Farms in the Rio Rancho area play a major role in keeping the New Mexico economy healthy and robust. There are more than 1,000 farms situated near this city, most of which are small with under ten acres of land. Some of the top commodities produced by farms in the Rio Rancho area include raspberries, tomatoes, eggplants, beans, melons, pecans, chickens, and dairy products.
If you are among the area’s proud farmers, you can help keep your farm or ranch profitable by purchasing farm insurance. Local independent agents can help you find the best farm insurance policy to meet your coverage and budgetary needs. Find an insurance agent near you to learn more.
What Is Farm and Ranch Insurance?
Farm and ranch insurance is specialized coverage that that is tailored to meet the unique insurance needs of farmers and ranchers. It combines protections for your home and personal property with coverage for your farming or ranching business in one easy-to-manage policy package.
An independent insurance agent can help you determine the risks you are likely to face as a farm or ranch owner in the Rio Rancho area, and can recommend the appropriate coverage to protect you against these hazards. That way, you can build a complete policy package that doesn’t leave you with any unintentional coverage gaps.
Rio Rancho Farm Insurance Covers against Liability Risks
Farms and ranches present a number of liability risks. That is why all Rio Rancho farm insurance policies include liability coverage as a standard part of their coverage. This insurance is designed to cover court costs, legal fees, and damages if you are held liable for a covered event.
The following are some examples of farm liability coverage that is available to you:
- Premises liability insurance: This can pay for damage and injuries experienced by visitors, guests, or customers if they are involved in an accident while on your farm or ranch property.
- Product liability insurance: This can pay for illnesses, injuries, or other damage experienced by third parties if caused by a defect in a product that your farm produces and/or sells.
- Personal liability insurance: This is the same as the coverage offered by homeowners liability insurance. It protects the policyholder and household members against accidental damage and injuries caused to others, including accusations of libel or slander.
- Operations liability insurance: This can pay for injuries or property damage experienced by third parties as a result of an accident that occurs in the course of running your farm. For example, if a baler is involved in a collision while crossing a public road that runs through your farmland.
- Farm workers medical payments insurance: Because New Mexico does not require you to cover farm and agricultural workers with workers’ compensation insurance, this leaves many farmer open to liability risks. Farm workers medical payments insurance can minimize this risk by covering the cost of treating work-related injuries suffered by your farmhands.
An independent insurance agent can help you review these and other liability coverage options. Together, you can decide which are a good fit for your particular farm or ranch.
Rio Rancho Farm Insurance Covers Your Property
Wildfires and severe storms pose the biggest risks for farmers in the Rio Rancho area. Fortunately, your farm insurance policy can provide coverage for your expensive farm assets against these and many other hazards that can cause expensive damage to your farm property.
Some of the assets that your Rio Rancho farm insurance policy can cover include:
- Your house: If you live on your farm or ranch, farm insurance can provide you with coverage for the structure of your farmhouse as well as for the personal property inside it. This can replace a traditional homeowners insurance policy.
- Outbuildings: Farm insurance can cover damage to various other buildings and structures on your farmland including stables, barns, silos, garages, and sheds.
- Equipment and machinery: Farm insurance can pay to repair or replace your farm equipment and machinery if it is damaged by a covered event. This coverage is extended to things like tractors, plows, balers, cultivators, and sprayers.
The standard property coverage in your farm insurance policy will typically have exclusions for some types of property. Fortunately, you can purchase endorsements to cover these items. Specialized coverage is available for things like electric fences, livestock, feed, and irrigation systems.
It is important to keep in mind flood damage, which is a very real risk in the Rio Rancho area, particularly during the summer monsoon season. However, coverage for property damage caused by floods is not included in your farm insurance policy. Fortunately, a local independent insurance agent can also help you purchase a government-backed flood insurance policy through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).
Rio Rancho Farm Insurance Offers Additional Coverage Options
Insurance companies offer additional coverage that may make sense for your particular farm or ranch when you are customizing your farm insurance policy. Some of the many specialized coverage options that are typically available to you include:
- Equipment breakdown insurance: While property insurance covers damage sustained by your farm equipment, equipment breakdown insurance covers the cost of repairs if the machinery malfunctions. If a repair will take a long time, this insurance may even cover the cost of renting comparable equipment so you can keep your farm operations running smoothly.
- Debris cleanup and removal insurance: Major disasters like windstorms and wildfires can result in excessive debris on your farm property. This coverage will pay for the cost of a timely clean-up. That way, you can return to normal operations as quickly as possible.
- Crop insurance: This coverage, which is backed by the federal government, is not actually part of farm insurance but is typically purchased in conjunction with a farm insurance policy. It can cover losses related to crop damage as well as sudden drops in commodity values.
Talk to an insurance agent in or near Rio Rancho to learn about these and other coverage offerings. Your agent can help you decide which policy options are right for your particular farm or ranch.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Rio Rancho, NM?
Independent insurance agents can help you build a farm insurance policy that offers comprehensive protection so that you are fully covered against all of the hazards you are likely to face in the Rio Rancho area. Also, because these agents are not tied to one insurance company, they can shop around to find the coverage you need at the most competitive price.
Contact an insurance agent near you to learn more about your options when it comes to farm and ranch insurance and you can soon be comparing a selection of customized quotes.
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.