Situated near the Wyoming border, Sturgis, SD is close to many farms and ranches. Between the months of June and September, residents flock to the popular Sturgis Farmers' Market to purchase locally sourced eggs, honey, vegetables, herbs, and other goods. If you are among the area’s many farm and ranch owners, you can protect your investment with farm insurance.
Independent agents in Sturgis are ready to help you find the best farm insurance policy to meet your coverage and budgetary needs. Find an insurance agent near you to learn more and you can start comparing customized quotes for farm and ranch insurance in no time.
What Is Farm Insurance?
Farm insurance is a specialized policy that that is tailored to meet the unique coverage needs of farm and ranch owners. It combines coverage for your home and personal property with coverage for your farming business in one easy-to-manage policy package.
Independent insurance agents can help you review your many coverage options so that you are able to make informed decisions as you customize your farm insurance policy. These agents can advise you about the risks you are likely to face as a farm or ranch owner in the Sturgis area, and they can make sure you are getting suitable coverage against these hazards at a competitive price.
Sturgis Farm Insurance Covers against Liability Risks
There are a number of liability risks when it comes to farms and ranches. That is why all farm insurance policies include liability coverage as a standard part of their coverage. It can pay for court costs, legal fees, and damages if you are sued for a covered event. The following are some examples of farm liability coverage that is available to you:
- Premises liability insurance: This can pay damage and injuries suffered by visitors, guests, or customers if they are involved in an accident while on your farm or ranch property.
- Product liability insurance: This can pay for illnesses, injuries, or other damage sustained by third parties due to a defect in a product that your farm produces or sells.
- Operations liability insurance: This can pay for injuries or property damage suffered by third parties if they are caused by you or your employees in the course of running your farm.
- Farm workers medical payments insurance: South Dakota does not require you to cover farm and agricultural employees with workers’ compensation insurance. Farm workers medical payments insurance can minimize your liability risks by covering the cost of treating for your workers’ job-related injuries.
An independent insurance agent can help you review these and other liability coverage options. Together, you can determine which are a good fit for your particular farm or ranch.
Sturgis Farm Insurance Covers Your Property
The good news is that the risk of tornado activity in Sturgis is very low. Farm and ranch owners in this area are most likely to experience property damage caused by severe storms, heavy winds, hail, and fire. Fortunately, your farm insurance policy can provide coverage for your expensive farm assets against each of these perils.
Some of the property that your farm insurance policy can cover includes:
- Your home: If you live on your farm or ranch, farm insurance can provide you with coverage for the structure of your house as well as for the personal property inside it.
- Outbuildings: Farm insurance can cover the structure and contents of the structures on your property, including garages, sheds, stables, barns, silos, and other storage facilities.
- Equipment and machinery: Farm insurance can pay to repair or replace your farm equipment and machinery if it is damaged by a covered event. This coverage includes tractors, balers, plows, cultivators, and sprayers.
It is important keep in mind that flood damage, which is a very real risk in the Sturgis area, is not included in your farm insurance coverage. Fortunately, a local independent insurance agent can also help you purchase a supplementary flood insurance policy through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).
Sturgis Farm Insurance Offers Many Additional Coverage Options
Insurance companies enable you to customize your farm insurance policy by choosing only the coverage that makes sense for your particular farm or ranch. There are a number of different policy options that may be available to you, including:
- Equipment breakdown insurance: This is not like property insurance, which would cover damage sustained by your farm equipment. It covers repairs if the machinery malfunctions. If repair will take a long time, it can even cover the cost of renting comparable equipment so you can keep your farm operations running smoothly.
- Specialized property insurance: The standard property coverage in your farm insurance policy will have certain exclusions for some types of property. Fortunately, you can purchase endorsements to cover these items. Specialized coverage is available for things such as electric fences, livestock, feed, and irrigation systems.
- Debris removal insurance: Severe weather events can results in extensive debris from fallen trees or damaged buildings. You can buy coverage that will pay for the cost of a timely cleanup. That way, your farm or ranch can get back to normal operations as quickly as possible.
- Farm income insurance: When disaster strikes, it can result in much lower than expected profits for your farm or ranch. For many small farm owners, this can be devastating. Fortunately, you can get coverage that is designed to make up the difference between expected and actual profits if your farm’s operations are hindered by a covered event.
Talk to an insurance agent near you to learn about these and other coverage offerings that are available to you. Your agent can help you decide which options are right for your Sturgis-area farm or ranch.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Sturgis, SD?
Local independent agents are familiar with the risks you face as a farm or ranch owner in western South Dakota. They can work with you to help build a suitable farm insurance policy that offers protection against all of the hazards that can threaten your bottom line. Also, because they are not tied to one insurance company, that can shop around for the best price.
Contact an insurance agent in or near Sturgis to learn more about your options when it comes to farm and ranch insurance.
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.