The county seat of North Carolina’s Iredell County, Statesville is home to nearly 27,000 people. This growing Charlotte suburb provides residents with a small-town feel while all the amenities of a large city are just a short drive away. If you own a house in this beautiful city, you will want to be sure to protect your investment with a comprehensive homeowners insurance policy. Independent Insurance Agents can help you find the best and most affordable insurance coverage for your Statesville home. Contact an insurance agent with an office in or near Statesville to start comparing a selection of customized homeowners insurance quotes from a variety of top-rated insurers.
How Much Does Homeowners Insurance Cost in Statesville, NC?
The average cost of homeowners insurance in North Carolina is lower than the national average, and in the Hickory-Statesville area, rates are even lower. As this city grows and new homes are built, however, this average rate is expected to rise.
- National average yearly premium: $1,173
- North Carolina average yearly premium: $1,075
- Hickory-Statesville area average yearly premium: $747
Your actual cost for home insurance coverage is likely to be different from the rates listed above. This is because rates are calculated individually based on a number of considerations. Your premiums can be influenced by factors such as:
- The size, age, and value of your house
- The type of home you are insuring (i.e., detached single-family house, condo, mobile home, vacation home, etc.)
- The number of stories in your house and whether it has a basement
- The crime rate and weather risks in your ZIP code
- Your claims history and credit score
- The size of your deductible
- Whether you are bundling your coverage with other policies like car insurance or life insurance
Every insurance company has its own way of calculating rates. Comparing a variety of quotes enables you to choose the homeowners policy that offers the best value for your money. Independent agents in Statesville make comparison shopping easy.
Can Statesville Homeowners Insurance Cover Your Property?
Your homeowners insurance policy is designed to shield you against the financial losses related to many of the hazards you are likely to face as a property owner in Statesville. This includes everything from accidental fires to natural disasters.
- Number of declared disasters in North Carolina: 58
- Most common reasons for disasters in the state: Hurricanes and Floods
- Average number of tornadoes per year in North Carolina: 29.1
- Average amount of property damage per year in NC: $1,379,438,000
- 1 in 15 insured homes has a claim each year
The most significant weather risks faced by residents of Statesville are hurricanes and tropical storms. Heavy winds can topple trees and damage roofs in the area and can sometimes even spawn tornadoes. Make sure that you have prepared an evacuation plan and have plenty of supplies on hand before disaster strikes. It is important to be aware that although hurricane damage is covered by your home insurance, flood damage is not – even if it is the direct result of a covered hurricane.
The risk of flash flooding in Statesville is significant. Fortunately, a local insurance agent will be aware of this risk and can help you supplement your home coverage with an affordable flood insurance policy. Your agent can also help you review your homeowners insurance policy’s dwelling and contents coverage limits so that you can be sure that they are high enough to enable you to rebuild, repair, or replace if necessary.
Homeowners Insurance Covers against Burglaries in Statesville
The burglary rate in North Carolina is much higher than the national average, and in the Hickory-Statesville area, the rate is even higher. Residents of Statesville report about 300 burglaries a year.
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in the US: 4.69
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in North Carolina: 7.10
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Statesville: 8.83
Your homeowners insurance provider can reimburse you for loss or damage caused by a burglary, but you will need to cover your deductible first. It is therefore in your best interest to take preventive steps—like stopping mail delivery when you are away and keeping doors and windows securely locked—in order to reduce your risk of being targeted by burglars. Among the most effective theft deterrents are a burglar alarms. That is why most insurance companies offer discounts to policyholders who have home security systems installed in their houses. A local independent insurance agent can help you be sure that you get any policy discounts to which you are entitled.
Liability Insurance Protection for Statesville Homeowners
In addition to covering your personal property, your home insurance policy also provides you with liability insurance. This coverage is designed to cover the various expenses (e.g., court costs, legal defense fees, and damages) you may accrue if you are responsible for a wide range of third-party injuries or damage. Some examples of times your homeowners liability coverage can protect you include:
- A guest in your home is severely injured after tripping over loose carpeting.
- Your child hits a baseball through a neighbor’s window.
- Your dog gets loose and bites a jogger.
- You accidentally break a friend’s collarbone during a friendly game of basketball in the park.
- You are accused of slander because of something you posted on social media.
If you have a lot to lose and want even more coverage than your home insurance can provide, you may also want to consider purchasing umbrella insurance. This is a highly affordable way to boost all of your liability coverage. Talk to your insurance agent to learn more.
Insurance for Statesville Residents with Vacation Homes or Second Homes
Maybe you own a vacation house up in the mountains. Or perhaps you have invested in a second house that you rent out to young couples who are just getting started. Whatever the reason, if you own more than one residential property, you will need to insure all of your houses with appropriate homeowners insurance policies. A house that is not your primary residence typically has additional risk factors that insurance companies take into consideration when calculating rates. In some cases, specialized coverage may be required.
- Vacation homes that are left unoccupied for several months out of the year have an increased risk of weather and animal-related property damage as well as burglaries. Vacant home insurance may be required when the property is not in use.
- Second homes that are occupied by tenants have lower contents coverage needs but higher liability risks. These properties need the specialized coverage that can only come from a landlord insurance policy. This type of policy may be required by your insurer.
A local independent agent can help you review the coverage needs of all your properties and can assist you with finding the best and most reasonably priced insurance policies to cover each of them.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Statesville?
The easiest way to find a reliable homeowners insurance policy at a great price is by working with an independent insurance agent. These agents work for you, not for an insurance company, so you can be sure that you are getting the coverage you need at a price you can afford. Independent agents in Statesville are ready to help.
Contact an insurance agent near you to start comparing customized home insurance quotes.