Find the Best Car Insurance Quotes and Options in New York
The average cost of car insurance in New York is $1,013 per year. That makes car insurance costs in New York lower than the national average of $1,311 per year. But everyone’s car insurance rates will be different based on where they live and their personal characteristics.
No matter where you live, it’s usually important to purchase more than the minimum coverage required by law, so if you have to file a claim, your policy will cover it. While this can cost more, it can make a huge difference when you need it most.
An independent insurance agent can help you find the right car insurance for your needs and budget. Here, we’ll explain some important facts about car insurance in New York.
Best Car Insurance Companies in New York
There are many insurance companies in New York from whom you can purchase car insurance. Which is the best one for you? We’ve selected some of the best car insurance companies in New York to help you get started. Perhaps one of these top carriers will be the best for your needs.
- Best New York Car Insurance Company Overall: USAA
- Best New York Car Insurance Company for Minimum Liability: Erie Insurance
- Best New York Car Insurance Company for Full Coverage: Progressive
- Best New York Car Insurance Company for Young Drivers: Progressive
- Best New York Car Insurance Company for Accident History: Progressive
An independent insurance agent in New York can help you determine if any of these companies have the right car insurance policy for your needs and budget.
Best New York Car Insurance Company Overall: USAA
Our pick for the best car insurance company in New York overall is USAA. The carrier ranks high for claims satisfaction, ease of interaction, customer service, trust, and other important factors.
USAA was founded in 1922 by 25 Army officers who decided to insure each other's vehicles. Over time, the organization grew to serve millions in the military community, offering various personal insurance products and other financial products and services.
USAA’s net worth has surpassed $40 billion. The carrier has more than 13 million members and 37,000 employees. USAA consistently receives high marks for financial stability, including an "A++" rating from AM Best, the highest available.
Unfortunately, not everyone can take advantage of USAA’s superior performance. Only active duty and retired military members and select family members are eligible for USAA membership and insurance coverage.
|Average Monthly Insurance Cost: Car Insurance Policy||Average Annual Insurance Cost: Car Insurance Policy|
Best New York Car Insurance Company for Minimum Liability: Erie Insurance
If you’re looking for minimum liability coverage, Erie Insurance is a top choice for New York residents. The carrier allows customers to get bare minimum auto insurance at around $743 per year.
In addition to minimum coverage policies, Erie offers an extensive array of additional features, endorsements, and add-ons that can boost a basic policy to extend your coverage. The company also has a history of exceptional customer service and claims satisfaction.
Erie Insurance was founded in 1925. Today, Erie is the 13th largest auto insurer in the US. It has been awarded an "A+" (Superior) rating for financial security from AM Best.
|Average Monthly Insurance Cost: Minimum Liability||Average Annual Insurance Cost: Minimum Liability|
Best New York Car insurance Company for Full Coverage: Progressive
One of the best car insurance companies in New York for full coverage is Progressive. The insurance company offers full coverage policies with premiums of around $121 per month.
Progressive receives high marks for financial stability, with an "A+" (Superior) rating from AM Best. Progressive offers standard options like comprehensive and collision coverage and unique options like coverage for pet injuries. The company also touts its Name Your Price Tool, which helps you find the best coverage options for your budget.
Progressive Mutual Insurance Company was founded in 1937 when the company introduced the country’s first drive-in claims location. Progressive is based in Ohio but offers car insurance across all 50 states. New York residents can look to Progressive for most of their personal insurance needs.
|Average Monthly Insurance Cost: Full Coverage Policy||Average Annual Insurance Cost: Full Coverage Policy|
Best New York Car Insurance Company for Young Drivers: Progressive
Drivers between the ages of 16 and 25 typically pay very high car insurance rates because of the extra risk presented by their inexperience behind the wheel. While insuring a teen driver is never cheap, Progressive is one of the best insurance companies for teen drivers in New York.
Car insurance for young drivers in New York can cost around $308 per month with Progressive.
|Average Monthly Insurance Cost: Car Insurance Policy for Young Drivers||Average Annual Insurance Cost: Car Insurance Policy for Young Drivers|
Best New York Car Insurance Company for Accident History: Progressive
Your driving record is one of the most important factors in what you pay for car insurance in New York. All insurance companies want to know if you’ve been at fault for an accident in the past to determine how risky you might be to cover.
In these cases, Progressive again earns a spot on our list of top picks. Progressive is one of the best New York car insurance companies for drivers with an accident history. If you’ve had an at-fault accident, you can get a car insurance policy in New York for about $160 per month from Progressive.
|Average Monthly Insurance Cost: Drivers With Accident History||Average Annual Insurance Cost: Drivers With Accident History|
New York Car Insurance Requirements
Vehicles registered in New York must be covered by a car insurance policy that meets the state's minimum coverage requirements. In New York, you must have the following coverage, at a minimum, to comply with state law and avoid penalties:
- Bodily injury liability coverage: Protects you if you injure or kill someone else while driving your car. It covers an injured party's claims for damages, including medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering. It also covers your legal defense fees if another party involved in the accident sues you. In New York, you must have this coverage in the amount of $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident.
- Property damage liability coverage: Pays for any damage that you cause to the property of others (e.g., another driver’s car) and for your legal defense if you are sued. In New York, you must have this coverage in the amount of at least $10,000 for a single accident.
- Uninsured motorist coverage: Protects you if you are hit by a hit-and-run driver or one who does not have auto liability coverage. It takes the place of liability insurance that the other driver should have but does not. In New York, you must have uninsured motorist coverage of $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident for bodily injury.
- Personal injury protection (PIP): Helps pay for medical, dental, and funeral expenses for you or your passengers, regardless of who is at fault for an accident. In New York, you must have at least $50,000 in personal injury protection.
Optional car insurance coverages in New York include:
- Collision coverage: Covers the cost to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged or totaled in a collision, regardless of fault.
- Comprehensive coverage: Covers the cost to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged or totaled by a non-collision event such as a hailstorm or theft.
- Roadside assistance coverage: Pays for help if you are locked out of your vehicle, run out of gas, or face some other type of problem while out on the road. Your insurance company will help you contact tow trucks, locksmiths, or other forms of assistance as needed, and will reimburse you for the costs of these services up to certain limits.
- Rental reimbursement coverage: Provides payment for a rental car if your vehicle is damaged and you must rent a vehicle while it is being repaired.
- Loan/lease or gap coverage: Pays the difference between what you owe on a vehicle and its cash value if it is totaled.
An independent insurance agent in New York will help you find a car insurance policy that includes the coverage you need.
Save on Car Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
Average Cost of Car Insurance in New York
The average cost of car insurance in New York is $1,013 per year, which is less than the national average of $1,311 per year. Everyone’s car insurance costs differ slightly depending on their personal risk factors (e.g., age, gender, accident history, etc.) and the types and amounts of coverage they select. You can find ways to reduce your car insurance costs in New York by taking advantage of car insurance discounts that you may be eligible for.
Average New York Car Insurance Costs by City
The city where you live is one of the most important factors in what you’ll pay for car insurance in New York. This is because the city’s crime rate, severe weather frequency, traffic density, and more can all impact how at-risk you and your car are for being in an accident, being stolen, or being subject to some other kind of damage (e.g., hail damage).
Mount Vernon has the costliest car insurance in New York at an average of $1,731 per year, or $144 per month. In contrast, Binghamton residents typically pay much less for car insurance, with an average annual car insurance rate of $756.
Finding Car Insurance Discounts in New York
One of the best ways to save on car insurance in New York is to make sure that you take advantage of any car insurance discounts for which you may be eligible. One of the most common discounts is the multi-policy discount, which rewards you with savings if you have more than one policy with the same carrier (e.g., home and auto). The common auto insurance discounts offered in New York include the following:
- Student driver discounts: If you have a student driver in your household, you may be able to take advantage of a good student discount if your child gets a B average or better. Many insurance companies also offer a discount for students who won’t be using their parents’ cars while they are away at school. Your young driver may also be able to receive a discount by participating in an insurance-company-approved or sponsored safe driving course.
- Safe driver discount: Drivers who maintain a clean driving record over a period of time may be able to receive an ongoing discount from their insurance company.
- Anti-theft device discount: Some insurance companies offer discounts when your car has certain anti-theft devices installed.
- Military discount: Active or retired members of the military can often qualify for auto insurance discounts.
- Paperless billing discount: Many insurance companies offer a discount for policyholders who agree to receive paperless billing statements.
- Other car insurance discounts: Being a member of a particular group, such as an employment union, may make you eligible for a car insurance discount specifically for members.
Your independent insurance agent in New York can help you find all the car insurance discounts you qualify for.
How to Find the Best Car Insurance Quote in New York
Finding the best car insurance quote in New York requires comparing several insurance companies and making an informed choice. But you don’t have to go it alone. An independent insurance agent in New York can help you obtain and review quotes from multiple insurance companies and choose the one that offers the best coverage for your needs and budget. An independent agent works for you, free of charge, to help you through the process.
How to File a Car Insurance Claim in New York
Filing a car insurance claim in New York will always be stressful. But if you know what to do in advance, it can help the process to go more smoothly. If you’re in a car accident, here are some tips for filing your insurance claim:
- Check for and tend to injuries: Check yourself, your passengers, and anyone else involved in the accident for injuries. Seek immediate medical treatment for anyone who is injured.
- Call the police: Filing a police report ensures that your accident is on the record and that all appropriate information has been collected. That way, your insurance company will have a reliable source of information about the details of your accident.
- Contact your independent insurance agent: Your New York independent insurance agent can get the process started by connecting you with your insurance company or even filing the claim for you. Your agent can guide you throughout the claims process.
- Schedule an appointment with an adjuster: Your insurance company will likely want to evaluate the damage before you seek repairs for your car. That means you’ll likely need to schedule an appointment with an adjuster who works for your carrier.
- Get repairs: If necessary, get your vehicle repaired by a reputable auto body shop or a shop recommended by your insurance company.
- Get a rental vehicle: If you’re without your car for a while as it's being repaired, consider getting a rental vehicle. If you have rental reimbursement coverage, you’ll have some help paying for the cost of your rental car.
An independent insurance agent can help you through the claims process and answer your questions about how best to file your claim.