Even the safest drivers can sometimes find themselves involved in vehicle collisions. That is why North Carolina vehicle owners are required to carry car insurance. Whether you experience a fender bender on Davie Avenue or are involved in a major collision while merging onto I-77, a reliable car insurance policy can shield you from facing a large financial loss. Finding the best car insurance is easy when you work with a local independent insurance agent. Agents in Statesville can provide you with a variety of customized auto insurance quotes so you can be sure you are purchasing great coverage at a competitive price. Find an insurance agent near you to get started.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Statesville, NC?
You will be happy to learn that the average car insurance rate in this state is significantly lower than the national average. Even in the Hickory-Statesville area, where costs tend to be higher than throughout much of the state, the average premium is still lower than the national average.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- North Carolina average annual car insurance cost: $986
- Hickory-Statesville average annual car insurance cost: $1,260
Of course, averages can only give you a basic idea of how much you might be expected to pay. Car insurance costs vary significantly from one driver to the next because they are calculated individually according to several factors. Some things that can influence how much your premiums cost include:
- The make, model, and year of your vehicle
- Your age, gender, occupation, driving history, and credit score
- Details about other licensed drivers in your household (unless specifically excluded from coverage)
- The estimated number of miles you drive annually
- The accident and auto theft rates in the vicinity of your home
- Whether you are bundling your coverage with another policy such as homeowners insurance, condo insurance, or renters insurance
Each insurance company uses a different formula to assess risk and calculate rates. Comparison shopping can save you a lot of money. An insurance agent in Statesville can help you easily obtain and compare car insurance quotes from a variety of top-rated insure providers.
Car Insurance Coverage Requirements for Drivers in Statesville
Every state sets its own auto insurance requirements. In North Carolina, all car insurance policies must include, at a minimum, the following:
- Liability Insurance: This is designed to cover third-party injuries and property damage if you are responsible for a collision. The minimum coverage requirements in NC are:
- Bodily injury liability coverage: $30,000 per individual / $60,000 per accident
- Property damage liability coverage : $25,000 per accident
- Uninsured motorist insurance: This is designed to cover medical treatment for you and your passengers if you are in an accident caused by an uninsured driver. You must have at least $25,000 in property damage coverage and $30,000 in bodily injury coverage.
A basic policy that only meets the minimum requirements may be the least expensive option, but it is not necessarily your best choice. If you cause a major accident that involves serious injuries, the resultant costs can easily exceed what a minimum-coverage policy will cover. If that happens, you would be expected to make up the difference out-of-pocket. That is why many Statesville vehicle owners choose to purchase car insurance that has higher liability insurance coverage than the state requires. Some people further protect their assets by also purchasing an umbrella insurance policy. Your local insurance agent can help you find the liability coverage you want at a price you can afford.
Optional Car Insurance Coverage for Statesville Vehicle Owners
Your car insurance provider will also offer a variety of coverage options that are not required by law, though some may be required by your lender if you have financed your vehicle, or by the dealership if you are leasing. These coverage options include:
- Collision and comprehensive insurance: These policies are designed to cover the cost of repairing or replacing your vehicle if it is damaged. Collision insurance covers accident-related damage, regardless of fault. Comprehensive insurance covers non-collision damage such as may be caused by floods, falling objects, or theft.
- Personal injury protection (PIP): This is designed to cover medical treatment for you and your passengers if you are injured in a collision, regardless of fault. Many health insurance policies will not cover injuries that are related to vehicle accidents, so this coverage can prove very important.
- Roadside assistance and towing: This is designed to cover the cost of roadside assistance if you get a flat tire, run out of gas, overheat your engine, or your vehicle otherwise becomes disabled while you are out on the road. Your insurance company will provide a number you can call and they will dispatch assistance.
- Gap insurance: This is designed to bridge the gap between what your vehicle is worth and what you still owe for it in the event that it is totaled. This is particularly important for owners of new vehicles since these vehicles depreciate in value very quickly.
- Rental car reimbursement: This is designed to cover the cost of renting a comparable vehicle while yours is being repaired following a covered event.
Talk to your local independent insurance agent to learn more about these coverage options and to find out how much adding each of them to your policy will cost you.
Statesville Car Insurance Can Cover against Auto Theft
The auto theft rate in North Carolina is lower than the national average, and in the Hickory-Statesville area, the risk is even lower. This is not to say the risk does not exist. There are about 50 vehicles stolen in Statesville in a typical year.
- National auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.94
- North Carolina auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.12
- Hickory-Statesville area auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.05
It is important to be aware that you cannot be compensated for an auto theft unless your policy includes comprehensive, or “other than collision,” insurance. This insurance is optional, but most lenders will require you to carry it until your auto loan is paid in full.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Statesville, NC?
Vehicle owners in Statesville can turn to a local independent insurance agent for help when they are searching for the best and most affordable auto coverage. These agents are free to work a variety of insurance providers, and they can obtain a variety of customized car insurance quotes on your behalf.
Find an insurance agent in or near Statesville to learn more. You can start comparing customized car insurance quotes in no time.
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.