From fender benders on North Main Street to multi-car collisions on I-90, accidents can happen anytime, anywhere and to anyone —even to the most cautious and experienced drivers. Fortunately, a dependable car insurance policy can shield drivers in Mitchell, South Dakota from the expensive costs associated with vehicle collisions.
An independent insurance agent with an office in or near Mitchell can help you find the best and most affordable auto insurance policy to meet your coverage needs. Contact an insurance agent near you to start comparing customized car insurance quotes.
What Does Mitchell Car Insurance Cover?
Car insurance policies are a mixture of required and optional coverage. As a resident of Mitchell, you must have a policy that meets or exceeds the state’s coverage requirements. You can expect your insurance provider to offer the following coverage:
- Liability insurance (Required): This covers third-party damage if you cause an accident. Your policy must include bodily injury liability coverage of at least $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident, as well as property damage liability coverage of at least $25,000
- Uninsured motorist insurance (Required): Although this coverage is optional in many states, it is required in South Dakota. It is designed to cover your damage and injuries if you are in a collision with an uninsured, underinsured, or hit and run driver.
- Personal injury protection (PIP) (Not required): This can cover medical expenses for treating injuries sustained by you or your passengers if you are responsible for a vehicle accident.
- Collision insurance (Not required): This can pay to repair damage to your vehicle if it is damaged in a collision, regardless of fault. Though optional by law, this coverage is often required by lenders until your vehicle is paid off.
- Comprehensive insurance (Not required): This can pay to repair your vehicle if it is damaged in a non-collision event such as a flood, windstorm, or property crime. Though optional by law, this coverage is often required by lenders until your vehicle is paid off.
- Roadside assistance and towing (Not required): This can cover the cost of assistance if your vehicle becomes disabled while you are out on the road.
- Rental reimbursement coverage: This can cover the cost of renting a vehicle while repairs are being made to your car.
Although a minimum-coverage policy may be your least expensive option, it is not always the best choice. If you cause a collision and your insurance limits are too low, you will be expected to make up the difference out-of-pocket. Talk to your insurance agent for help determining how much liability coverage to buy and which coverage options are a good fit for you.
Save on Car Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
Number of Uninsured Motorists in South Dakota
Driving without insurance in South Dakota is illegal, but more than one out of every 20 motorists you are sharing the roads with in this state is uninsured. If caught, these drivers can face fines, suspension of their drivers’ license, and jail time.
- Percentage of US drivers who are uninsured: 12.6%
- Percentage of South Dakota drivers who are uninsured: 7.7%
Uninsured motorist insurance is designed to compensate you for injuries or damage to your vehicle if you are in an accident that was caused by an uninsured, underinsured, or hit-and-run driver. That way, you do not have to sue to collect damages. Although uninsured motorist insurance is optional in many states, it is required in South Dakota.
Because your policy includes uninsured motorist coverage, you can rest assured that if an uninsured driver is responsible for a collision with your vehicle, your insurance company will provide you with the coverage you need upfront. Your insurance company will then absorb the costs if they are unable to collect reimbursement from the at-fault driver.
How High Is the Auto Theft Rate in Mitchell, SD?
The auto theft rate in South Dakota is lower than the national rate, but in Mitchell, it is much higher. There are about 35 cars stolen in this small city every year.
- National auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.94
- South Dakota auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 1.14
- Mitchell auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 5.59
Comprehensive insurance must be included in your car insurance policy in order for you to be reimbursed for auto theft. This optional insurance is usually required by lenders until your vehicle is paid in full and by dealerships if you are leasing it.
Comprehensive insurance covers you against more than just car thefts. It also covers loss or damage caused by several other non-collision hazards such as falling objects, flash floods, wind damage, structure fires, and vandalism. This coverage is especially important if you are covering a high-value vehicle.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Mitchell, SD?
The average cost of car insurance in South Dakota is lower than the national average, and the cost in Mitchell is lower than the state average.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- South Dakota average annual car insurance cost: $1,180
- Mitchell average annual car insurance cost: $1,022
Every insurance company you contact will probably provide you with a different quote for coverage. This is because each has its own method for calculating costs. Your rates can be influenced by a variety of factors such as:
- The number of vehicles you are insuring
- Your vehicle’s make, model, trim, and year
- Your age, gender, occupation, driving record, and credit score
- Information about other drivers in your household
- Whether you own or rent your home
- The amount of your deductible, and how much liability insurance you are purchasing
If you are bundling your car insurance with other policies like homeowners insurance or renters insurance, you may even qualify for significant discounts. Let a local independent insurance agent help you start comparing customized quotes so you know how much a policy will cost you.
Let an Independent Agent in Mitchell Help You Find the Best Car Insurance
Independent insurance agents can be a great source of information when you are shopping for the right car insurance policy. These insurance professionals can explain your various options, answer your insurance-related questions, and help you review offerings from a variety of providers. That way you can choose the insurance company that offers you the best value.
Contact an independent insurance agent with an office in or near Mitchell to start comparing customized car insurance quotes.
©2022, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.