Utica is one of New York’s most affordable cities. Located at the foot of the Adirondack Mountains, this city features a diverse population, a number of cultural amenities, and 677 acres of public parks. It is little wonder than more than 62,000 people are proud to call it home. If you own a house in this upstate city, you will want to be sure to have a reliable home insurance policy.
Independent insurance agents can help you find the best and most affordable insurance coverage for your Utica home. Find an insurance agent near you to learn more, and discover how easy it can be to start comparing customized homeowners insurance quotes.
Cost of Homeowners Insurance in Utica, NY
New York is the 15th most expensive state for home insurance in the US. The average home insurance cost in this state is slightly higher than the national rate. However, in Utica, with its affordable property values and relatively-low severe weather risks, home insurance rates are among the lowest in the state.
- National average yearly premium: $1,173
- New York average yearly premium: $1,287
- Utica average yearly premium: $623
Of course, the quotes you get from insurance companies are likely to differ from the average rate shown above. This is because rates are calculated individually based on a number of specific factors. Your home insurance costs can be influenced by such things as:
- The size, age, and value of your house
- Whether the property you are insuring is your primary residence
- The type of home you are insuring (e.g., single-family detached home, townhouse, condo, manufactured home, etc.)
- The number of stories in your home and whether or not your house has a basement
- The crime rate and weather risks in your ZIP code
- Whether you are bundling your coverage with another policy like car insurance or life insurance
Comparing quotes lets you choose the homeowners policy that offers the best value for the coverage you want. Independent insurance agents in Utica make comparison shopping easy.
Utica’s Burglary Rate
The burglary rate in New York is much lower than the national average. However, in Utica, the burglary rate is much higher than the national rate. Residents of this city report about 450 burglaries in a typical year.
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in the US: 4.69
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in New York: 1.66
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Utica: 7.63
Your home insurance can reimburse you for loss and damage caused by a burglary. Of course it is preferable to avoid having your home broken into in the first place. You can take precautionary measures to lower your risk of being targeted by thieves, the most effective of which is a having a burglar alarm.
Many home insurance companies offer discounts to policyholders who have home security systems installed in their houses. Learn more about this and other potential discounts by talking to your local insurance agent.
Catastrophic Events in Utica
Your homeowners insurance policy is designed to cover you against many of the hazards you are likely to face as a property owner in Utica. This includes risks ranging from accidental fires to damaging weather events.
- Number of declared disasters in New York: 58
- Most common reasons for disasters in the state: Severe Storms and Heavy Snows
- Average number of tornadoes per year in New York: 9.6
- Average amount of property damage per year in NY: $2,170,228,000
- 1 in 15 insured homes has a claim each year.
Residents of Utica are most at risk for damage caused by severe storms and floods. While damage caused by lightning, heavy winds, hail, and snow is covered by your home insurance, flood damage is not. Fortunately, your local insurance agent can also help you secure an affordable flood insurance policy through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).
Liability Insurance for Utica Homeowners
Your home insurance also includes liability coverage. Homeowners liability insurance is designed to cover the various expenses (including court costs, legal fees, and damages) that you may accrue if you are sued for a covered event. Some examples of situations in which this personal liability coverage can protect you include:
- A loose floorboard in your home causes a guest to fall and suffer serious injuries.
- Your child accidentally breaks a neighbor’s window while playing ball with friends.
- Your dog gets loose and bites someone.
- A litigious business sues you for libel or slander after you post a negative review online.
Your local insurance agent can explain your homeowners liability coverage in greater detail. If you wish to have higher liability limits than your home insurance coverage will allow, your agent can also help you acquire a reasonably-priced umbrella insurance policy.
Second Home and Vacation Home Insurance
Maybe you own a vacation home along the Atlantic coast. Or perhaps you own a house that you use to generate income by renting it out to students at Utica College. Whatever the reason, if you own more than one home, you will need to cover all of your properties with appropriate home insurance.
When a home is not your primary residence, it sometimes needs different or additional home insurance policies.
- Vacation homes are sometimes used seasonally, and are therefore left unoccupied for several months out of the year. These houses have an increased risk of property damage. Vacant home insurance may be required while the house is not in use.
- Vacation houses that are located in areas that have a significant risk of floods, earthquakes, mine subsidence, or sinkholes may need to have supplementary insurance policies because these hazards are not covered by home insurance
- Second homes that are occupied by tenants have higher liability risks and need to be covered by landlord insurance.
Your local insurance agent can help you review the coverage needs of all your properties and can assist you with finding the best and most reasonably priced policies to insure them.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent?
The easiest way to find the best homeowners insurance policy is by working with an independent agent. These agents work for you, not for a specific insurance provider, so you can be sure that you are getting trustworthy guidance as you shop for the coverage you need at a price you can afford.
Independent agents in Utica are ready to help. Contact an insurance agent near you to start comparing customized home insurance quotes.
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.