Even the most experienced drivers can sometimes get into accidents. That is why if you own a vehicle in Pierre, you are required by state law to have car insurance. From fender-benders on E. Wells Avenue to multi-car collisions on US Route 14, a reliable auto insurance policy can shield you from large financial losses due to a car crash.
Finding the best car insurance is easy when you work with a local independent insurance agent. These agents can provide you with a variety of customized auto insurance quotes so you can be sure you are purchasing great coverage at a competitive price. Find an insurance agent in or near Pierre to get started.
What Are the Car Insurance Requirements in Pierre?
As a resident of Pierre, you must remain in compliance with South Dakota state law. This means that your car insurance policy is required to include, at the very least, the following:
- Liability coverage
- Bodily injury liability: At least $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident
- Property damage liability: At least $25,000
- Uninsured motorist insurance coverage
Although a minimum-coverage policy may be your least expensive option, it is not always the best choice. If you cause a crash and your insurance limits are too low to cover your liabilities, you will be expected to make up the difference out of pocket.
That is why many Pierre vehicle owners purchase car insurance with much higher liability insurance limits than the state of South Dakota requires. You can further boost your liability coverage by purchasing umbrella insurance. Talk to your local insurance agent to find out how much it will cost you to obtain different levels of coverage.
What Else Can Pierre Car Insurance Cover?
In addition to the coverage that is required by state law, you have the choice to include any of the following coverage options in your car insurance policy:
- Personal injury protection (PIP): This can pay for necessary medical treatments if you or your passengers are injured in a collision that was your fault.
- Collision insurance: This can pay to repair collision-related damage to your vehicle regardless of who was at fault.
- Comprehensive insurance: This can pay to repair non-collision damage to your vehicle.
- Roadside assistance and towing insurance: This pays for assistance if your vehicle becomes disabled while you are on the road.
- Rental reimbursement insurance: This can pay for the cost of renting a vehicle while covered repairs are being made to your car.
Talk to an insurance agent in Pierre to learn more about these coverage options and for help determining which, if any, are a good fit for you.
Save on Car Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
How High Is the Number of Uninsured Motorists in South Dakota?
Driving without insurance in South Dakota is illegal. If caught, violators can face a fine, jail time, and suspension of their driving privileges for up to one year. Even so, some people still opt to drive uninsured vehicles in this state.
- Percentage of US drivers who are uninsured: 12.6%
- Percentage of South Dakota drivers who are uninsured: 7.7%
Unlike many other states, uninsured motorist insurance is required in South Dakota. That means that if you are in an accident caused by an uninsured, under-insured, or hit-and-run driver, your insurance company can provide you with the compensation you are owed right away. Your insurer will then attempt to recoup their costs by going after the at-fault driver.
Does Pierre Car Insurance Cover Vehicle Thefts?
The auto theft rate in Pierre is lower than the national average but higher than the state average. On average, 25 car thefts are reported in this small city per year.
- National auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.94
- South Dakota auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 1.74
- Pierre auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.41
You cannot be compensated for a stolen car unless your auto insurance policy includes comprehensive, or “other than collision,” insurance. This insurance is optional, but most lenders will require you have it until your vehicle is paid in full. If you are leasing your car, the dealership will require you to have this coverage.
Comprehensive insurance covers far more than just theft. It can also reimburse you for loss and damage to your car when it is caused by a variety of other non-collision hazards such as falling trees or objects, heavy winds, floods, fires, and vandalism. Talk to your independent insurance agent to find out how much it will cost you to add comprehensive coverage to your car insurance policy.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Pierre, SD?
The average cost of car insurance in Pierre is lower than the national average, but it is higher than the average rate in South Dakota.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- South Dakota average annual car insurance cost: $1,180
- Pierre average annual car insurance cost: $1,218
Of course, rates can vary significantly from one driver to the next, so you can expect your actual quote rates to differ from the city’s average. Car insurance costs are calculated individually according to several considerations. Some things that can influence your rate include:
- The make, model, trim, and year of the vehicle(s) you are insuring
- Your age, gender, occupation, driving history, and credit score
- Details about other drivers in your household unless they are specifically excluded from your coverage
- The estimated number of miles you drive your car each year
- The accident and auto theft rates in the vicinity of your home
- Whether you are bundling your coverage with another policy like home insurance or renters insurance
Shopping for coverage enables you to compare rates and find the policy that offers the best value. An independent insurance agent in Pierre can help you easily obtain and review customized car insurance quotes from a variety of reliable insurance companies.
Why Contact an Independent Insurance Agent in Pierre, SD?
As a vehicle owner in Pierre, you can turn to an independent agent for help when you are looking for a reliable auto insurance policy that meets your coverage and budgetary needs. These professionals are free to work with a number of different insurance providers so they can assist you in finding the best and most affordable policy.
Find an independent insurance agent in or near Pierre to learn more. You can start comparing customized car insurance quotes in no time.
©2023, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.