From fender benders on 9th Avenue to multi-car collisions on I-29, accidents can happen anytime, anywhere and to anyone —even to the most careful and experienced drivers. Fortunately, a dependable car insurance policy can shield Watertown drivers from the expensive costs associated with vehicle collisions. An independent insurance agent with an office in or near Watertown can help you find the best and most affordable auto insurance policy to meet your coverage needs. Find an insurance agent near you to get started.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Watertown, SD?
The good news is that South Dakota residents pay less, on average, than drivers in most other states, and in Watertown, the average rate is even lower. You can ensure that you are getting your coverage at the best price by comparing quotes from a few different insurance companies.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- South Dakota average annual car insurance cost: $1,180
- Watertown average annual car insurance cost: $991
Of course, every insurance company you contact is likely to provide you with a different quote. This is because each has its own method for determining risk and calculating rates. Your costs may be influenced by a variety of factors such as:
- The make, model, trim, and year of the vehicles you are insuring
- Your age, gender, occupation, driving record, and claims history
- Information about other drivers in your household
- Whether you own or rent your home
- The amount of your deductible, and how much liability insurance you are purchasing
- The auto theft and accident rates in the vicinity of your home
Also, if you are bundling your auto insurance with other policies like homeowners insurance or renters insurance, you may qualify for discounts for all of your policies. Independent insurance agents in Watertown can ensure that you get any discounts you are entitled to and that you find reliable coverage at a competitive price.
Required Coverage for Watertown Vehicle Owners
In Watertown, vehicle owners must have car insurance that meets or exceeds South Dakota’s minimum coverage requirements:
- Liability insurance: This is designed to cover third-party injuries and property damage you may cause if you are responsible for an accident. The state requires you to have bodily injury liability coverage at a minimum of $50,000 for all persons injured in an accident, subject to a limit of $25,000 for one individual, and a minimum of $25,000 in property damage coverage.
- Uninsured motorist insurance: In a state where about 7.7% of all motorists are driving without insurance, this coverage is particularly important. It can provide coverage if you are injured or your vehicle is damaged in a collision that is the fault of an uninsured, underinsured, or hit-and-run driver.
Although these requirements may seem high, a basic minimum-coverage policy may not provide you with enough coverage if you cause a serious accident that involves significant injuries. If the resultant costs exceed your coverage limits, you will be expected to make up the difference out-of-pocket. That is why many Watertown residents choose to purchase auto liability coverage in amounts that are significantly higher than the state requires. If you want even more liability coverage than your car insurance policy will allow, you can also purchase umbrella insurance. Your local insurance agent can help you go over the costs for different levels of liability coverage.
Optional Insurance for Watertown Drivers
There are also a number of other coverage options that you can choose from. While not required by law, they may save you money if the unexpected happens.
- Personal injury protection: This can cover medical expenses for you and your passengers if you cause a collision in which you are injured.
- Collision insurance: This can cover the cost to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged in a collision, regardless of fault. This coverage is typically required by lenders if you have an auto loan and by dealerships, if you lease your vehicle.
- Comprehensive insurance: This can cover the cost to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged in a non-collision event, such as a flood, fire, or hailstorm. This coverage is typically required by lenders if you have an auto loan and by dealerships, if you lease your vehicle.
- Towing and roadside assistance Insurance: This covers the cost of assistance if your vehicle becomes disabled while you are out on the road.
- Gap insurance: This covers the difference if your vehicle is totaled but its assessed value is lower than the amount you still owe for it.
- Rental car reimbursement: This covers the cost of renting a vehicle while your vehicle is being repaired.
Talk to your local insurance agent to learn more about these coverage options.
Coverage against Auto Theft in Watertown
The auto theft rate in South Dakota is lower than the national rate, and in Watertown, the risk is even lower. There are only about 30 cars reported stolen in this city in a typical year.
- National auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.94
- South Dakota auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 1.14
- Watertown auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 0.99
As long as your car insurance policy includes comprehensive insurance, you can be reimbursed for your losses if your vehicle is stolen or damaged by vandals. In the meantime, you can reduce your risk of car theft by keeping your vehicle locked while unattended, parking in well-lit areas, and using an anti-theft device such as a car alarm.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Watertown?
Local independent agents can provide a lot of useful information when you are searching for the best auto insurance coverage. These experienced professionals can obtain customized quotes from a number of insurance companies so that you can choose the policy that offers you the most value for your money.
Contact an independent insurance agent with an office in or near Watertown to learn more.
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.