Howell Township, New Jersey, is home to approximately 52,000 people. Many are drawn to this township because of the Manasquan Reservoir where activities from fishing to jogging are enjoyed by local residents. If you own a house in Howell Township, you can protect your investment with homeowners insurance policy.
Local independent insurance agents can help you find the best and most affordable coverage for your Howell Township home. Contact an insurance agent near you to start comparing customized homeowners insurance quotes.
How Much Does Homeowners Insurance Cost in Howell Township, NJ?
The average cost of home insurance in this state is slightly lower than the national average. But in Howell Township, the average rate is higher. This makes shopping around for the best rate particularly important.
- National average yearly premium: $1,173
- New Jersey average yearly premium: $1,149
- Howell Township average yearly premium: $1,211
Of course, your actual homeowners insurance quotes are likely to be different from the average rate mentioned above. This is because costs are calculated individually according to several different factors. These can include such things as:
- The age, size, and value of your home
- The number of stories in your house and whether or not it has a basement
- The materials used in the construction of your house
- Your claims history and credit score
- The crime rate and weather risks in your ZIP code
- Whether you are bundling your coverage with other policies like car insurance or life insurance
Each insurance company has its own way of assessing risk and computing rates, so comparing a variety of quotes lets you choose the homeowners insurance policy that offers the coverage you need at the best price. Independent insurance agents in Howell Township make comparison shopping easy.
What Damages Are Covered by Howell Township Home Insurance?
Home insurance policies are designed to cover your property against most of the hazards you are likely to face as a property owner in Howell Township. This includes risks ranging from accidental fires to severe weather events. Dwelling insurance covers the structure of your house, while contents insurance covers the personal belongings inside it.
- Number of federally declared disasters in New Jersey: 51
- Most common reasons for disasters in the state: Severe storms and hurricanes
- Average number of tornadoes per year in New Jersey: 2.0
- Average amount of property damage per year in NJ: $1.08 billion
- 1 in 15 insured homes has a claim each year
Howell Township residents are most at risk for damages caused by severe storms, hail, and heavy winds from hurricanes, and tropical storms. Additionally, freezing temperatures in the winter have the potential to damage your roof and gutters with ice dams and your house due to frozen water pipes. Fortunately these hazards are covered by most home insurance policies.
One thing homeowners insurance does not cover, however, is flood damage. In August 2018, many Howell Township homes sustained damages due to flash flooding caused by heavy rains. Most of the houses that were affected were not located in designated flood zones.
In order to be covered against the risk of flood damage, you will need to supplement your coverage with a flood insurance policy through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). Your local insurance agent can help you obtain an affordable policy.
Why Is Liability Insurance Important for Howell Township Homeowners?
We live in a litigious society. Liability lawsuits can be extremely expensive, and sometimes they can cause so much financial harm that you could potentially lose your home. That is why homeowners insurance also provides you with personal liability insurance as a standard part of every policy.
Homeowners liability insurance is designed to cover court costs, legal fees, and damages if you are sued for a covered event. Some examples of times your homeowners liability coverage may be of use include:
- If a guest in your home is badly injured in an accident that can be attributed to negligence of upkeep on your part.
- If you accidentally cause injuries to someone while you are away from your home, such as while playing a friendly game of football in Deerwood Park.
- If someone in your household, including your children or your pets, causes injuries or property damage to a third party.
- If you are accused of libel due to something you posted online.
If you want to have more liability coverage than your home insurance will provide, you can supplement your policy with umbrella insurance. This is a highly affordable way to boost all of your liability coverage. A local independent insurance agent can help you acquire all the liability coverage you want at a competitive price.
Does Howell Township Homeowners Insurance Cover against Burglaries?
The burglary rate in New Jersey is lower than the national rate, and in Howell Township the rate is even lower. This is good news for homeowners who are looking for affordable home insurance coverage.
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in the US: 4.69
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in New Jersey: 2.83
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Howell Township: 1.43
While the risk of a burglary is low, you may gain some peace of mind by knowing that if your house is broken into, your homeowners insurance can reimburse you for your losses as well as for any damage the burglar may have caused.
If you own any particularly valuable possessions, you may need to purchase special endorsements or riders in order for them to be fully covered under your contents coverage. A local independent insurance agent can help you be sure that your property is properly insured.
What about Howell Township Residents with Second Homes and Vacation Homes?
Maybe you maintain a winter vacation home in Florida, or perhaps you have a second home that you rent out for additional income. Whatever your reasons, if you own more than one house, you will need to be sure that all of your properties are covered by appropriate homeowners insurance policies.
When you own a house that does not serve as your primary residence, there are often additional risk factors that insurance companies will take into consideration. In some cases, you may be required to purchase specialized home insurance coverage. For example:
- Vacation properties that are not used for several months out of the year typically have an increased risk of property damage. Your insurer may require you to have vacant home insurance during the times your vacation house is unoccupied.
- Second homes that are occupied by tenants have higher liability risks and a greater chance of sustaining serious property damage. These homes typically need to be covered by landlord insurance.
A local independent insurance agent can help you be certain that all of your residential properties are properly covered by competitively priced policies.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Howell Township, NJ?
The easiest way to obtain the best and most affordable insurance for your Howell Township home is by working a local independent agent. These agents work for you, not for a particular insurance company, so they are able to shop around in order to find you reliable coverage at a competitive rate.
Find an independent insurance agent with an office in Howell Township to learn more. You can start comparing customized homeowners insurance quotes in no time.
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.