Even the most careful drivers can sometimes cause accidents. That is why vehicle owners in Yankton are required to have car insurance. From fender benders in the parking lot at Walmart to more serious collisions on Broadway Avenue, a reliable car insurance policy can shield you from facing large financial loss in the aftermath of an accident. Independent Insurance Agents in Yankton make shopping around for best car insurance easy and stress-free. These agents can provide you with a variety of customized car insurance quotes so you can be sure you are getting a great policy at an affordable price. Find an insurance agent near you to get started.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Yankton, SD?
The average cost for car insurance coverage in South Dakota is lower than the national rate. Rates in the city of Yankton are in line with the state average.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- South Dakota average annual car insurance cost: $1,180
- Yankton average annual car insurance cost: $1,193
Bear in mind that auto insurance rates can vary significantly from one driver to the next, so the figures shown above can only give you a ballpark idea of what your quoted costs might be. Actual rates are calculated individually according to several factors, including:
- The make, model, and year of the vehicles you are covering
- Details about moving violations you may have on your driving history
- Your age, occupation, claims history, and credit score
- Information about the other licensed drivers in your household
- The approximate number of miles you drive your vehicle each year
- How much coverage you are purchasing and the amount of your deductible
- The accident and auto theft rates in the vicinity of your home
You can frequently get lower rates if you qualify for certain discounts, such as for having a safe driving record or for bundling your coverage with another policy like home insurance or renters insurance. Your independent insurance agent can make sure that you get any car insurance discounts you are entitled to.
What Are South Dakota’s Minimum Car Insurance Requirements?
Vehicle owners in Yankton must carry car insurance that meets or exceeds the state’s minimum coverage requirements. In this state, your policy must include:
- Liability insurance: This pays for property damage and injuries you may cause others if you are at fault for a car accident. The minimum liability coverage you must have is:
- Bodily injury liability: Your policy must cover a minimum of $25,000 per person/$50,000 per accident for third-party injuries.
- Property damage liability: Your policy must cover a minimum of $25,000 in third-party property damage.
- Uninsured motorist insurance: This is designed to cover your losses if you are in a collision that was caused by an uninsured, underinsured, or hit-and-run driver. Given that 7.7% of drivers in this state do not have insurance, this coverage can be very beneficial.
Your least expensive option is to simply buy a policy that merely meets the state’s minimum coverage requirements. However, this is not necessarily the best choice. If you are at fault for a major accident that results in serious injuries and property damage, your liability costs can easily exceed what a minimum-coverage policy will cover. In that case, you would be expected to make up the difference out-of-pocket. That is why many Yankton vehicle owners choose to purchase car insurance with higher-than-required liability limits.
If you wish to have even more liability coverage than your car insurance policy will allow, you can also purchase umbrella insurance. Umbrella insurance is an affordable way to significantly boost your liability coverage and better protect your assets. Your local independent insurance agent can help you get the liability coverage you need at a competitive price.
What Optional Coverage Is Available with my Yankton Car Insurance?
In addition to the coverage types that are required by law, you have a number of options you can add to your auto insurance policy.
- Collision insurance: This is designed to cover collision damage to your vehicle, even if you were at fault for the accident. If you have a car loan, you are likely to be required by your lender to carry this coverage until your loan is paid in full.
- Comprehensive insurance: This is designed to cover non-collision damage to your vehicle. It can cover everything from falling trees to floods to vandalism. Like collision insurance, this coverage is typically required by lenders if you are still paying for your vehicle.
- Personal injury protection (PIP): This is designed to cover medical bills if you or your passengers are injured in a collision for which you are at fault. Often health insurance providers will not cover collision-related injuries, so this coverage can be important.
- Roadside assistance and towing: This enables you to call for roadside assistance if your vehicle becomes disabled on the road without worrying about what the service will cost you.
- Rental car reimbursement: This is designed to cover the cost of renting a comparable vehicle while your vehicle is being repaired.
Talk to your local insurance agent to learn more about these coverage options and find out how much adding each to your policy will cost you.
Yankton Car Insurance Can Provide Coverage against Auto Thefts
The auto theft rate in South Dakota is lower than the national average, and in Yankton, it is significantly lower still. This is not to say that the risk does not exist. About 12 autos are reported stolen in this city in a typical year.
- National auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.94
- South Dakota auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 1.14
- Yankton auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 0.47
Of course, you probably don’t spend all your time in Yankton, so it’s best to know whether your auto insurance policy covers against this risk. Know that in the event that your car is stolen, you must have comprehensive coverage included in your car insurance policy in order to be compensated for your loss.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Yankton?
As a vehicle owner in Yankton, you can turn to a local independent insurance agent for assistance when you are searching for the best car insurance to meet your coverage and budgetary needs. Independent agents are free to work with several different insurance companies so they can obtain a variety of customized quotes to help you find the coverage you want at a price you can afford.
Contact an insurance agent with an office in or near Yankton to learn more.
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.