Williamsport, PA, is known for its wood and as the founder of Little League Baseball. Nicknamed "The Lumber Capital of the World," this town has industry.
When you drive these historic streets of 28,462 residents, you'll need protection. An independent insurance agent can help with coverage and price. You can get connected with a local expert in minutes.
What Do You Need to Drive in Williamsport, PA?
Each state will have its own laws and mandates surrounding car insurance. When you use the roadways, you'll need to obtain the minimum liability requirements.
Williamsport, PA, auto insurance requirements:
- A minimum liability of $15,000 per person/$30,000 per accident/ $5,000 property damage.
While you're only obligated to carry the above state minimum limits, your agent may recommend more coverage. When the average price of a vehicle is over $36,000, the minimum won't even cover one claim. Discuss your car insurance options with your local independent agent.
Additional Car Coverage Options in Williamsport, PA
To have adequate protection for your car insurance, you may want to look into additional options. If you want coverage for your vehicle itself, you'll need to add it. Let's see what Williamsport auto insurance options there are:
- Gap coverage: This will pay for the difference between your auto loan and the value of your vehicle when a total loss occurs.
- Rental car coverage: This will provide reimbursement up to a preselected dollar amount for a rental vehicle.
- Tow coverage: This will pay for the tow of a covered auto.
- Medical payments coverage: This will provide for your smaller medical expenses when you're at fault for a claim.
- Comprehensive coverage: This will pay for property damage to your vehicle that is not a collision.
- Collision coverage: This will pay for property damage to your car or property in the event of a crash.
Car insurance needs more than liability most of the time. The best way to save on these coverage options is to discuss bundling with your agent. When you bundle your auto and home insurance, you qualify for a considerable discount. Talk with your Williamsport independent agent to chat further.
Uninsured Motorists in Williamsport, PA
Uninsured/underinsured motorists coverage or UM/UIM will protect you when another party is uninsured. UM/UIM is important coverage to have and will protect you and your family in the event of a loss. Take a look at the percentage of uninsured drivers below:
- National average: 13.0%
- Pennsylvania average: 7.6%
Whether you drive an SUV or a snowmobile, you'll want UM/UIM coverage. It's not state-mandated insurance, so you'll need to make sure you discuss it with your adviser. An independent agent can quote the limits of UM/UIM to get you started.
How Theft Rates Affect Your Williamsport, PA, Car Insurance
When you are the victim of a car burglary, you want to be sure your policy responds. Like your homeowners insurance, your car insurance will protect against theft if you have the right policy. Comprehensive coverage can help replace stolen items when a loss occurs.
Theft rates on your car insurance:
- National average: 228.9
- Pennsylvania average: 102.4
- Williamsport average: 67.1
Williamsport has a lower than average car theft rate, which means your premiums could be less. The carriers will look at local crime to determine your costs. Contact your Williamsport independent agent to see how theft impacts your pricing.
What's the Price of Williamsport, PA, Car Insurance?
You will have unique pricing on car insurance, no matter where you live. The carriers use a variety of rating criteria when determining your costs. Some rating factors you should be aware of are below:
- Crime rates
- Weather risks and natural disasters
- The coverages you choose
- Your claims history and insurance score
- Policy discounts that may apply
- Your motor vehicle records (MVRs)
Similar to life insurance, the carriers use your personal data and history to make up the bulk of your premium. While you won't have to take a health exam to get this coverage, you will have to account for your MVRs and losses. Connect with an independent agent to find out your premiums.
Are You Covered as an Uber Driver under a Williamsport, PA, Car Insurance Policy?
A personal auto policy usually excludes coverage for livery-for-hire or rideshare services. If you are driving for Uber or Lyft, you may not have coverage. Things to ask your independent agent if you are a rideshare driver:
- Does my current auto policy provide coverage when I am transporting people?
- Does my current auto policy provide coverage when I am transporting things to people like groceries or food?
- Do I need a separate business auto policy for livery-for-hire services?
Since you're technically operating a business, you'll need commercial vehicle insurance. This policy will protect your operations and supply coverage for a loss involving a customer. Talk with your Williamsport independent agent to discuss your business insurance.
Connect with a Williamsport, PA, Independent Insurance Agent
Your auto insurance should be personalized to your specific needs. When you work with an independent insurance agent, they have options on coverage and cost.
An independent agent works with several carriers, giving you the policy you need within your budget. Connect with a local expert on TrustedChoice.com and start saving today.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.