The county seat of North Carolina’s Wilson County, the city of Wilson is home to nearly 50,000 people. With its rich history, numerous recreational and entertainment venues, and great transit system, this is a wonderful city to settle down in. If you own a house in Wilson, you will want to be sure to protect your investment with a suitable homeowners insurance policy.
Independent insurance agents can help you obtain the best and most affordable insurance coverage for your house in Wilson. Find an insurance agent near you to start comparing a selection of customized home insurance quotes.
How Much Does Homeowners Insurance Cost in Wilson, NC?
In Wilson, the average cost of home insurance is slightly higher than the average in the state, but it is lower than the national average. Shopping around for coverage enables you to purchase a competitively priced policy that meets all of your coverage needs.
- National average yearly premium: $1,173
- North Carolina average yearly premium: $1,075
- Wilson average yearly premium: $1,095
Of course, you can expect your actual home insurance quotes to be different from the average rate listed above. This is because insurance costs are calculated on a case-by-case basis and are based on several considerations which may include:
- The age, value, and square footage of your house
- The materials used in your home’s construction and the age of your roof
- The crime rate and weather risks in your ZIP code
- Your claims history and credit score
- Whether you are bundling your coverage with other policies like car insurance or life insurance
Each insurance company has its own way of computing costs, so comparing a variety of quotes lets you choose the home insurance policy that offers you the best value for your money. Independent insurance agents in Wilson make comparison shopping easy.
What Are the Risks Faced by Homeowners in Wilson, NC?
Wilson homeowners insurance is designed to cover you against most of the hazards you are likely to face as a resident of this city. This includes everything from damages caused by accidental fires to those caused by severe weather events like windstorms, hail, and occasional freezing temperatures.
- Number of declared disasters in North Carolina: 58
- Most common reasons for disasters in the state: Hurricanes and floods
- Average number of tornadoes per year in North Carolina: 29.1
- Average amount of property damage per year in NC: $1,379,438,000
- 1 in 15 insured homes has a claim each year
The risk of tornadoes in this city is nine percent higher than the national average. In 2008, an F3 twister touched down in this city causing about $1 million in damages. Wilson was hit by tornadoes again in 2011.
Tornadoes can destroy roofs and completely decimate houses. You will want to be sure that your home insurance coverage limits are high enough to enable to rebuild your house and replace your belongings.
Hurricanes also pose a significant risk in this city. Although your home insurance can cover against the wind damage a hurricane can bring, it will not cover flood damage even if the flood is the direct result of a covered hurricane. Fortunately, your local insurance agent can help you supplement your homeowners insurance with an affordable flood insurance policy.
Does Homeowners Insurance Cover against Burglary in Wilson?
The burglary rate in North Carolina is much higher than the national rate. And in Wilson, the risk is even higher. This city averages about 500 burglaries a year.
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in the US: 4.69
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in North Carolina: 7.10
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Wilson: 9.53
If your house is broken into, it ca be very stressful. In addition to the invasion of your privacy, you must deal with the loss of your belongings. Fortunately, your home insurance can offer a measure of relief by reimbursing you for your losses as well as for the cost of repairing any damage the burglars may have done to your home.
Consult your local insurance agent for help ensuring that your contents coverage is sufficient to cover your most valuable possessions. Sometimes this involves purchasing special endorsements or riders to cover things like jewelry collections or excessive electronics.
Home security systems are among the most effective theft deterrents. That is why many insurance companies offer discounts to policy holders who have burglar alarms installed in their homes. Talk to an independent insurance age to learn more about this and other potential discounts.
Why Does Wilson Homeowners Insurance Provide Liability Coverage?
Liability lawsuits can be very expensive. Even if the courts rule in your favor, the cost of your legal defense can be overwhelming. That is why your homeowners insurance also provides you with personal liability coverage.
Homeowners liability insurance is designed to cover your court costs, legal defense fees, and damages if you or someone in your household is deemed responsible for third-party injuries or property damages. Some examples of times this liability coverage may be of use include:
- If a visitor is seriously injured in an accident on your property
- If your child breaks a neighbor’s window while playing in the yard with friends
- If your dog gets lose and bites a delivery person
- If you accidentally break a friend’s ankle during a friendly game of basketball at H. Boyd Lee Park
- If you are accused of libel or slander after posting something online
If you want to have more liability coverage than your home insurance policy will allow, you can supplement your coverage with an umbrella insurance policy. This is an affordable way to significantly raise all of your liability coverage. Your local insurance agent can help you find a competitively priced policy.
What about Insurance for Second Homes and Vacation Homes?
Maybe you own a vacation home near the ocean, or perhaps you own a second house that you rent to students at Barton College. Regardless of their purpose, if you own more than one house, you will need to cover all of your properties with appropriate home insurance policies.
Houses that do not serve as primary residences sometimes need to be covered by specialized home insurance policies. For example:
- Vacation homes that are left unoccupied for several months out of the year may need to be covered by vacant home insurance during the times they are not being used.
- Second homes that are occupied by renters need to be covered by landlord insurance which is specifically designed to meet the unique coverage needs of lessors.
A local independent insurance agent can help you find appropriate policies to cover all of your residential properties. Talk to your agent to learn more.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Wilson?
The easiest way to find the right homeowners insurance policy is by working with a local independent agent. These agents work for you, not for an insurance company, so you can be sure that you are receiving trustworthy guidance in your search for reliable coverage at a competitive rate.
Talk to an independent insurance agent with an office in or near Wilson to get answers to your insurance-related questions and to start comparing customized home insurance quotes.
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.