Even the most careful drivers can sometimes cause accidents. That is why vehicle owners in Yonkers are required to have car insurance. From fender benders on Yonkers Avenue to multi-car collisions on the Sprain Brook Parkway, a reliable auto insurance policy can shield you from facing large financial loss in the aftermath of an accident.
Independent insurance agents in Yonkers make shopping around for the best car insurance easy stress-free. These agents can provide you with a variety of customized auto insurance quotes so you can be sure you are getting a great policy at an affordable price. Find an insurance agent near you to get started.
New York Minimum Car Insurance Requirements
If you own a car in New York, you are required to have car insurance that meets or exceeds the following minimum requirements:
- Bodily injury liability: Required
- Property damage liability: Required
- Personal injury protection (PIP): Required
- Uninsured motorist coverage: Required
- Minimum liability limits: 25/50/10; coverage up to $50,000 for all persons injured in an accident, subject to a limit of $25,000 for one individual; and $10,000 coverage for property damage.
Your least expensive option is to simply buy a policy that merely meets the state’s minimum coverage requirements. However, minimum-coverage car insurance is not necessary the best choice.
If you are responsible for a major accident that results in serious injuries and property damage, your liability costs can easily exceed what a minimum-coverage policy will cover. In that case, you would be expected to make up the difference out of pocket. That is why many Yonkers vehicle owners choose to purchase car insurance with higher-than-required liability limits.
If you wish to have even more liability coverage than your car insurance policy will allow, you can also purchase umbrella insurance. This type of insurance is an affordable way to significantly boost your liability coverage and better protect your assets.
How Much Does Auto Insurance Cost in Yonkers, NY?
New York is among the least expensive states for car insurance. The average cost for coverage in this state is lower than the national rate. However, in Yonkers, rates tend to be much higher. This makes shopping around for the best rate particularly important.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- New York average annual car insurance cost: $1,013
- Yonkers average annual car insurance cost: $1,890
Bear in mind that auto insurance rates can vary significantly from one driver to the next, so the figures listed above can only give you a ballpark idea of what your actual costs might be. This is because rates are calculated individually according to several factors including such things as:
- The make, model, year, and trim of the vehicle(s) you are covering
- The number of vehicles you will be including on your policy
- Whether you own or rent your home
- Your age, occupation, claims history, and credit score
- Details about moving violations you may have on your driving history
- Information about the other drivers in your household
- The approximate number of miles you drive your vehicle each year
- How much coverage you are purchasing and the amount of your deductible
- The accident and auto theft rates in the vicinity of your home
You can frequently score lower rates if you qualify for certain discounts, such as for having a safe driving record or for bundling your coverage with another policy like home insurance or renters insurance. Your independent insurance agent can make sure that you get any discounts you are entitled to.
Number of Uninsured Motorists in New York
The penalties for driving an uninsured vehicle in the state of New York can include fines of up to $1,500, the suspension of your driving privileges, the revocation of your license plates, the impounding of your vehicle, and even potential jail time. It is therefore little wonder that New York has one of the lowest rates of uninsured drivers in the nation.
- How many US drivers are uninsured? 12.6%.
- How many New York drivers are uninsured? 5.3%.
Although the rate in this state is low, it still means that one in twenty drivers who are sharing the roadways with you is operating an uninsured vehicle. That is why uninsured motorist insurance is so important. Though it is optional in many states, this insurance is required in New York.
Uninsured motorist insurance guarantees that you will receive the compensation you deserve if an uninsured, underinsured, or hit-and-run driver is responsible for a collision with your vehicle. Your insurance company will then take over the difficult task of collecting the money owed by the at-fault driver, and will absorb the costs if unsuccessful.
Number of Auto Thefts in Yonkers
The auto theft rate in New York State is lower than the national average, and in Yonkers, it is even lower. This is not to say that the risk does not exist. There are more than 200 vehicles stolen in this city every year.
- National auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.94
- New York auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 1.72
- Yonkers auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 1.26
You must have comprehensive coverage included in your car insurance policy in order for you to be compensated for an auto theft. This “other than collision” coverage is not required by law, but it is required by most lenders until your vehicle loan is paid in full.
Comprehensive insurance gives you coverage for a wide variety of non-collision damage to your car. This includes damage caused by such things as fallen trees, hail, windstorms, floods, fires, and property crimes. Talk to your insurance agent to learn how much including this optional coverage will cost you.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent?
As a vehicle owner in Yonkers, you can turn to a local independent insurance agent for assistance when you are searching for the best car insurance to meet your coverage and budgetary needs.
Independent agents are free to work with several different insurance companies, so they can obtain a variety of customized quotes to help you find the coverage you want at a price you can afford. Contact an independent insurance agent with an office in or near Yonkers to learn more.
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.