Just across the harbor from Manhattan is Staten Island, home to more than 470,000 people. This borough offers cultural attractions and outdoor exploration that you’ll probably need a car to get to. As a driver in Staten Island, having a top-notch car insurance policy is a smart investment.
Collisions can happen anywhere at any time, especially during heavy traffic. A local independent agent can help you find the best policy for you. Find a local independent insurance agent in Staten Island to learn more and start evaluating your customized options.
Car Insurance Requirements in Staten Island, NY
Every driver in Staten Island is required to carry a minimum amount of liability insurance. This will financially protect you if you injure a third party.
- Bodily injury: $25,000 per person/ $50,000 per accident. This will pay costs related to a third party’s injuries, such as medical expenses, hospital visits and rehabilitation.
- Property damage: $10,000 per crash. This will help cover the cost of any damage to a third party’s vehicle or property.
Once your liability coverage has reached its limit, it becomes your responsibility to pay the bill. You may want to consider purchasing additional liability coverage. This will expand your limit and protect your finances.
Personal injury protection is also required in Staten Island. This will cover expenses for injuries that you sustain.
Is Uninsured Motorist Coverage Required?
Yes, in the state of New York all drivers must purchase uninsured motorist coverage. If you get in an accident caused by a driver who does not have enough coverage to pay out, you’ll be covered with this policy.
- National uninsured rate: 13.0%
- New York uninsured rate: 6.1%
An independent agent can help you find your policy. They’ll comparison shop and find you the coverage you want that fits your budget.
Additional Car Insurance Coverage for Your Staten Island, NY Car
Along with purchasing the minimum coverage limits, you can also increase your protection by buying extra coverage. Every insurer offers varying optional coverage, such as:
- Collision insurance: This covers repair or replacement of your car if it is damaged in an accident, regardless of fault.
- Roadside assistance and towing: If you are stuck on the side of the road, this will cover the essential costs for assistance.
- Rental reimbursement coverage: This will cover the cost of renting an alternate car while your car is being repaired following a covered event.
There are so many different coverage options you can choose from that it can be overwhelming. Let an independent agent sort through it for you, so you can pick the best coverages for you.
Vehicle Theft in Staten Island, NY
The crime rate in the area will impact your auto insurance rate.
- National vehicle theft rate per 100,000 vehicles: 228.9
- New York auto theft rate per 100,000 vehicles: 67.2
The below-average crime rate in the state will help keep your rate down. If your car does get broken into, the only way you’ll be reimbursed is with a comprehensive car insurance policy. This will cover part of the bill to fix any damage caused by the theft.
It’s always a good idea to take precautions when leaving your vehicle unattended. Always lock your car (even when it’s parked in your driveway), park on well-lit streets, and never leave any valuables in the car. Connect with an agent to learn more.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Staten Island, NY?
In New York, average car insurance costs are slightly higher than the national average. Taking the time to shop around and evaluate rates could potentially save you hundreds of dollars.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- New York average annual car insurance cost: $1,450
The rates that you receive will differ from one company to another. That’s because each insurance company has their own method to determine risk and calculate rates. Your quotes will be based on factors such as:
- The amount of liability insurance you purchase
- The coverage options you include
- Your driving record and credit score
- The make, model, and year of every vehicle you plan to insure
There are also many car insurance discounts that you can have your independent agent look into. This will help you save even more money on your policy.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Staten Island, NY?
Local independent insurance agents can be an enormous advantage when looking for the best car insurance policy in Staten Island. These insurance experts can explain your coverage options, answer your insurance-related questions, and help you assess offerings from multiple insurance providers. Contact a local independent insurance agent to get started.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.