Located on the outskirts of New York City, Mount Vernon is home to nearly 69,000 people. From its largely urban Southside to its residential Northside, this city has something for everyone. Houses are expensive in Mount Vernon, so it is important that as a property owner, you protect the investment you have made in your residence with a suitable homeowners insurance policy.
Independent insurance agents can help you find the best and most affordable insurance coverage for your Mount Vernon home. Find an insurance agent near you to learn more, and you can soon start comparing customized homeowners insurance quotes.
Cost of Homeowners Insurance in Mount Vernon, NY
New York is the 15th most expensive state for home insurance in the US. The average home insurance cost in this state is slightly higher than the national rate. In Mount Vernon, with its high property values and proximity to the coast, the average rate is even higher. Shopping around for coverage can help you find a great policy at an affordable price.
- National average yearly premium: $1,173
- New York average yearly premium: $1,287
- Mount Vernon average yearly premium: $1,584
The quotes you get from insurance companies will most likely differ from the average rate shown above. This is because costs are calculated individually based on a number of specific factors. Your home insurance costs can be influenced by such things as:
- The size, age, construction, and value of your house
- Whether the property you are insuring serves as your primary residence
- The type of home you are insuring (e.g., single-family detached home, multi-family home, condo, etc.)
- The number of stories in your home and whether the house has a basement
- The crime rate and weather risks in your ZIP code
- Your claims history and credit score
- Whether you are bundling your coverage with another policy like car insurance, life insurance, or business insurance
Comparing quotes enables you to choose the homeowners policy that offers the best value for the coverage you want. Independent insurance agents in Mount Vernon make comparison shopping easy.
Burglary Rate in Mount Vernon
The burglary rate in New York is much lower than the national average. In Mount Vernon, the rate is higher than the state average but still lower than the national. This is not to say that the risk does not exist. Residents of this city report more than 225 burglaries in a typical year.
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in the US: 4.69
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in New York: 1.66
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Mount Vernon: 2.93
Your home insurance is designed to reimburse you for loss and damage following a burglary, after your deductible has been met. Of course, it is better to avoid being burglarized in the first place. You can take preventive steps to lower your risk of being targeted by thieves. The most effective theft deterrent is a burglar alarm.
Most insurance companies offer discounts to policyholders who have home security systems installed in their houses. Learn more about this and other potential discounts by talking to your local insurance agent.
Catastrophic Events in Mount Vernon
Your homeowners insurance policy is designed to cover you against many of the hazards you are likely to face as a property owner in Mount Vernon. This includes everything from accidental kitchen fires to severe weather events.
- Number of declared disasters in New York: 58
- Most common reasons for disasters in the state: Severe Storms and Heavy Snows
- Average number of tornadoes per year in New York: 9.6
- Average amount of property damage per year in NY: $2,170,228,000
- 1 in 15 insured homes has a claim each year.
Residents of Mount Vernon are most at risk for damage caused by hurricanes. Among the worst storms to hit this city was Hurricane Sandy in 2012. This storm toppled trees, damaged homes, and caused widespread flooding in the area.
Bear in mind that although your home insurance policy may cover hurricane damage, it will not cover the flooding that often accompanies these storms. Fortunately, your local insurance agent can also help you secure an affordable flood insurance policy through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).
Liability Insurance for Mount Vernon Homeowners
Your homeowners insurance also includes liability coverage. This personal liability insurance is designed to cover the various expenses (such as court costs, legal fees, and damages) that you may accrue if you are sued for a covered event. Some examples of situations in which your personal liability coverage can protect you include:
- Loose carpeting on your stairs causes a guest to fall and suffer serious injuries.
- Your neighbor’s window is broken by a baseball your child hit while playing with friends.
- Your dog gets loose and bites a passerby.
- Somebody sues you for libel or slander because of something you posted on social media.
An independent insurance agent can explain your homeowners liability coverage in greater detail. If you wish to have higher liability limits than your home insurance coverage will allow, your agent can also help you acquire a competitively -priced umbrella insurance policy.
Second Home and Vacation Home Insurance
Maybe you own a vacation home in the mountains upstate. Or perhaps you own a condo on the Southside that you rent out to tenants. Whatever the reason, if you own more than one home, you will need to cover all of your properties with appropriate home insurance.
When a home is not your primary residence, it often has additional risks that insurance companies will take into consideration.
- Vacation homes are sometimes left unoccupied for several months out of the year. These houses have an increased risk of property damage. In this case, vacant home insurance may be needed while the house is not in use.
- Vacation houses that are located in areas that have a high risk of floods or earthquakes may need to have supplementary flood insurance or earthquake insurance because these hazards are not covered by home insurance.
- Second homes that are occupied by tenants have higher liability risks but lower contents coverage needs, since your tenants will be expected to cover their own property with renters insurance. You would need to cover this type of property with landlord insurance.
An independent insurance agent can help you review the coverage needs of all your properties and can assist you with finding the best and most reasonably priced policies to insure them.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent?
The easiest way to find an ideal homeowners insurance policy is by working with an independent agent. These agents work for you, not for a specific insurance company, so you can be sure that you are getting trustworthy guidance as you shop for the coverage you need at a reasonable cost.
Independent agents in Mount Vernon are ready to help. Consult an insurance agent near you to learn more and get quotes.
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.