Driving from one side of Rhode Island to the other side can take less than an hour, but it only takes a few minutes to experience an accident. This state has many different industries which require the use of a commercial vehicle. If you or your employees drive a car or truck for business purposes, you need Rhode Island commercial vehicle insurance, to protect your business from loss caused by an accident or theft.
Common Causes of Commercial Vehicle Accidents
- Failing to use a turn signal
- Distracted driving
- Driver fatigue
- Ignoring traffic signals
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
Getting the Right Rhode Island Commercial Vehicle Insurance
Rhode Island requires that all commercial drivers obtain a CDL license, and commercial vehicles, especially large commercial trucks, are subject to specific laws. On top of state requirements, there are issues specific to your particular business that must be considered. For example, a business that has a fleet of moving trucks doesn’t need the same kind of Rhode Island commercial vehicle insurance as a small pizza company with 3 delivery cars. Consider the following aspects of your commercial vehicle needs:
- The types of vehicles used
- Owners of the vehicles
- Types of goods and services delivered
- Number of drivers and driving history
- Frequency of vehicle use
- Distance the vehicle travels
What Does Commercial Auto Insurance Cover?
Rhode Island commercial vehicle insurance is meant to protect your business from the cost of damage, both physical and legal. It also protects your drivers, although it’s your responsibility to make sure they have proper training and certification. A basic insurance package will include the following policies:
- Liability insurance: If you or an employee causes an accident, this coverage will pay for bodily injury and property damages. If you’re sued, it will pay for legal fees and judgment amounts, depending on your coverage limit.
- Collision insurance: If you collide with another object, like a vehicle or a tree, this policy will pay for the physical damages.
- Comprehensive insurance: This policy will cover damage from weather, theft, or vandalism. It can be referred to as ‘other than collision.'
- Medical payments: If anyone in your commercial auto is injured, this policy can pay for medical expenses.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist insurance: This policy will cover damage and bodily injury to those under your insurance policy if the other driver caused the accident.
- Contents coverage: If you tow valuable merchandise or cargo, contents coverage can protect you from loss due to accident or theft.
Get Customized Commercial Auto Coverage
A Trusted Choice® member agent can put together a coverage package that meets each of your business's commercial auto needs. An independent agent can help you find competitive Rhode Island commercial vehicle insurance quotes. Find a nearby agent today, to get the right Rhode Island commercial vehicle insurance for your company.