurance. If your property is at risk, an independent insurance agent can help you secure a supplementary flood insurance policy through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). Talk to your insurance agent to learn more.
Why Would Homeowners in Scottsbluff Need Liability Protection?
Your Scottsbluff home insurance policy covers more than just your personal property. It can also shield you against excessive financial losses related to a wide range of potential liability lawsuits. While you may never have to use it, this liability protection can prove very important. Liability lawsuits can prove extremely expensive, even if the courts rule in your favor. Without liability coverage, a lawsuit could cause you to lose your home. Homeowners liability insurance is designed to pay for expenses such as court costs, legal fees, and damages if you are sued for any of a number of covered events. Some examples of times you may need this coverage include:
- If a visitor to your home is severely injured on your property
- If your dog gets loose and bites a neighbor
- If you accidentally cause significant injuries to a friend while playing basketball at the Hunts Acres Community Center
- iI you are accused of libel or slander due to something you posted online
In each of these cases, your home insurance policy is likely to save you from financial damage by covering your associated costs.
What Is the Burglary Rate in Scottsbluff?
The burglary rate in Nebraska is lower than the national average. However, in Scottsbluff, the rate tends to be on the high side. Residents of this small city report about 90 burglaries a year.
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in the US: 4.69
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Nebraska: 3.38
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Scottsbluff: 7.13
You can reduce your risk of being targeted by burglars by taking precautionary steps such as putting lights on timers while you are away from home, keeping doors and windows securely locked, and using a burglar alarm system. Many insurance companies offer discounts to policyholders who have installed home security systems. In the event that your Scottsbluff home is burglarized, your homeowners insurance can provide you with compensation for your losses. You will need to provide a copy of the police report and an itemized list of your lost or damaged property when you file your claim. If needed, your local independent insurance agent can provide you with assistance throughout the claims process.
What about Insurance for Second Homes and Vacation Homes?
Some residents of Scottsbluff own more than one home. Maybe you own a ski lodge in Colorado’s mountains, or perhaps you have a smaller house nearby that you rent to tourists through Airbnb. However you use it, if you own a residential property that is not your primary residence, you are likely to have additional insurance coverage needs.
- When a vacation home is left vacant for long periods, this increases its risk of sustaining significant structural damage. This is why many vacation homes need to be covered by vacant home insurance when not in use.
- When a second home is used as a rental property, it tends to have lower contents coverage needs, but higher liability and structural damage risks. Insurance companies typically require these homes to be covered by landlord insurance.
An independent insurance agent can help you review the coverage needs associated with your additional homes, and can help you find the best and most affordable policies to cover these secondary properties.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Scottsbluff, NE?
Independent insurance agents make it easy to find the most comprehensive and affordable home insurance coverage. This is because, unlike captive agents, they can work with several top-rated insurance companies to obtain multiple customized quotes on your behalf. That way, you can be sure you are buying a reliable policy at a competitive price.
Contact an insurance agent in or near Scottsbluff to begin your search for the best homeowners insurance policy.
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.