Brick, New Jersey is the state’s 13th largest municipality with a population of over 75,000. Most of Brick Township is located on the mainland, with part of the municipality lying on a barrier island that separates Barnegat Bay from the Atlantic Ocean. Brick is usually considered to be a very safe city, but crime is increasing in the area. The city is also susceptible to severe storms and hurricanes that can be a serious threat to property.
That’s why Brick homeowners need home insurance that covers their risks. Having reliable, responsive homeowners insurance means having peace of mind in the face of unpleasant events. Independent insurance agents in Brick can help you find the best and most affordable insurance coverage for your home. Find a local agent to learn more, and start comparing quotes today.
Liability Insurance for Brick Homeowners
Your home insurance policy covers your home’s structure and your belongings. It also includes liability coverage, which is designed to help you pay for a variety of expenses if you are sued for negligence. If someone is injured on your property, your liability coverage will pay for the medical expenses related to the accident.
If that person sues you for additional damages, your liability coverage pays for attorney fees, court costs, and any settlements or judgments that you are required to pay to the injured party. Consider these examples of when your homeowners liability coverage is invaluable:
- A guest in your home trips on loose carpeting and breaks their ankle.
- Your child hits a baseball through a neighbor’s window.
- Your dog bites a passerby.
- You are accused of libel or slander because of something you posted on social media.
Learn more about liability insurance from your independent agent. You might find you need more coverage than your home insurance policy allows. In this case, you can purchase a personal umbrella policy, which offers liability coverage beyond what is provided in your home or auto insurance policy.
Cost of Homeowners Insurance in Brick, NJ
New Jersey is the 21st most expensive state for home insurance in the US. The average cost of homeowners coverage in Brick is lower than the national average and other areas of the state. But that doesn’t mean you should pay more than you have to.
- National average yearly premium: $1,173
- New Jersey average yearly premium: $1,149
- Brick average yearly premium: $944
Comparing quotes from multiple insurance companies and making sure you are maximizing your discounts is the best way to make sure you’re getting the best rate on your Brick home insurance. Expect your rates to be more or less than the average for your city, depending on individual factors such as:
- The size, age, and value of your house
- Whether the property is your primary residence or a second home
- The number of stories in your house and whether it has a basement
- The crime rate and weather risks in your ZIP code
- Your claims history and credit score
- The amount of coverage you need and your deductible
Every insurance company has a different formula for calculating insurance premiums. Ultimately, they want to predict how risky you are to insure, or how likely you are to file a costly claim. If your property’s location comes with more hazards than most, expect to pay more. You will also pay more if your home will cost more to repair or rebuild than others.
The best way to make sure you are getting the best price for your unique home is to compare quotes from multiple insurance companies. A local independent agent can help you do just that and can guide you through the process to ensure you are getting the coverage you need.
Save on Home Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
Burglary Rate in Brick, NJ
The burglary rate in New Jersey is lower than the national average, but in Brick, it's higher than the state average.
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in the US: 4.69
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in New Jersey: 2.83
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Brick: 3.49
Your home insurance is designed to reimburse you for loss or damage following a break-in, theft, or even vandalism. But remember, you have to pay your deductible first, and your insurance company will handle the rest. Don’t wait until it’s too late. Take precautions to protect your home from burglaries, and remember that having a home security system is one of the best ways to keep burglars out. What’s more, homes with burglar alarms often qualify for extra discounts on home insurance.
Catastrophic Events in New Jersey
Severe storms and hurricanes are the biggest property threats in New Jersey.
In recent years, Brick Township received the highest snow accumulation (30 inches) recorded in the state during the North American blizzard, and Hurricane Sandy devastated parts of Brick and other coastal towns in New Jersey.
- Number of declared disasters in New Jersey: 51
- Most common reasons for disasters in the state: Severe Storms and Hurricanes
- Average number of tornadoes per year in New Jersey: 51
- Average amount of property damage per year in New Jersey: $1,078,146,000
- 1 in 15 insured homes has a claim each year
Homeowners insurance is designed to cover you against a variety of hazards you face as a Brick homeowner. Fires, severe weather, and break-ins can cause significant damage to your home, and without home insurance, you’d have to pay for repairs on your own. And with the threat of severe weather and hurricanes in Brick, home insurance is even more essential. While hurricanes are infrequent, they can wipe out your entire property.
An insurance agent can help you review your structure and contents coverage limits so you can be sure that they are high enough to enable you to rebuild, repair, or replace if necessary. And remember that you need separate flood insurance to cover damage to your home caused by a flood—even one that is a result of a hurricane. Flood insurance is only available through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), but your local independent agent can help you learn about coverage and purchase a policy.
Second Home and Vacation Home Insurance
Maybe you own a vacation home on the Jersey Shore or elsewhere. Or perhaps you rent a “shore house” to vacationers or offer an apartment for rent in town. If you own a second home, vacation home, or rental property, you need to ensure you have appropriate coverage for how each property is used.
- Vacation homes may only be occupied seasonally or on weekends. These properties are often targets for thieves, and property damage that occurs while you are gone can go unnoticed for long periods and get worse. Vacant home insurance may be needed in these situations.
- Vacation homes on the Jersey Shore may face an increased risk for floods or hurricanes. Flood insurance is likely to be necessary for most coastal homes.
- Landlord insurance can help you cover the specific risks you face if you rent a home to tenants.
A local independent agent can help you review the unique coverage needs of any additional properties that you own, and can obtain competitive quotes to make sure you’re getting the best price.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent?
Independent insurance agents in your city can help you find a reliable, affordable home insurance policy. Independent agents aren’t tied to one company, so you can be sure you are getting honest, unbiased advice.
Contact an agent in Brick to start comparing customized home insurance quotes.
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.