Bordered by Long Island Sound to the east and the Hudson River to the west, Westchester offers unique outdoor explorations. To experience all this city has to offer, you’ll need a car. Having a reliable auto insurance policy is a smart investment to ensure you can enjoy all Westchester has to offer.
Get matched with an independent insurance agent today. They’ll help compare numerous quotes with the coverage you need at the price you want.
Vehicle Thefts in Westchester, NY
The crime rate in your neighborhood will impact your car insurance rate. The more likely a theft is to occur, the higher your premium will be.
- National auto theft rate per 100,000 vehicles: 228.9
- New York auto theft rate per 100,000 vehicles: 67.2
Even though the risk of someone stealing your car is lower in Westchester, it is important to remember you’ll only be reimbursed for car theft if your car insurance policy includes comprehensive coverage. This will also provide coverage for broken windows, damaged locks, and stolen belongings.
If you’re leasing your car or still making payments, you’ve probably already purchased comprehensive coverage. If not, talk to your independent agent to learn how much it will cost you to add this policy to your car insurance coverage.
Required Car Insurance in Westchester, NY
All drivers in Westchester must purchase a minimum amount of car insurance coverage to protect themselves and others.
- Bodily injury: $25,000 per person/ $50,000 per accident
- Property damage: $10,000 per accident
- Personal injury protection: $50,000 per accident
- Uninsured motorist coverage: $25,000 per person / $50,000 per accident
Your bodily injury and property damage liability coverage will help you pay the bill if you’re at fault the accident. It will pay for medical expenses and vehicle damage that you caused to a third party. Once your limit’s been reached, you’ll be left with the bill. You may want to purchase additional liability coverage or an umbrella policy that will help with the rest of the expenses.
Personal injury protection coverage will help pay for the injuries that you sustain no matter who is at fault. It will cover your stay at the hospital, medication, physical therapy, and other long-term professional health services if your injuries require them.
If you’re in an accident with a driver who doesn’t have enough car insurance, your uninsured motorist coverage will kick in and help with the bill. 6.1% of drivers in the state are uninsured, so this policy will keep you financially secure if this happens.
Additional Car Insurance Options in Westchester, NY
Purchasing additional coverage in your policy will provide financial protection where your standard car insurance policy won't.
- Collision coverage: If you’re involved in an accident with another vehicle or object, this will help pay to repair or replace your car.
- Rental reimbursement coverage: While your own vehicle is being repaired, this will help pay for a rental car.
- Ridesharing coverage: If you drive for Uber or Lyft, this will help cover expenses if you’re in an accident that your normal car insurance policy doesn’t cover.
Need help understanding which coverages are best for you? An independent insurance agent can go over all your options and help you decide which ones are most beneficial for you. Enlist an agent to help.
How Much Is Car Insurance Going to Cost in Westchester, NY?
The typical cost of car insurance in New York tends to be higher than the national average.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- New York average annual car insurance cost: $1,450
- Westchester, NY average annual car insurance cost: $1,784
Insurance rates can vary from one individual to another, since all insurers have their own technique of determining risk and calculating rates. Some factors that your car insurance quote will be based on:
- Your credit score and driving record
- The make, model, and year of the vehicles being insured
- Your age, gender, occupation, and marital status
- Coverage options included in your policy
You may qualify for car insurance discounts such as multi-car policy, safe driver, or anti-theft. Let an independent insurance agent help you in comparing rates and finding the discounts you qualify for. They can help you get the car insurance coverage that meets your budget.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Westchester, NY?
Independent insurance agents can be helpful when searching for the best car insurance policy. They are specialists in their field and can help explain your coverage options, answer insurance-related questions, and help you evaluate multiple quotes from numerous insurance firms. Connect with an agent in Westchester to get started.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.