With more than 27,000 residents, Englewood, New Jersey is a great place to call home. This city offers a diverse population, numerous parks, and recreational facilities, and a relatively low crime rate. It is little wonder that so many opt to purchase homes here. If you are among them, you will want to be sure to protect your investment with a solid homeowners insurance policy. Independent Insurance Agents can help you find the best and most affordable insurance coverage for your Englewood home. Find an insurance agent near you to learn more, and you can soon start comparing customized homeowners insurance quotes from a variety of reputable insurers.
How Much Does Homeowners Insurance Cost in Englewood, NJ?
While the average cost of homeowners insurance in New Jersey is comparable to the national average rate, costs in Englewood tend to be on the more expensive side. This may have to do with the high home values in this city as well as Englewood’s proximity to the Atlantic coast. Shopping around for the best price can potentially save you hundreds of dollars a year.
- National average yearly premium: $1,173
- New Jersey average yearly premium: $1,149
- Englewood average yearly premium: $2,110
Actual home insurance costs are calculated on a case-by-case basis according to a number of specific factors such as:
- The size, age, and value of your house
- Whether the property you are insuring is your primary residence
- The type of home you are insuring (e.g., single-family detached home, condo, manufactured home, etc.)
- The number of stories in your home and whether it has a basement
- The crime rate and weather risks in your ZIP code
- Your claims history and credit score
- Whether you are bundling your coverage with another policy like car insurance or life insurance
Comparing quotes enables you to choose the homeowners policy that offers the best value for the coverage you want. Independent insurance agents in Englewood make comparison shopping easy.
Burglary Rate in Englewood
The burglary rate in Englewood is slightly higher than the average for the state, but it is still well below the national average. Residents of this city report about 100 burglaries in a typical year.
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in the US: 4.69
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in New Jersey: 2.83
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Englewood: 3.10
If your home is burglarized, your homeowners insurance can reimburse you for the resultant loss and damage. It is a good idea to take precautionary steps to lower your risk of being targeted by thieves, such as putting lights on timers while you are away, making sure all windows and doors are securely locked, and keeping entryways well-lit and unobstructed. The most effective theft deterrent you can use is a burglar alarm. Many insurance companies even offer discounts to policyholders who have installed home security systems. Learn more about this and other potential discounts by talking to your local insurance agent.
Catastrophic Events in Englewood
Your homeowners insurance policy is designed to cover you against many of the hazards you are likely to face as a property owner in Englewood. This includes everything from out-of-control kitchen fires to hailstorms.
- Number of federally declared disasters in New Jersey: 51
- Most common reasons for disasters in the state: Severe Storms and Hurricanes
- Average number of tornadoes per year in New Jersey: 2.0
- Average amount of property damage per year in NJ: $1.08 billion
- 1 in 15 insured homes has a claim each year.
Residents of Englewood are most at risk for damage caused by severe storms and hurricane-induced floods. Although your homeowners insurance will cover storm damage, it will not cover against floods. Fortunately, your local insurance agent can also help you secure an affordable flood insurance policy through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).
Liability Insurance for Englewood Homeowners
Your homeowners insurance also includes liability coverage. This is designed to cover the various expenses (such as court costs, legal defense fees, and damages) that you may accrue if you are responsible for damage related to a covered event. Some examples of situations in which this personal liability coverage can protect you include:
- A guest trips on loose carpeting on your stairway and suffers a serious injury that requires surgery.
- You accidentally injure someone during a friendly game of tag football in Mackay Park.
- Your neighbor’s window is broken by a soccer ball your child kicked while playing in the yard with friends.
- Your dog gets loose and bites a delivery person.
- Somebody sues you for libel or slander because of something you posted on social media.
An independent insurance agent can explain your homeowners liability coverage in greater detail. If you wish to have higher liability limits than your home insurance will allow, your agent can also help you supplement your coverage with a competitively priced umbrella insurance policy.
Second Home and Vacation Home Insurance
If you own more than one home, you will need to cover all of your properties with an appropriate home insurance policy. When a home does not serve as your primary residence, it often has additional risks that insurance companies will take into consideration.
- Vacation homes that are left unoccupied for long periods throughout the year have an increased risk of property damage. In this case, vacant home insurance may be needed while the house is not in use.
- Vacation houses that are located in areas that have a high risk of floods or earthquakes will need to have supplementary flood insurance or earthquake insurance in order to be fully covered since these hazards are not covered by home insurance.
- Second homes that are occupied by tenants have higher liability risks but lower contents coverage needs since your tenants will be expected to cover their own property with renters insurance. You will need the specialized coverage offered by landlord insurance.
An independent insurance agent can help you review the coverage needs of all your properties and can assist you with finding the best and most reasonably priced policies to insure them.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Englewood?
The easiest way to find an ideally priced homeowners policy is by working with an independent insurance agent. These agents work for you, not for a specific insurance company, so you can be sure that you are getting trustworthy guidance as you shop for the coverage you need for your Englewood home. Independent agents in Englewood are ready to help.
Contact an insurance agent near you to start comparing customized home insurance quotes.
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.