Around 47% of all homes in Charlotte are occupied by renters. Whether you are a student renting an apartment near the UNC Charlotte campus, a newlywed renting an apartment in Northlake, or a banker renting a townhouse in the trendy Fourth Ward, it is a wise decision to carry renters insurance.
Local independent agents can help you find the right policy. These agents are free to work with some of the best renters insurance companies in Charlotte, NC to find you a policy that suitably meets your coverage and budgetary needs. Talk to an independent insurance agent near you to get started.
Is Renters Insurance Required in Charlotte, NC?
Except in the few instances where landlords require it as part of their lease, renters insurance is fully optional in Charlotte. Just because it is optional, however, does not mean it is not worth looking into. These policies can provide a wide range of coverage that can insure your property and protect your finances.
Despite its many benefits, an estimated 63% of all tenants in the US do not have renters insurance coverage. One reason may be misperceptions about cost.
In Charlotte, the average rent is $1,135 a month, and many tenants do not want to add to their housing costs by buying optional insurance. What they may not realize is just how affordable a policy can be.
How Much Does Renters Insurance Cost in Charlotte, NC?
The average renters insurance policy in North Carolina costs just $157 a year. That is less than $14 a month. While rates in Charlotte may be slightly higher than the state average, this coverage is still very affordable. Factors that can influence your rates include:
- The estimated value of your personal property
- The amount of liability coverage you are purchasing
- The crime rate and weather risks in the ZIP code where your home is located
- The size of your deductible
- Whether you are bundling your renters insurance with another policy like car insurance or life insurance
By taking the time to compare quotes from a few different insurance companies, you can be certain that you are choosing a policy that provides all the coverage you want at the most competitive price. Independent agents make comparison shopping easy.
What Does Charlotte Renters Insurance Cover?
Renters insurance can protect your finances by providing you with three types of coverage:
- Coverage for your personal property: This is referred to as contents coverage. It can cover repair or replacement costs if your personal belongings are lost or damaged by a covered hazard such as:
- Fires: This includes coverage for fire and smoke damage whether the fire was caused by a lightning strike, an electrical problem, or an accident.
- Severe weather: This includes hazards like thunderstorms, high winds, hail, tornadoes, freezing temperatures, hurricanes, and tropical storms (but not the floods they may cause).
- Property crimes: This includes crimes like burglary and vandalism.
- Coverage against housing displacement: This is referred to as loss of use insurance. It can cover your miscellaneous living expenses if you must seek alternate accommodations because a covered event has rendered your rental home uninhabitable. Coverage can continue until your landlord completes repairs and you can safely return.
- Coverage against liability lawsuits: This is referred to as renters liability insurance. It can cover expenses like legal representation, mediation costs, settlements, and judgements if you or someone in your household unintentionally cause someone else to experience injuries, property damage, financial loss, or other harm.
When you are deciding how much property coverage you need, be sure to consider all your belongings, and how much it might cost you to fully replace everything if you were to experience a total loss in a disaster like a fire.
Ready to Save on Renters Insurance?
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
What about Coverage against Floods in Charlotte, NC?
Renters insurance does not cover against flood damage. If your building is impacted by a flash flood, your landlord will be responsible for covering damage to your home’s structure, but not to your personal property.
Around 15,000 properties in the Charlotte area have at least a 26% chance of sustaining significant flood damage in the next 30 years. This is most likely to happen when hurricanes make their way inland and drop prolonged, heavy rains on the area.
If you have an aboveground apartment, you probably have nothing to worry about. However, if you are renting a ground-floor unit or a house in a flood-prone area, you may be wondering what your options are.
The only way you will have coverage against floods is if you supplement your renters insurance policy with flood insurance. Affordable contents-only policies are available through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), a program run by FEMA.
How Can an Independent Insurance Agent in Charlotte, NC Help?
When you are shopping for renters insurance, a local independent agent can help. These agents can answer your coverage-related questions and can help you compare quotes from a few competing insurance companies so you can be sure you are getting your policy at a good price.
Arrange an obligation-free consultation with an independent insurance agent near you today, and you can soon be comparing customized quotes from some of the best renters insurance companies in Charlotte, NC.
©2022, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.