There are 221 fire stations and 11,600 fire fighters in New York City alone and nearly 1,500 fire stations throughout the state. Fire is an ever-present danger and New York has been actively fighting this threat through fire prevention and education programs.
The fire service is there to protect and help, but it can’t prevent fires from happening. The damages caused by a fire can be excessive and costly. Fortunately, you can protect yourself from large financial losses if you have the right insurance. Contact an independent agent in the Trusted Choice® network to learn more and to receive a variety of New York fire insurance quotes.
New York State Fire Statistics
- New York firefighters responded to 88,077 fires in that year
- These fires caused $177 million in damages
- More than 1,600 NY state residents were injured in fires
- Of these, 196 fire-related injuries proved fatal
New York Fire Insurance Covers Your Home
Fire is unforgiving, and if one rages out of control in your home, it can lead to a total loss. Whether you rent or own your home, it's important to have sufficient insurance coverage so that the devastating effects of a fire do not cause you financial hardships. Here are some insurance options you should consider:
- Building coverage: If you rent your home, you do not need to worry about covering damages to the structure of the building itself. The same is true as a condominium or townhome owner. This will be covered by your landlord’s insurance or by your condo association’s master insurance policy. Traditional homeowners, on the other hand, must carry enough building coverage to allow them to repair and recover, or to completely rebuild their home if necessary. Owners of mobile homes also need to be concerned about fire coverage.
- Contents coverage: Regardless of whether or not you own your home, protecting the contents from fire damage can also be a concern. Your homeowners, condominum, or renters insurance usually provides coverage for fire damage to your items. This includes everything from the cookware in your kitchen to the clothes in your closet. If you own any extremely valuable items, such as original artwork or fine jewelry, it's a good idea to have it appraised before you purchase a policy. You may need to purchase additional insurance riders to fully insure these valuables.
Home values change as do the value of the possessions in your home. You are therefore strongly advised to revisit your insurance coverage amounts every five years and adjust your home insurance coverage accordingly. Agents in the Trusted Choice network can help you assess your coverage needs and can ensure that your home insurance policy provides you with sufficient fire insurance coverage.
New York Fire Insurance Covers Your Vehicles
If a fire breaks out in the garage of your home, for example, your car or truck can be totaled. If you carry comprehensive coverage with your auto insurance policy, you will be eligible to receive compensation if your vehicle is damaged by a fire.
Comprehensive coverage is not mandatory by law, but it may be required by your lender if you have financed the purchase of your vehicle. If you have purchased auto insurance only at the state minimum requirements, you will not have comprehensive coverage. An agent in the Trusted Choice network can explain more and can provide you with quotes for this added insurance so you can see what it will cost you to cover your vehicle against fire damage.
New York Fire Insurance Covers Other Property
If you are a business owner in this state, you likely have a business insurance policy. You will want to be sure that the building and property coverage provided by your policy is sufficient to fully cover your business if it is damaged by a fire. If your business has grown significantly since you purchased your policy, you may own more materials and equipment and should adjust your business insurance policy to meet your new coverage needs.
Furthermore, if you own an ATV, boat, RV or other recreational vehicle, your homeowners insurance policy may provide you with some compensation if they are damaged by fire while stored on your property. Otherwise, you may have no recourse unless your property is covered by comprehensive insurance. You have likely spent a lot of money on your boat, ATV, or PWC, so you will want to be sure that they are properly insured against all sorts of damages, including fire. Comprehensive coverage for this type of property probably costs less than you think.
Compare New York Fire Insurance Quotes
An insurance agent in the Trusted Choice network can help you be sure that you are property covered for fire damage. These independent agents work with several different insurance companies and can provide you with a variety of customized policies at competitive rates. This saves you from the hassles associated with comparison-shopping.
There are several Trusted Choice member agents with offices in the state of New York. It is easy to find an agent conveniently located near your home who can help you with all of your insurance-related needs. Contact a local member agent today to get more information about New York fire insurance coverage.