Lake Tahoe, Lake Mead and Mohave are just a few of the beautiful boating destinations Nevada has to offer. You can insure your favorite watercraft with boat insurance. It's easy to get quotes on boat insurance for almost any vessel, whether you own a bass boat, fishing boat, power boat, house boat, or a simple canoe. Boat insurance gives you peace of mind that your finances are protected while you sail.
Use our independent agent matching system to find the best insurance plan in your area. You tell us what you’re looking for, and our technology will recommend the best agents for you. Any information you provide will be sent to only the agents you pick. We do not sell to third parties.
Boating Regulations in Nevada
- NV is one of 40 states that require boater education for all who wish to operate a vessel on state waterways.
- Vessels with motors under 15 horsepower do not require a licensed operator.
- Anyone born on or after Jan 1, 1983, must carry proof of passing the boater education course when operating a motorized boat in NV.
- To operate a boat that is towing skiers, you must be at least 16, or over 14 with a licensed adult ready to take control of the vessel.
Boat insurance is not required by the state of Nevada. However, if you suffer an accident on the water, boat insurance can help to protect you from the cost of medical fees, clean up, repairs, and a legal claim against you.
What Kinds of Boats Does Insurance Cover?
You can find quotes on a boat insurance policy for vessels as small as a PWC, and as large as a commercial fishing boat. Here are a few of the popular vessels in Nevada, covered by boat insurance:
- Speed boats
- Fishing boats
- Bass boats
- House boats
If you own multiple boats, or combine your boat insurance with other policies like trailer insurance and auto insurance, you can usually get discounts on your coverage.
Types of Boat Coverage You May Need in NV
Boat insurance functions much like car insurance. It can provide financial protection against the cost of accidents and legal claims related to the use of your boat. These are some of the coverage options you might wish to include in your boat policy:
- Boat liability coverage, to help with the cost of bodily injury and property damage claims, if you cause an accident on the water
- Collision and comprehensive, to pay a set portion of the cost of collisions, trailer accidents, theft, vandalism, and storm damage to your vessel
- Boat towing, to help with the cost of assistance on the water
- Wreckage removal and fuel spill clean-up, to cover part of the expense of recovery and clean-up, if your boat sinks or loses fuel in a lake or river
- Equipment coverage, for special fishing gear and other extras on your boat
If you are not certain what kind of coverage you need for your boat, a local agent can talk with you about your vessel and your boating habits, and help you choose the right kind of policy.
How Do You Save Money on Boat Insurance?
The costs of boat insurance vary from person to person and from boat to boat. If you have a lot of experience on the water and a relatively inexpensive boat, your coverage prices will be very low. If you are new to boating and you own a brand new power boat, your prices will probably be higher.
No matter what kind of vessel you own, you can usually save money on your boat insurance by bundling your coverage with other policies you need, like trailer insurance, car insurance, and umbrella policies. You might also get discounts for paying the entire year up front, or for having a safe driving record.
Get the Best Quotes on Boat Insurance in Nevada
The best way to get the right quotes on boat insurance is to talk to an independent agent. Independent agents in the Trusted Choice® network can access quotes and coverage from many different insurance companies. They can also bundle your boat coverage with other policies you need, to get you discounts and save you time each month. Contact a local agent right here in Nevada, to get the boat insurance and other coverage you need in one convenient step.