From fender benders on Junction Avenue to multi-car collisions on I-90, accidents can happen anytime, anywhere and to anyone —especially in the winter months when roads can be slick with ice and sleet. Fortunately, a dependable car insurance policy can shield drivers in Sturgis, SD from the expensive costs associated with crashes.
Independent insurance agents can help you find the best and most affordable auto insurance policy to meet your coverage needs. Find an insurance agent in Sturgis to learn more, and you can start comparing customized car insurance quotes in no time.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Sturgis, SD?
The average cost of car insurance in South Dakota is lower than the national average. However, in Sturgis, the rates tend to be a bit higher. This makes shopping around for the best price even more important.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- South Dakota average annual car insurance cost: $1,180
- Sturgis average annual car insurance cost: $1,378
It’s entirely possible that the rates you are quoted will differ significantly from the city average. This is because insurance costs are calculated according to a variety of factors such as:
- The make, model, trim, and year of every vehicle you are insuring
- Your age, gender, occupation, driving record, and credit score
- Information about other licensed drivers in your household
- Whether you own or rent your home
- The amount of your deductible
- How much liability insurance you are purchasing
- The coverage options you are including in your policy
There are ways to lower your rates with discounts. If you are bundling your car insurance with other coverage like homeowners insurance or renters insurance, you might qualify for significant discounts on both policies. If you have a solid driving record, or are a student with good grades, you might also be entitled to discounts.
Let a local independent insurance agent help you obtain the coverage you need at the best price.
What Does Sturgis Car Insurance Cover?
Car insurance policies are a mixture of required and optional coverage. As a resident of Sturgis, you need to have a policy that meets or exceeds the state’s minimum coverage requirements.
You can expect your insurance provider to offer the following coverage:
- Liability insurance (required): This covers other people’s injuries and damage if you cause an accident. Your policy must include bodily injury liability coverage of at least $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident; and property damage liability coverage of at least $25,000 per accident.
- Uninsured motorist insurance (required): This is designed to cover damage and injuries you may suffer if you are in a collision with an uninsured, underinsured, or hit-and-run driver.
- Personal injury protection (PIP) (optional): This can cover medical expenses for treating injuries sustained by you or your passengers if you are responsible for a vehicle accident.
- Collision insurance (optional): This can pay to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged in a collision, regardless of fault. Though optional by law, this coverage is often required by lenders until your car is paid off and by dealerships if you are leasing it.
- Comprehensive insurance (optional): This can pay to repair or replace your vehicle if it is lost or damaged due a non-collision event such as a flood, falling object, or property crime. Though optional by law, this coverage is often required by lenders until your car is paid off and by dealerships if you lease it.
- Roadside assistance and towing (optional): This can cover the cost of assistance if your vehicle becomes disabled while you are out on the road, such as if you get a flat tire or run out of gas.
- Rental reimbursement coverage: This can cover the cost of renting a comparable vehicle while repairs are being made to your car following a covered event.
Although a minimum-coverage policy may be your least expensive option, it is not always the best choice. If you cause a collision and your liability limits are too low, you will be expected to make up the difference out of pocket. Talk to your insurance agent for help determining how much liability coverage you can reasonably afford.
Why Is Uninsured Motorist Insurance So Important?
Driving without insurance in South Dakota is illegal, but about one in twelve motorists you are sharing the roads with in this state is driving an uninsured vehicle. If caught, these drivers can face fines, suspension of their driver.s license, and jail time.
- How many US drivers are uninsured? 12.6%
- How many South Dakota drivers are uninsured? 7.7%
Uninsured motorist insurance is optional in many states, but it is required in South Dakota. Because your policy includes this coverage, you can rest assured that if an uninsured driver is responsible for a collision with your vehicle, you will receive the compensation you are due without needing to go through expensive lawyers or time-consuming lawsuits.
How High Is the Auto Theft Rate in Sturgis?
The auto theft rate in South Dakota is lower than the national average. In Sturgis, the rate is even lower. This is not to say the risk does not exist. There are an average of eight vehicles stolen in this small city every year.
- National auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.94
- South Dakota auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 1.74
- Sturgis auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 1.30
In order for you to be reimbursed for an auto theft, your car insurance policy must include comprehensive coverage. Talk to your insurance agent to learn how much it will cost you to add this important coverage to your car insurance policy.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Sturgis, SD?
Independent agents are a great source of information when you are shopping for the right car insurance policy. These insurance professionals can explain your many coverage options, answer your insurance-related questions, and help you review offerings from multiple providers. That way you can choose the policy that offers you the best value for your money.
Contact an independent insurance agent with an office in or near Sturgis to start comparing customized car insurance quotes.
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.