Greenville, NC is home to more than 92,000 people. Residents are attracted to this city because of the wide variety of shopping, dining, and recreational options, great healthcare facilities, and many cultural amenities. If you own a house in this North Carolina city, you will want to be sure to protect your investment with a suitable home insurance policy. When you are shopping for the right insurance coverage for your home, a local independent insurance agent can help. Contact an agent near you to begin your search for the best homeowners insurance policy in Greenville.
Cost of Homeowners Insurance in Greenville, NC
North Carolina is the 26th most expensive state for homeowners insurance. Home insurance rates in this state are lower than the national average; a,d in Greenville, the average rate is consistent with the state’s rate.
- National average yearly premium: $1,211
- North Carolina average yearly premium: $1,086
- Greenville average yearly premium: $1,075
Your actual home insurance quotes will vary from the rate shown above. This is because home insurance rates are calculated on a case-by-case basis considering several factors such as:
- The size of your house, the year it was built and the materials used in its construction
- The estimated cost to rebuild your home
- The type of home you are insuring (i.e., single-family detached house, townhouse, condo, etc.)
- Your claims history and credit score
- The amount of your deductible
- Whether you are bundling your homeowners coverage with other policies like car insurance or business insurance
Every insurance company has its own formula for assigning rates, so each is likely to quote you a different amount for your coverage. Comparing rates lets you choose the homeowners insurance policy that offers the coverage you want at the most competitive rate. Independent agents in Greenville make comparison shopping easy.
Burglary Rate in Greenville, NC
The burglary rate in North Carolina is significantly higher than the national rate, and in Greenville, it is even higher. There are about 800 burglaries reported in this city every year.
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in the US: 3.76
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in North Carolina: 6.00
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Greenville: 8.10
You can take precautions to safeguard your home against burglaries, such as putting lights on timers while you are away, keeping entryways well-lit and unobstructed, and using deadbolt locks. Home security systems make particularly good theft deterrents. In fact, many insurance companies offer discounts to policyholders who have them installed in their homes. If you are the victim of a burglary, your homeowners insurance company can reimburse you for the resultant loss and damage. Be sure to keep a copy of the police report because you will need it when you file a claim. Your independent insurance agent can provide guidance throughout the claims process if you have questions.
Catastrophic Events in North Carolina
Hurricanes pose the biggest threat to residents of Greenville. Hurricane Matthew brought widespread damage to this city. Tornadoes are less common but are also a highly destructive risk. In 1972, an F3 twister touched down in this city, causing millions of dollars’ worth of damage to area homes.
- Number of declared disasters in North Carolina: 70
- Most common reasons for disasters in the state: Hurricanes
- Average number of tornadoes per year in North Carolina: 31
- Average amount of property damage per year in NC: $1,379,438,000
- 1 in 15 insured homes has a claim each year.
Your home insurance policy is designed to provide coverage against many of the risks you are likely to face as a homeowner in Greenville. This includes hazards such as accidental fires, property crimes, and severe weather events like hurricanes and tornados. It is important to note that although your home insurance may cover hurricanes, it will not cover the flood damage that often accompanies these storms. Fortunately, an independent agent can also help you obtain a flood insurance policy through the NFIP. These policies take 30 days to go into effect, so do not wait until a storm is imminent to get your coverage.
Save on Home Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
Liability Insurance for Greenville Homeowners
Your home insurance also covers you against many of the liability lawsuits you could potentially face as a property owner. This coverage can shield you from experiencing a large financial loss because of an expensive lawsuit so that you do not need to worry about losing your home as a result. Homeowners liability insurance is designed to cover expenses such as court costs, legal defense fees, and damages if you are sued for a covered event.
It can cover third-party injuries that occur on your property, damage caused by your children or pets, accusations of libel or slander, and various other acts of negligence. Some Greenville residents want more liability coverage than their home insurance can provide. They, therefore, opt to purchase an umbrella insurance policy. If you wish to learn more about this added liability coverage, your independent agent can help you review your options and compare costs.
What about Insurance for Second Homes and Vacation Homes?
Maybe you own a vacation home in the mountains. Or perhaps you own an additional property that you rent to students at East Carolina University. If you are among the Greenville residents who own more than one house, your independent agent can help you find the best policies to cover all of your properties. A house that is not your primary residence has additional risk factors and considerations, so insurance companies may require it to be covered by different types of insurance.
- Vacation houses are often left unoccupied for several months of the year. This increases their risk of property damage and burglaries, so these properties may need to be covered by vacant home insurance.
- Second homes that are used as rental properties have higher liability risks but require less in the way of contents coverage. In this case, the house would need to be covered by a landlord insurance policy in order to be properly covered.
Your local independent agent can help you find the best and most affordable policies to cover all of your houses.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent?
Independent insurance agents make it easy to quickly find the best policy to cover your Greenville home. These agents work with several different insurance providers so they are able to make sure you are getting the coverage you need at the most competitive rate.
Contact an independent insurance agent in or near Greenville to learn more. You can soon be comparing customized home insurance quotes from an assortment of highly-rated insurers.
©2022, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.