Asheville is among the most scenic cities in North Carolina. With its wide array of cultural and recreational offerings, this vibrant city is a wonderful place to call home. Your house may not be as majestic as the Biltmore Estate, but it is still your castle. Be sure to protect the investment you have made in it by securing a comprehensive homeowners insurance policy. Independent Insurance Agents can help you find the best and most affordable insurance coverage for your property. Find an insurance agent in or near Asheville to learn more, and you can soon start comparing customized home insurance quotes from a variety of reliable insurers.
How Much Does Homeowners Insurance Cost in Asheville, NC?
The average cost of homeowners insurance in Asheville, and in North Carolina in general, is lower than the national average. Asheville is far enough from the coast to keep costs affordable in this city.
- National average yearly premium: $1,173
- North Carolina average yearly premium: $1,075
- Asheville average yearly premium: $1,006
The actual quotes you receive for home insurance coverage are likely to be different from the rates shown above. This is because costs are calculated individually based on a number of considerations. Your rates can be influenced by factors such as:
- The size, age, and value of your house
- The type of home you are insuring (i.e., detached single-family house, condo, mobile home, etc.)
- Whether the property is your primary residence
- The number of stories in your house and whether it has a basement
- The crime rate and weather risks in your ZIP code
- Your claims history and credit score
- The amount of your deductible
- Whether you are bundling your coverage with other policies like car insurance or life insurance
Every insurance company has its own way of calculating rates. Comparing quotes enables you to choose the homeowners policy that offers the best value for your money. Independent agents in Asheville make comparison shopping easy.
Asheville Homeowners Insurance Covers Your Property
Your homeowners insurance policy is designed to cover you against many of the hazards you are likely to face as a property owner in Asheville. This includes everything from out-of-control kitchen fires to damaging weather events.
- Number of declared disasters in North Carolina: 58
- Most common reasons for disasters in the state: Hurricanes and Floods
- Average number of tornadoes per year in North Carolina: 29.1
- Average amount of property damage per year in NC: $1,379,438,000
- 1 in 15 insured homes has a claim each year.
One of the biggest weather risks faced by residents of Asheville is hurricane damage. While this kind of damage in this city may not be as bad as along the coast, it can still be significant. Heavy winds can topple trees and damage roofs in the area. Make sure that you have prepared an evacuation plan and have plenty of supplies on hand before disaster strikes.
It is important to note that although hurricane damage is covered by your home insurance, flood damage is not – even if it is the direct result of a hurricane. The good news is that your local insurance agent will be aware of this risk and can help you supplement your policy with an affordable flood insurance policy. Your agent can also help you review your structure and contents coverage limits so you can be sure that they are high enough to enable you to rebuild, repair, or replace if necessary.
Home Insurance Covers against Burglaries in Asheville
The burglary rate in North Carolina is much higher than the national average, and in Asheville, the rate is even higher. Residents of this city report about 800 burglaries a year.
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in the US: 4.69
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in North Carolina: 7.10
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Asheville: 9.8
Your home insurance can reimburse you for loss or damage following a burglary, but you will need to cover your deductible first. It is therefore in your best interest to take precautionary steps—like using motion sensitive lighting and stopping mail delivery when you are away—in order to reduce your risk. The most effective theft deterrent is a burglar alarm. That is why most insurance companies offer discounts to policyholders who have installed home security systems. Your insurance agent can help you be sure to get any policy discounts to which you are entitled.
Liability Insurance for Asheville Homeowners
In addition to providing property coverage, your home insurance policy also offers liability insurance. This coverage is designed to cover the various expenses (e.g., court costs, legal defense fees, and damages) you may accrue if you find yourself being sued for a covered event. Some examples of times your homeowners liability coverage can protect you include:
- A visitor your home trips and is severely injured when your deck collapses.
- Your child kicks a soccer ball through a neighbor’s window.
- Your dog bites a pedestrian, who is seriously injured and requires stitches.
- You are accused of slander because of something you posted on social media.
An independent agent can explain your homeowners liability insurance in greater detail. If you have a lot to lose and want even more coverage than your home insurance policy will allow, your agent can also help you acquire a competitively priced umbrella insurance policy. Talk to your insurance agent to learn more.
Insurance for Asheville Residents with Vacation Homes or Second Homes
Maybe you own a vacation home on the coast. Or perhaps you own a second house that you rent to students at the University of North Carolina at Asheville. Whatever the reason, if you own more than one house, you will need to insure all your properties with appropriate home insurance policies. A house that is not your primary residence will often have additional risk factors that insurance companies take into consideration when calculating rates.
- Vacation homes that are left unoccupied for several months of the year have an increased risk of property damage and burglaries. Vacant home insurance may be required when the property is not in use.
- Second homes that are occupied by tenants have lower contents coverage needs but higher liability risks. These properties need the specialized coverage that is provided by landlord insurance.
Your local independent agent can help you review the coverage needs of all your additional properties and can assist you with finding the best and most reasonably priced insurance policies.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Asheville?
The easiest way to find a reliable homeowners insurance policy at a great price is by working with an independent insurance agent. These agents work for you, not for an insurance company, so you can be sure that you are getting the coverage you need at a cost you can afford. Independent agents in Asheville are ready to help.
Contact an insurance agent near you to start comparing customized home insurance quotes.
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.