Even the most experienced drivers can sometimes find themselves in vehicule accidents. That is why vehicle owners in Utica are required by state law to have auto insurance. From fender benders on Oriskany Street to multi-car collisions on I-90, a reliable auto insurance policy can shield you from a large financial loss in the wake of a collision.
Finding the best car insurance is easy when you work with a local independent insurance agent. An agent in Utica can provide you with a variety of customized auto insurance quotes so you can be sure you are purchasing a reliable policy at a competitive price. Find an independent insurance agent near you to get started.
Minimum Car Insurance Requirements in New York State
As a resident of New York, your car insurance policy must include, at the very least, the following:
- Bodily injury liability: Required
- Property damage liability: Required
- Personal injury protection (PIP): Required
- Uninsured motorist coverage: Required
- Minimum liability limits: 25/50/10; coverage up to $50,000 for all persons injured in an accident, subject to a limit of $25,000 for one individual; and $10,000 coverage for property damage.
While a minimum-coverage policy may be your least expensive option, it is not always the best choice. An accident that results in significant property damage or serious injuries can easily exceed what a minimum coverage policy will cover. If you cause a collision and your insurance limits are too low, you will be expected to make up the difference out of pocket.
That is why many Utica vehicle owners purchase car insurance with much higher liability insurance limits than the state of New York requires. Some residents also purchase umbrella insurance in order to boost their liability coverage even further. Your insurance agent can help you find the liability coverage you need at a price you can afford.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Utica?
The average cost of car insurance in Utica is higher than the state average, but lower than the national average. Shopping around for coverage enables you to compare rates and find the policy that comes at the best price.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- New York average annual car insurance cost: $1,013
- Utica average annual car insurance cost: $1,196
Of course, your actual quoted rates may differ significantly from the city average. Car insurance costs are calculated individually according to several different considerations. Examples of things that can influence your rate include:
- The make, model, year and trim of your vehicle(s)
- Your age, gender, occupation, driving history, and credit score
- Details about other drivers in your household, unless they are specifically excluded from your coverage
- The estimated number of miles you drive your car each year
- Where you live and park your car
- The accident and auto theft rates in the vicinity of your home
- Whether you are bundling your coverage with another policy like home insurance or renters insurance
Because rates are based on risk, a middle-aged woman driving a minivan will likely be quoted much lower rates than a teen driver insuring a muscle car. An independent insurance agent in Utica can help you easily obtain and review customized car insurance quotes from a variety of highly-rated insurers.
Number of Uninsured Motorists in New York
Driving without insurance in New York is illegal. If you are caught, you will face expensive fines and fees, you can have your license suspended and your car impounded, and could potentially even face jail time.
- How many US drivers are uninsured? 12.6%.
- How many New York drivers are uninsured? 5.3%.
New York has one of the lowest uninsured driver rates in the country. Still, about one in twenty motorists on the road with you is driving an uninsured vehicle. Uninsured motorist insurance ensures that you will get the compensation you deserve quickly and easily if you are in a collision that is caused by an uninsured, underinsured, or hit-and-run driver.
Uninsured motorist insurance is optional in many states, but in New York, it is required. This insurance saves you from the hassle of taking the person who caused the collision to court in order to collect what is owed to you. Instead, your insurance company will attempt to collect from the responsible driver, and will absorb the costs if they are unsuccessful.
Auto Thefts in Utica, NY
The auto theft rate in New York is lower than the national average, and in Utica, the rate is even lower. This is not to say that the risk does not exist. There are about 100 cars thefts reported in this city in a typical year.
- National auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.94
- New York auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 1.72
- Utica auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 1.40
You cannot be compensated for a stolen car unless your auto insurance policy includes comprehensive, or “other than collision,” insurance. This insurance is optional, but most lenders will require you to have it until your vehicle is paid in full. Just because the auto theft rate in Utica is low does not mean you should forgo this coverage.
Comprehensive insurance covers far more than just theft. It can also reimburse you for loss and damage to your car caused by a variety of other non-collision hazards such as falling objects, heavy winds, floods, fires, and vandalism.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent?
As a vehicle owner in Utica, you can turn to a local independent agent for assistance when you are searching for the best auto insurance policy to meet your coverage and budgetary needs. These agents are free to work with a number of different insurance providers so they can help you find the most affordable policy.
Find an independent insurance agent in or near Utica to learn more. You can start comparing customized car insurance quotes in no time.
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.