Home to more than 200,000 people, the city of Yonkers contains 37 very distinct neighborhoods. This city offers something to suit the tastes of a wide variety of people. If you are among the proud homeowners in this New York City suburb, you will want to be sure to protect your investment with a reliable home insurance policy.
Local independent insurance agents can help you obtain the best and most affordable coverage for your Yonkers home. Contact an insurance agent near you to get started.
Cost of Homeowners Insurance in Yonkers, NY
New York is the 15th most expensive state for home insurance in the US. The average cost in this state is higher than the national average. In Yonkers, average rates for coverage are slightly lower than the state average.
- National average yearly premium: $1,173
- New York average yearly premium: $1,287
- Yonkers average yearly premium: $1,223
Of course, you can expect your actual home insurance quotes to be different from the average Yonkers rate shown above. This is because insurance costs are calculated on a case-by-case basis and are determined according to several different factors, such as:
- The age, size, and value of your house
- They type of home you are insuring (e.g., single-family detached home, multi-family home, condo/townhouse, etc.)
- The number of stories your house has, and whether or not it has a basement
- Your claims history and credit score
- The crime rate and weather risks in the vicinity of your home
- Whether you are bundling your coverage with other policies like car insurance or life insurance
Each insurance company has its own way of computing rates, so comparing a variety of quotes lets you choose the home insurance policy that offers the best value for your money. Independent insurance agents in Yonkers make comparison shopping easy.
Burglary Rate in Yonkers
While the burglary rate in Yonkers is higher than the state average, it is still less than half of the national average. There are more than 400 burglaries reported in this city in a typical year.
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in the US: 4.69
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in New York: 1.66
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Yonkers: 2.16
If your house is broken into, your home insurance can reimburse you for your losses as well as for any damage the intruder may have caused. Your independent insurance agent can help you make sure that your most valuable property is sufficiently insured. Some homeowners need to purchase special endorsements or riders to cover things like collections or original artwork.
Of course, it is better to avoid being burglarized in the first place. Keeping your doors and windows securely locked, leaving lights and a radio on while you are away from home, and using motion sensitive outdoor lighting can reduce your chances of being targeted by a burglar.
Home security systems make the best theft deterrents. That is why many insurance companies offer discounts to policyholders who have burglar alarms installed in their homes. Talk to your insurance agent to learn more about this and other discounts you may qualify for.
Catastrophic Events in New York
Your home insurance policy is designed to cover you against most of the hazards you are likely to face as a property owner in Yonkers. This includes damage caused by everything from electrical fires to severe weather events.
- Number of declared disasters in New York: 58
- Most common reasons for disasters in the state: Severe Storms and Heavy Snows
- Average number of tornadoes per year in New York: 9.6
- Average amount of property damage per year in NY: $2,170,228,000
- 1 in 15 insured homes has a claim each year.
Yonkers residents are most at risk for damage caused by hurricanes, severe storms, and heavy winds. In 2012, Hurricane Sandy brought wind gusts of up to 80 mph to Yonkers, causing more than 400 trees to topple and damaging a number of area homes and business.
Also, while the risk of tornadoes is not particularly high in this city, it is something that can happen. In 1970, an F2 twister touched down just 3.5 miles from the Yonkers city center and caused a great deal of expensive damage. Fortunately, most home insurance provides coverage against hurricanes, windstorms, and tornadoes.
It is important to keep in mind, however, that your policy will not cover you against flood damage—even if the flooding is caused by a covered event. Many residents of Yonkers, particularly those in close proximity to the Hudson River, Saw Mill River, or other waterways, can benefit from supplementing their coverage with flood insurance. Your local insurance agent can help.
Liability Insurance for Yonkers Homeowners
Liability lawsuits can be financially devastating. They could even cause you to lose your home. That is why your homeowners insurance also provides you with personal liability coverage. This insurance is designed to cover court costs, legal defense fees, and damages if you are sued for a covered event.
Some examples of times your homeowners liability coverage may be of use include:
- A guest in your home is severely injured in an accident that can be attributed to negligence of upkeep on your part.
- Your child or pet causes injuries or property damage to someone outside your household.
- Someone accuses you of libel or slander because of something you posted on online.
If you wish to have more liability coverage than your home insurance can provide, you can also purchase umbrella insurance. This is a highly affordable way to boost all of your liability coverage. Your local insurance agent can help you acquire enough liability coverage to suitably protect your assets.
Second Home and Vacation Home Insurance
Maybe you have a weekend getaway house on Long Island; or perhaps you rent out a second home to students at Sarah Lawrence College. If you own more than one home, you will need to be sure that all of your properties are covered by appropriate homeowners insurance policies.
Houses that do not serve as primary residences often have additional risk factors that insurance companies will take into consideration. These properties may therefore need specialized home insurance coverage.
- Vacation homes that are unused for several months out of the year have an increased risk of property damage. Your vacation home may need to be covered by vacant home insurance during the times it is unoccupied.
- Second homes that are occupied by renters have lower contents coverage needs, since your tenants will be expected to cover their own property. However, these homes have higher liability risks and need to be covered by landlord insurance.
Your local independent insurance agent can help you find appropriate policies to cover all of your residential properties.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent?
The easiest way to find the best insurance for your Yonkers home is by working a local independent agent. These agents work for you, not for a particular insurance company, so they are free to shop around to find you reliable coverage and a competitive price.
Contact an independent insurance agent with an office in or near Yonkers to learn more. You can be comparing customized, competitively priced homeowners insurance quotes in no time.
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.