Columbia is a city with many wonderful traditions dating back several centuries. One of these iconic attractions is the South Carolina State Farmers Market, a proud showcase for Columbia's local agricultural production. Another feature that has stood the test of time is the South Carolina Governor’s Mansion, which has been home to more than 30 governors and was originally an officers' residence of the Arsenal Military Academy. Many folks who live in this city need their car to get around, and they know how vital it is to have a Columbia, SC car insurance policy to drive safely.
South Carolina Car Insurance Requirements
The South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles legally requires minimum liability amounts for every auto covered by Columbia car insurance. This minimum amount of liability coverage will protect you should you become involved in an accident and, due to your negligence, cause property damage or a physical injury to one or more people. The mandatory minimum liability insurance coverage that you must carry includes the following:
- Bodily injury liability
- Property damage liability
The minimum amount of liability insurance is 25/50/25:
- $25,000 liability insurance for any injury caused to a single individual
- $50,000 liability insurance for any injuries caused to two or more people
- $25,000 liability insurance for damage you cause to the property of another individual
South Carolina Uninsured Motorists
- National uninsured motorists: 12.6%
- South Carolina uninsured motorists: 7.7%
- Average vehicle repair cost in South Carolina: $1,952
The number of uninsured drivers in South Carolina is considerably lower than the national figures, but there is always a chance that an uninsured motorist will be at fault in an accident. Your uninsured motorist coverage can provide the extra security and peace of mind that comes from knowing damages will be covered if an at-fault driver does not have liability insurance or the money for compensation.
Car Thefts in South Carolina
- National vehicle thefts (per 1,000 registered vehicles): 2.94
- South Carolina vehicle thefts (per 1,000 registered vehicles): 3.49
More cars are stolen in South Carolina than the national rate. Your risk of this type of loss can be decreased by a few common-sense measures. Always lock your car and park it in secure or well-lit areas whenever possible, and consider anti-theft devices and GPS. A comprehensive auto policy will ensure that you are reimbursed for this big loss if your car is stolen.
Other Insurance Options for your Auto Policy
In addition to the legally required liability insurance, you can buy other forms of Columbia car insurance for your vehicle such as these:
- Additional liability: Although you are carrying the minimum liability coverage, you might want to increase your liability insurance, as a lawsuit can be very expensive and you might not have enough liability protection. Any damage award levied as a claim against you that is higher than the liability amount you currently carry will become your financial responsibility.
- Collision coverage: This insurance covers any collision accidents you are involved in and will pay or reimburse you to repair your vehicle or replace your vehicle for a total loss, which might be subject to depreciation.
- Comprehensive coverage: This insurance encompasses a variety of specific perils that may vary from insurer to insurer, including such incidents as the theft of your vehicle, vandalism, fire damage and other perils as outlined in the policy you purchase.
- Medical payments coverage: Should you suffer injuries in an auto accident, this coverage will reimburse you for any medical costs you incur for medical treatment and hospitalization, subject to policy limitations.
South Carolina Car Insurance Costs
- National average annual premium: $1,311
- South Carolina average annual premium: $1,210
- 31st most expensive premiums in the US
The average annual premium, which is a bit lower than the national average, is just an estimate of your final rates. A number of variables affect the premiums you will actually pay for your Columbia car insurance policy:
- Driver’s age
- Make and model of your vehicle
- The age, condition, and mileage of the vehicle
- The amount of your deductible
- The amount and type of coverage you choose for your policy
Discounts for a Car Insurance Policy
Most insurers offer a number of discounts that will allow you to lower the cost of your premium. These discounts might include:
- Safe driving discount
- Bundling discount for bundling your auto insurance with other policies you have with the same insurer
- Signup discount
- Military discount if you are in the military
- Professional organization discount if you belong to certain organizations.
How to Find Car Insurance in Columbia
An independent insurance agent in our network can provide you with a number of policy options and can show you comparable Columbia auto insurance quotes from different companies.
Contact an agent today and get the car insurance you need.