First settled in 1797, Mentor has grown into a population of almost 50,000 people. Mentor offers great quality of life with its excellent schools, affordable housing, and access to Lake Erie. If you own a home here, you’ll want to be sure to find a good Mentor, OH homeowners insurance policy.
Turn to an independent insurance agent for assistance with finding the right policy. These agents can help you understand your many policy options and can provide you with competitive Mentor home insurance quotes to compare. Talk with an agent near you to learn more.
Cost of Homeowners Insurance in Mentor, OH
Your home insurance policy rate will depend upon a number of factors including the value of your home, the amount and type of coverage you want, and other factors specific to you.
- National yearly premium average: $1,211
- Ohio yearly premium average: $862
- Mentor, OH yearly premium average: $841
Insurers all have their own way to calculate your premium. An independent agent will comparison shop for you so you can find a policy that fits your budget.
Mentor, OH Homeowners Insurance Coverage
Your basic home insurance policy will cover the cost to replace and rebuild your home when a covered peril happens. Common items that you’ll find coverage for in your policy are:
- Property: This is the coverage type that most people think of first. It covers damage to the structure of the house and other outlying structures like garages and fences.
- Home contents: Your personal possessions are valuable. This coverage provides compensation for damage to your personal property, including your clothing, furniture, and electronics, and for home improvements, including flooring, light fixtures, and appliances.
- Relocation assistance: If a home is rendered uninhabitable because of a covered incident, this policy option can provide compensation for the costs associated with temporary lodging.
All homeowners insurance policies come with limited liability coverage. This will provide protection for accidents you are liable for that occur inside or outside your home and result in bodily injury or property damage. Here are a few of the most common claims:
- If you’re playing baseball in the yard and accidentally throw it right through a neighbor’s car window.
- After a severe storm or heavy snow, if someone walks on your sidewalk and slips and falls.
- If your dog gets loose and bites someone leaving them injured.
- If you’re staying out-of-town and manage to damage a hotel lobby.
Your liability insurance has limited coverage. Once the limit is reached, you’ll be expected to pay out of pocket. Purchasing an additional umbrella policy will cover the rest of the bill. Talk with an agent about how much coverage you should have.
Common Catastrophes in Mentor, OH
- Number of federally declared disasters since 1953: 59
- Most common disaster in Ohio: Severe storms
- Average number of tornados a year in Ohio: 19
- Property damage from weather in Ohio: $1,105,456,000
The second most common natural threat in the area is flooding. Most homeowners don’t know that a homeowners insurance policy doesn’t cover damage caused by floods. For that, you’ll need to purchase an additional flood insurance policy. Enlist an agent to help you find a policy with the right coverage and price.
Burglary Rate in Mentor, OH
The crime rate in Mentor will impact your home insurance premium. This city has a much lower burglary rate when compared to other cities in the state.
- National burglary rate per 100,000 homes: 376.00
- Ohio burglary rate per 100,000 homes: 412.20
- Mentor, OH burglary rate per 100,000 homes: 84.9
Your homeowners insurance policy will cover loss and damage caused by burglary or vandalism. Taking a couple of additional steps to increase your security can help relieve stress if you become a victim, such as:
- Look into a home security system. Doing so can reduce the threat of burglary and potentially earn you a significant home policy discount that will offset the cost.
- Get enough coverage. Some of the more valuable items in your home may require you to purchase additional riders. A home inventory can help you estimate the value of your possessions and simplify the process of making an insurance claim.
Finding Affordable Home Insurance in Mentor, OH
When it’s time to purchase a home policy, or you just want to review your current coverage, contact an independent insurance agent for help. These local agents can answer your questions, provide coverage advice, and give you a variety of affordable quotes from multiple insurance companies. Connect with an agent to learn more about Mentor homeowners insurance.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.