Located near the state capital, Schenectady is home to nearly 66,000 people. Residents are attracted to this historical city because of its affordable housing, low cost of living, and cultural diversity. If you own a house in Schenectady, you will want to be sure to protect your investment with a suitable home insurance policy.
When you are shopping for the best home insurance coverage, a local independent agent can help. Contact an insurance agent in or near Schenectady for answers to your insurance-related questions and to begin comparing customized homeowners insurance quotes.
Cost of Homeowners Insurance in Schenectady, NY
New York is the 15th most expensive state for homeowners insurance. Home insurance rates in this state are higher than the national average, but in Schenectady, the average rate is considerably lower.
- National average yearly premium: $1,173
- New York average yearly premium: $1,287
- Schenectady average yearly premium: $603
Your actual home insurance quotes will likely be different from the average rate shown above. In a city like Schenectady, which has a wide range of property values, rates can vary significantly. Home insurance costs are calculated on a case-by-case basis and are determined according to several factors such as:
- The size of your house, the year it was built, and the materials used in its construction
- The type of home you are insuring (e.g., single-family detached house, multi-family home, townhouse, condo, manufactured home, etc.)
- The crime rate and weather risks in your ZIP code
- Your claims history and credit score
- The amount of your deductible
- Whether you are bundling your homeowners coverage with other policies like car insurance , life insurance, and/or business insurance
Comparing rates lets you choose the homeowners insurance policy that offers the coverage you want at the best price. Independent insurance agents in Schenectady make comparison shopping easy.
Burglary Rate in Schenectady
The burglary rate in New York is significantly lower than the national rate, but in Schenectady, it is higher. There are more than 400 burglaries reported in this city in a typical year.
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in the US: 4.69
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in New York: 1.66
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Schenectady: 5.85
You can reduce your risk of burglary by taking precautionary steps such as using timed lights while you are away, keeping all entryways well-lit and unobstructed, and securing your home with deadbolt locks. Home security systems are especially effective theft deterrents. In fact, many insurance companies offer discounts to policyholders who have them.
If you are the unfortunate victim of a burglary, your homeowners insurance can reimburse you for the resultant loss and damage after your deductible is met. Be sure to keep a copy of the police report, because you will need it when you file a claim. Your independent insurance agent can offer guidance throughout the claims process if you have questions or need support.
Catastrophic Events Faced by Schenectady Homeowners
Your home insurance policy is designed to provide coverage against many of the risks you are likely to face as a homeowner in Schenectady. This includes hazards such as accidental fires, property crimes, and damaging weather events like severe storms, heavy snows and freezing temperatures.
- Number of declared disasters in New York: 58
- Most common reasons for disasters in the state: Severe Storms and Heavy Snows
- Average number of tornadoes per Year in New York: 9.6
- Average amount of property damage per year in NY: $2,170,228,000
- 1 in 15 insured homes has a claim each year.
Winters in Schenectady can be hard on houses. Heavy snow and ice can damage roofs and gutters, and freezing temperatures can cause pipes to burst. Severe storms are also common in this area. Tornadoes are rare but not unheard of. In 1960, an F3 twister touched down just 2.5 miles from the city center and caused more than $5 million in damages.
One risk that is not covered by home insurance is flooding. Residents in close proximity to the Mohawk River are most at risk for flood damage. Fortunately, your local independent insurance agent can help you purchase supplementary coverage through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).
Liability Insurance for Schenectady Homeowners
Your home insurance also provides personal liability insurance. This can cover you against many of the common liability lawsuits property owners are likely to face. Liability insurance is designed to cover expenses such as court costs, legal fees, and damages if you are sued for a covered event.
Examples of times your homeowners liability insurance can cover you include if someone is severely injured on your property, if your child or pet causes significant injuries or property damage to others, or if find yourself accused of libel or slander for something you posted online.
If you want more liability coverage than your home insurance can provide, your insurance agent can also help you purchase an affordable umbrella insurance policy. Talk to your agent to learn more about your options when it comes to homeowners liability insurance.
What about Insurance for Second Homes and Vacation Homes?
Maybe you own a vacation home near Lake Champlain. Or perhaps you own an additional house that you rent to students at Union College. If you own more than one house, your local insurance agent can help you find the best policies to cover all of your properties.
A house that is not your primary residence has additional risk factors and considerations that insurance providers will take into account when calculating rates. In some cases, these extra properties may need to be covered by different or supplemental insurance policies.
- Vacation homes that are frequently left unoccupied have an increased risk of property damage and property crimes. These properties may need to be covered by vacant home insurance during the time they are not in use.
- Second homes that serve as rental properties have higher liability risks but require less in the way of contents coverage. Landlord insurance provides the right coverage for these types of properties.
- If your additional property is located in a place that has a risk of floods, earthquakes, mine subsidence, or sinkholes, you will need to buy supplementary policies to cover against these hazards, since they are not covered by home insurance.
Your independent insurance agent can help you find the best and most affordable policies to appropriately cover all of your properties.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent?
When you work with an independent insurance agent, you can quickly and easily find the best policy to cover your Schenectady home. These agents are free to work with several different insurance providers so they can shop around and make sure you are getting the coverage you need at the most competitive rate.
Contact an independent insurance agent in or near Schenectady to learn more. You can soon be comparing customized home insurance quotes from an assortment of highly rated insurers.
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.