Even the most experienced drivers can sometimes find themselves in vehicle accidents. That is why vehicle owners in Aberdeen are required by state law to have auto insurance. From fender benders on 6th Avenue to multi-car collisions on I-281, a reliable auto insurance policy can shield you from a large financial loss in the wake of a collision.
Finding the best car insurance is easy when you work with an independent insurance agent. An agent with an office in or near Aberdeen can provide you with a variety of customized auto insurance quotes so you can be sure you are purchasing a competitively priced policy. Contact an insurance agent near you to get started.
Minimum Car Insurance Requirements in South Dakota
As a resident of South Dakota, your car insurance policy must include, at a minimum, the following:
- Bodily injury liability: Required
- Property damage liability: Required
- Personal injury protection (PIP): Not required
- Uninsured motorist coverage: Required
- Minimum liability limits: 25/50/25; Coverage up to $50,000 for all persons injured in an accident, subject to a limit of $25,000 per individual; and $25,000 coverage for property damage.
Though a minimum-coverage policy may be your least expensive option, it is not always the best choice. South Dakota’s requirements are high to enough cover your liability for most minor collisions, but a major accident involving serious injuries can easily exceed what a minimum-coverage policy will cover. You would then need to make up the difference out-of-pocket.
That is why many Aberdeen vehicle owners choose to purchase car insurance with much higher liability insurance limits than South Dakota requires. Some residents also opt to purchase umbrella insurance in order to get even higher levels of liability coverage. Your insurance agent can help you get the liability coverage you need at a price you can afford.
Save on Car Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Aberdeen, SD?
Car insurance rates in the state of South Dakota tend to be lower than the national average, and in Aberdeen, the average cost for coverage is even lower. You can get the best price by shopping around and comparing rates.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- South Dakota average annual car insurance cost: $1,180
- Aberdeen average annual car insurance cost: $1,058
Of course, car insurance costs can vary significantly from one driver to the next, because they are calculated individually according to several different considerations. Examples of things that can influence your costs include:
- The year, make, and model of your vehicle
- Your age, gender, occupation, driving history, and credit score
- Information about other drivers in your household, unless they are specifically excluded from your coverage
- The estimated number of miles you drive your car each year
- The accident and auto theft rates in the vicinity of your home
- Whether you are bundling your coverage with another policy like home insurance or renters insurance
If you have been driving for several years and have a clean driving record, your coverage will cost less than if you are a teenage driver insuring their first car. An independent insurance agent in Aberdeen can help you easily obtain and review customized car insurance quotes from a variety of highly-rated insurers.
Number of Uninsured Motorists in South Dakota
As a resident of South Dakota, if you are caught driving without insurance, you can face some serious consequences. Penalties in this state include a $100 fine, 30 days in jail, the suspension of your driving privileges for up to one year, and the requirement to provide the state with proof of insurance for three years.
- How many US drivers are uninsured? 13%
- How many South Dakota drivers are uninsured? 7.7%
South Dakota has a relatively low uninsured driver rate. Still, about one in 13 motorists you are sharing the roads with is driving an uninsured vehicle. If one of these drivers is responsible for an accident, uninsured motorist insurance can ensure that you get the compensation you deserve quickly and easily. Uninsured motorist insurance is optional in many states, but in South Dakota, it is required.
Coverage against Auto Thefts in Aberdeen
The auto theft rate in South Dakota is significantly lower than the national average, and in Aberdeen, it is even lower. This is not to say that the risk does not exist. Approximately 30 cars are reported stolen in this city in a typical year.
- National auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.28
- South Dakota auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 1.73
- Aberdeen auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 1.06
Be aware that you cannot get compensation for a stolen car unless your auto insurance policy includes comprehensive, or “other than collision,” insurance. This insurance is optional, but most lenders will require you to carry it until your vehicle is paid in full.
Comprehensive insurance can be beneficial, particularly if your car has a high resale value. It covers more than just auto theft. It can also reimburse you for loss and damage caused by other non-collision hazards such as falling trees, wind damage, floods, structure fires, and vandalism.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Aberdeen?
As a vehicle owner in Aberdeen, you can turn to a local independent agent for assistance when you are searching for the best auto insurance policy to meet your coverage and budgetary needs. These agents are free to work with a variety of insurance providers so they can help you find the most affordable policy.
Find an independent insurance agent in or near Aberdeen to learn more, and you can start comparing customized car insurance quotes in no time.
©2022, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.