Even the most experienced drivers can sometimes cause accidents. That is why vehicle owners in Rapid City are required to have auto insurance. From fender benders on Omaha Street to multi-car collisions on I-90, a reliable car insurance policy can prevent you from facing a large financial loss because of an accident.
Shopping for car insurance is easy when you work with an independent insurance agent in Rapid City. These agents can help you obtain and compare a variety of car insurance quotes. That way, you can be sure you are getting the coverage you need at a price you can afford. Contact an insurance agent near you to get started.
Minimum Car Insurance Requirements in South Dakota
Every state has designated minimum requirements for auto insurance. In South Dakota, all car insurance policies must include at least the following:
- Bodily injury liability: Required
- Property damage liability: Required
- Personal injury protection (PIP): Not required
- Uninsured motorist coverage: Required
- Minimum liability limits: 25/50/25; coverage up to $50,000 for all persons injured in an accident, subject to a limit of $25,000 for one individual; and $25,000 coverage for property damage.
Naturally, a policy that merely meets the state-mandated minimums is the cheapest option and it is adequate to cover most minor accidents. However, if you cause a serious collision in which several people are badly injured, the resultant costs can greatly exceed what your policy will cover. In that case, you would be expected to make up the difference out-of-pocket.
That is why many Rapid City drivers opt to purchase car insurance that has higher-than-required liability limits. Some residents of this city also purchase umbrella insurance in order to acquire even more liability coverage than their auto policy can offer. Your independent insurance agent can help you find the liability coverage you want at a price you can afford.
Your Policy Covers against Uninsured Motorists in South Dakota
Although it is illegal to do so in South Dakota, some drivers in this state take to the roads in uninsured vehicles. If caught, they can face fines, suspension of their driving privileges, and even jail time.
- Percentage of US drivers who are uninsured: 12.6%
- Percentage of South Dakota drivers who are uninsured: 7.7%
If you are in an accident that is caused by an uninsured driver, that driver is responsible for compensating you for your damage and necessary medical treatment. Uninsured motorist insurance was created to ensure that you can receive timely compensation without the need to take legal action against the at-fault driver. Uninsured motorist insurance is optional in many states, but it is required in South Dakota.
This insurance can cover you whether you are in a collision with an uninsured, underinsured, or a hit-and-run driver. Following the accident, your insurance company will try to collect the money owed directly from the responsible driver and will absorb the costs if unsuccessful.
You Can Get Coverage for Damage to Your Vehicle
The state requires you to carry liability insurance to cover damage to other people’s cars if you cause an accident; but what about damage to your own car if you are at fault? Two optional coverage types can cover damage to your vehicle:
- Collision insurance: This covers the cost to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged or totaled in a collision, regardless of fault.
- Comprehensive insurance: This covers the cost to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged or totaled by a non-collision event such as a windstorm, flood, or fire.
If you are still paying for your car, you probably have both of these coverage types, since they are typically required by lenders. Also, if you are leasing your vehicle, the dealership probably requires you to carry these coverages in your car insurance policy. Once you own your car outright, however, they are optional.
Number of Auto Thefts in Rapid City, SD
The auto theft rate in the state of South Dakota is lower than the national rate. Even in Rapid City, where more than 200 auto thefts are reported in a typical year, the rate is lower than the national average.
- National auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.94
- South Dakota auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 1.14
- Rapid City auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.82
You can reduce your risk of car theft by keeping your car securely locked, parking in well-lit areas, and making sure that valuables inside the car are not visible from the outside. If your car is stolen, you can get compensation for your loss as long as your car insurance policy includes comprehensive coverage. Talk to an independent insurance agent to learn more.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Rapid City, SD?
The average car insurance rate in this state is lower than the national average. Although costs in Rapid City tend to be a bit higher than throughout much of the state, they are still below the national rate. This is good news for residents who are in search of an affordable policy.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- South Dakota average annual car insurance cost: $1,180
- Rapid City average annual car insurance cost: $1,252
Of course, the costs shown above can only give you a general idea of what you might actually be expected to pay. Car insurance rates vary from one driver to the next because they are calculated individually according to several factors. Insurance companies will take into account such things as:
- The make, model, trim, and year of each vehicle you are insuring
- The number of vehicles you are including on your policy
- Your age, occupation, driving record, claims history, and credit score
- Information about the other licensed drivers in your household
- Where you live and park your car
- The amount of coverage you are purchasing
- Whether you own or rent your home
Frequently, you can get reduced rates if you bundle your car insurance with other policies such as home insurance or renters insurance. Comparison shopping lets you find the coverage you need at the best price. Contact an independent agent in Rapid City to easily compare a selection of customized quotes.
Let an Independent Agent in Rapid City Help You Find the Best Car Insurance
You can ask a local independent insurance agent for assistance with finding the best auto insurance to meet your coverage and budgetary needs. Contact an insurance agent in or near Rapid City to start comparing customized car insurance quotes. You’ll soon discover how easy it can be to get reliable coverage at a great price.
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.