Even the most experienced drivers can sometimes find themselves involved in accidents. That is why North Carolina vehicle owners are required to have auto insurance. From fender benders on Biltmore Avenue to multi-car collisions on I-40, a reliable car insurance policy can shield you from facing a large financial loss in the wake of a collision. Finding the best auto insurance is easy when you work with an independent insurance agent in Asheville. These agents can provide you with a variety of customized car insurance quotes so you can be sure you are purchasing a competitively priced policy. Contact an insurance agent near you to learn more.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Asheville, NC?
You may be happy to learn that the average car insurance rate in this state is significantly lower than the national average, and in Asheville, the average cost is even lower.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- North Carolina average annual car insurance cost: $986
- Asheville Average Annual Car Insurance Cost: $738
Of course, the figures above can only give you a basic idea of how much you might be expected to pay. Car insurance costs vary significantly from one driver to the next because they are calculated on a case-by-case basis according to several factors. Some things that can influence your cost include:
- The make, model, and year of your vehicles
- Your age, gender, occupation, driving history, and credit score
- Details about other licensed drivers in your household
- Whether you own or rent your home
- The estimated number of miles you drive annually
- The accident and auto theft rates in the vicinity of your home
- Whether you are bundling your coverage with another policy such as home insurance or renters insurance
Each insurance company has a different way of calculating rates. Comparison shopping can, therefore, save you a lot of money. An insurance agent in Asheville can help you easily obtain and compare car insurance quotes from a variety of highly-rated insurers.
Car Insurance Coverage Requirements for Drivers in Asheville, NC
Every state has its own auto insurance requirements. In the state of North Carolina, your car insurance policy must include, at a minimum, the following:
- Liability insurance: this is designed to cover third-party injuries and property damage if you are responsible for a collision. Your minimum coverage requirements in this state are:
- Bodily injury liability: $30,000 per individual / $60,000 per accident
- Property damage liability: $25,000 per accident
- Uninsured motorist insurance: This is designed to cover medical treatment for you and your passengers if you are in an accident caused by an uninsured driver. You must have a minimum of $30,000 in coverage per person/$60,000 in coverage per accident.
A policy that simply meets the minimum requirements may be your least expensive option, but it is not necessarily the best choice. If you cause a major accident that involves significant injuries, the resultant cost can easily exceed what a minimum coverage policy will cover. In that case, you would be responsible for making up the difference. That is why many Asheville vehicle owners choose to purchase car insurance with higher liability insurance limits than the state requires. Some people also purchase an umbrella insurance policy to boost their liability coverage even higher. Your independent agent can help you find the liability coverage you want at a price you can afford.
Optional Auto Insurance Coverage for Asheville Vehicle Owners
Your car insurance policy will also offer a variety of coverage options that are not required by law, though some of which may be required by lenders if you have an auto loan. These include:
- Personal injury protection: This is designed to cover medical treatment for you and your passengers if you are at fault for a collision. Many health insurance policies will not cover injuries related to collisions, so this coverage can be very important.
- Collision and comprehensive insurance: This is designed to cover the cost to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged or totaled. Collision insurance covers collision-related damage, regardless of fault, while comprehensive insurance covers non-collision damage such as may be caused by floods, falling objects, or structure fires.
- Roadside assistance and towing: This is designed to cover the cost of roadside assistance if your vehicle becomes disabled while you are out on the road. Your insurance company will provide a number you can call and they will dispatch assistance.
- Gap insurance: This is designed to bridge the gap between what your vehicle is worth and what you still owe for it if it is totaled. This is particularly important for new vehicles, which tend to depreciate in value very quickly.
- Rental car reimbursement: This is designed to cover the cost of renting a comparable vehicle while yours is being repaired.
Talk to a local independent insurance agent to learn more about these coverage options.
Coverage against Auto Thefts in Asheville
The auto theft rate in Asheville is higher than the state rate but lower than the national rate. There are 250 cars stolen in this city in a typical year.
- National auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.94
- North Carolina auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.12
- Asheville auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.76
It is important that you are aware that you cannot be compensated for an auto theft unless your policy includes comprehensive, or “other than collision,” insurance. This insurance is optional, but most lenders will require you to carry it until your auto loan is paid in full.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Asheville?
Vehicle owners in Asheville can turn to a local independent agent for help when they are searching for the right auto insurance. These agents are free to work with a variety of insurance providers to help this city’s drivers find the most reliable and affordable policies.
Find an insurance agent in or near Asheville to learn more. You can start comparing customized car insurance quotes in no time.
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.