Rocky Mount, NC is home to nearly 55,000 people. This city has a lot to offer its residents, from a thriving arts and culture scene to recreational activities along the Tar River. If you are among Rocky Mount’s proud property owners, you will want to be sure to protect your investment with a reliable and all-inclusive homeowners insurance policy. Independent Insurance Agents can help you find the best and most affordable insurance coverage for your house in Rocky Mount. Find an insurance agent near you to learn more, and you can soon start comparing customized homeowners insurance quotes.
How Much Does Homeowners Insurance Cost in Rocky Mount, NC?
The average cost of home insurance in North Carolina is slightly lower than the national rate. In Rocky Mount, where property values and severe weather risks are lower than throughout much of the state, the average cost for coverage is significantly lower.
- National average yearly premium: $1,173
- North Carolina average yearly premium: $1,075
- Rocky Mount average yearly premium: $655
Of course, the quotes you will get from insurance companies are likely to differ from the average rate listed above. This is because costs are calculated individually based on a number of considerations, and in a city like Rocky Mount, with its wide range of property values, rates can vary significantly. Your home insurance costs can be influenced by factors such as:
- The size, age, construction, and value of your house
- Whether the property you are insuring is your primary residence
- The number of stories in your house and whether you have a basement
- The type of home you are insuring (e.g., detached single-family house, condo, mobile home, etc.)
- The crime rate and weather risks in your ZIP code
- Your claims history and credit score
- Whether you are bundling your coverage with another policy like car insurance or life insurance
Every insurance company has its own proprietary method for calculating rates. Comparing quotes enables you to choose the homeowners policy that offers the best value for the coverage you want. Independent agents in Rocky Mount make comparison shopping easy.
Does Rocky Mount Homeowners Insurance Provide Property Coverage?
Your homeowners insurance policy is designed to cover you against many of the hazards you are likely to face as a property owner in Rocky Mount, NC. This includes everything from damage caused by cooking fires to that caused by severe weather events.
- Number of declared disasters in North Carolina: 58
- Most common reasons for disasters in the state: Hurricanes and Floods
- Average number of tornadoes per year in North Carolina: 29.1
- Average amount of property damage per year in NC: $1,379,438,000
- 1 in 15 insured homes has a claim each year.
Residents of Rocky Mount are most at risk for damage caused by hurricanes and major storms. While the hurricane severity in this city may not be as bad as it is for cities closer to the coast, heavy winds and downpours can still be significant. Additionally, thunderstorms can bring damaging lightning, and occasional hailstorms can damage roofs and siding. Severe storms can spawn tornadoes like the F3 twister that touched down about 15 miles from the Rocky Mount city center a few years back. This tornado caused more than $1 million in property damage.
Bear in mind that although your Rocky Mount homeowners insurance policy may cover against hurricane damage, it will not cover the flooding that often accompanies these storms. Fortunately, your local independent agent can also help you get flood insurance coverage through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) so that your property is fully protected.
Homeowners in Rocky Mount Can Have Personal Liability Protection
Your homeowners insurance also includes liability coverage. This personal liability insurance is designed to cover the various expenses (e.g., court costs, legal fees, and damages) that you may accrue if you are sued for a covered event. Some examples of situations in which your homeowners liability coverage can protect you include:
- A visitor to your home trips on your uneven walkway and is seriously injured.
- Your child kicks a soccer ball through a neighbor’s window.
- Your dog gets loose and bites a passerby who is severely injured and requires stitches.
- You are accused of libel or slander because of something you posted on your blog.
If you wish to have even more liability coverage than your home insurance coverage will allow, your agent can also help you acquire a competitively priced umbrella insurance policy.
Rocky Mount Homeowners Insurance Covers against Property Crimes
The burglary rate in North Carolina is much higher than the national average, and in Rocky Mount, the risk is even higher. Residents of this city report more than 600 burglaries in a typical year.
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in the US: 4.69
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in North Carolina: 7.10
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Rocky Mount: 11.43
Your home insurance can reimburse you for loss or damage if you are the victim of a burglary. You will need to have a copy of the police report when you file a claim. The most effective theft deterrent is a burglar alarm. In fact, most insurance companies offer discounts to policyholders who have installed home security systems. Learn about this and other potential discounts by talking to a local independent insurance agent.
Insurance Coverage for Second Homes and Vacation Homes
Maybe you own a vacation home in the Outer Banks. Or perhaps you have invested in a second house that you rent out to students at North Carolina Wesleyan College. Whatever the situation, if you own more than one house, you will need to cover all of your properties with appropriate homeowners insurance policies. A house that is not your primary residence will often have additional risk factors. Insurance companies will look at these and other considerations when calculating rates for covering your extra properties. In some cases, specialized home insurance policies will be necessary.
- Vacation homes that are left unoccupied for several months out of the year typically have an increased risk of property damage. In this case, vacant home insurance may be needed.
- Vacation homes that are located in areas that have a significant risk of floods, sinkholes, or earthquakes may need to have supplementary insurance since these hazards are not covered by home insurance.
- Second homes that are occupied by tenants have higher liability risks but lower contents coverage needs. These properties need to be covered by landlord insurance.
Your local independent insurance agent can help you review the coverage needs of any additional properties you may own, and can assist you with finding the best and most reasonably priced insurance policies to cover them.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Rocky Mount, NC?
The easiest way to find a reliable, yet affordable, homeowners insurance policy is by working with an independent insurance agent. These agents work for you, not for a specific insurance company, so you can be sure that you are receiving trustworthy advice and that you are buying your coverage a competitive price. Independent agents in Rocky Mount are ready to help.
Contact an insurance agent near you, and you can start comparing customized home insurance quotes in no time.
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.