Myrtle Beach, SC is known as a vacation spot, famous for the Grand Strand beach that draws millions of tourists every year. There are a lot of people crowding into the city from all over the U.S. to enjoy the great weather, which makes for a lot of hazards for any driver. Car insurance is never cheap in a vacation spot, so it’s important to do your homework.
Insuring your car is not only required by state law, but it also protects you from other drivers to whatever level you want. It can be expensive, however, if you don’t get just what you need at the lowest possible price. Your Independent Insurance Agent is important in getting you the best deal possible. Your agent will get you quotes from many different carriers to find the Myrtle Beach car insurance that fits your needs and your wallet.
Cost of Car Insurance in South Carolina
Car insurance premiums are priced based on these seven different factors, in order:
- Your coverage and deductibles - This is your protection level for any claim.
- Your vehicle - The more expensive it is to repair your car, the more your premium will cost.
- Your driving habits, i.e., how often and how far you drive - Insurers usually take your word for it.
- Your ZIP code - How much vandalism has there been in your neighborhood?
- Your driving record - Are you accident- and ticket-free?
- Your credit history - A credit risk is considered to be an insurance risk.
- Your age, sex and marital status - Single males under 25 pay higher premiums.
The average spent per year on car insurance premiums across the U.S. is $1,311, but in South Carolina, it is only $1,210. That ranks the state 31st in cost and puts it below average for premium cost.
South Carolina Car Insurance Requirements
Minimum protection with insurance is required by state law for every vehicle. You can elect to have more coverage in order to protect yourself from loss and lawsuits if you want, however. Coverage you may select includes the following:
- Bodily Injury Liability: This is required, with a minimum of $25,000 per person covered and a minimum of $50,000 total for all persons injured in an accident.
- Property Damage Liability: This is also required, with a minimum of $25,000 for any property (primarily other cars) damaged in an accident.
- Personal Injury Protection: This is not required, but you may elect to cover any injuries to your person.
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage: This is not required in South Carolina, but you may want it in case you are hit by someone who has no insurance.
- Comprehensive: This is a policy that includes all of the above plus many additional features, including coverage for any damage to the car for any reason.
You are responsible for any additional costs above your coverage if you are found responsible for an accident in a court of law. The state minimums are not very high, and the cost of an accident that injures someone else may be much more expensive than these limits. That’s why additional coverage may be important.
Number of Uninsured Motorists in South Carolina
The possibility you might get into an accident with a driver who has no insurance is very high since 12.6 percent of all drivers, or one in eight, are uninsured on average in the U.S. South Carolina is slightly better, with only 7.7 percent of all drivers uninsured. Purchasing uninsured motorist coverage is usually a great way to go, especially if you have a new car and select comprehensive coverage. It doesn’t cost much more and can save you quite a lot if you are in an accident with someone who is not covered.
Number of Auto Thefts in South Carolina
It’s important to protect yourself from theft and take good care of your car. Nationally there are 2.94 thefts for every 1,000 cars every year. The rate is higher in South Carolina, with 3.49 thefts for every 1,000 cars. It’s also important to always park someplace that has a lot of people around at all times and has good lighting to prevent theft. Most cars come with alarms today, but you have to remember to set it for it to be of any use.
You can do a lot to minimize your risk even with the best possible Myrtle Beach auto insurance.
Find a Great Myrtle Beach Car Insurance Policy
By getting the best quotes to fit your needs, you can save a lot of money in the long run – both every time you pay the premium and any time the worst does happen to you. Contact your agent today, and get quotes that are right for you. Talk to an Independent Insurance Agent. The agent can help you assess your needs based on what you can afford and what you drive. It’s also the best way to get a large number of quotes from different agencies.