Home to about 26,000 people, Aberdeen is the third-most populated city in South Dakota. This college town offers residents an abundance of affordable housing, lively parks and recreational facilities, and a variety of cultural opportunities. If you are among the proud homeowners who have settled in this vibrant city, you will want to be sure to have a solid home insurance policy. Independent Insurance Agents can help you find the best and most affordable insurance coverage for your Aberdeen home. Find an insurance agent near you to learn more, and you can soon start comparing customized homeowners insurance quotes from a variety of reputable insurers.
Cost of Homeowners Insurance in Aberdeen, SD
South Dakota is the 23rd most expensive state for home insurance in the US. The average home insurance cost in this state is lower than the national rate, and in Aberdeen, costs are even lower. Shopping around for coverage can help you find a great policy at an affordable price.
- National average yearly premium: $1,173
- South Dakota average yearly premium: $1,096
- Aberdeen average yearly premium: $1,062
The quotes you get from insurance companies are likely to differ from the average rate shown above because costs are calculated on a case-by-case basis according to a number of specific factors. Your home insurance costs can be influenced by such things as:
- The size, age, and value of your house
- Whether the property you are insuring is your primary residence
- The type of home you are insuring (e.g. single-family detached home, duplex, condo, manufactured home, etc.)
- The number of stories in your home and whether it has a basement
- The crime rate and weather risks in your ZIP code
- Your claims history and credit score
- Whether you are bundling your coverage with another policy like car insurance or life insurance
Comparing quotes enables you to choose the homeowners policy that offers the best value for the coverage you want. Independent insurance agents in Aberdeen make comparison shopping easy.
The Burglary Rate in Aberdeen, SD
The burglary rate in South Dakota is much lower than the national average. In Aberdeen, the rate is higher than the state average but still lower than the national average. Residents of this city report more than 100 burglaries in a typical year.
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in the US: 4.69
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in South Dakota: 3.47
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Aberdeen: 4.11
If your home is burglarized, your homeowners insurance will reimburse you for the resultant loss and damage. You can take precautionary steps to lower your risk of being targeted by thieves by putting lights on timers while you are away, making sure that all windows and doors are secured, and keeping entryways well-lit and unobstructed from view. The most effective theft deterrent is a burglar alarm. Many insurance companies offer discounts to policyholders who have home security systems installed in their houses. Learn more about this and other potential discounts by talking to your local insurance agent.
Catastrophic Events in Aberdeen
Your homeowners insurance policy is designed to cover you against many of the hazards you are likely to face as a property owner in Aberdeen. This includes everything from out-of-control kitchen fires to severe weather events like the F3 tornado that touched down in Aberdeen in 1996, causing $750,000 in damage.
- Number of federally declared disasters in South Dakota: 65
- Most common reasons for disasters in the state: Severe Storms and Wildfires
- Average number of tornadoes per year in South Dakota: 32.6
- Average amount of property damage per year in SD: $93.3 million
- 1 in 15 insured homes has a claim each year.
Residents of Aberdeen are most at risk for damage caused by severe storms and floods. While your homeowners insurance will cover storm damage, it will not cover flood damage due to rising waters. Fortunately, your local insurance agent can also help you secure an affordable flood insurance policy through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).
Liability Insurance for Aberdeen Homeowners
Your homeowners insurance also includes liability coverage, which is designed to cover the various expenses (such as court costs, legal defense fees, and damages) that you may accrue if you are sued for a covered event. Some examples of situations in which this personal liability coverage can protect you include:
- A guest trips on loose carpeting on your stairs and suffers a serious injury that requires surgery.
- Your neighbor’s window is broken by a soccer ball your child kicked while playing with friends.
- Your dog gets loose and bites a delivery person.
- Somebody sues you for libel or slander because of something you posted on social media.
An independent insurance agent can explain your homeowners liability coverage in greater detail. If you wish to have higher liability limits than your home insurance will allow, your agent can also help you supplement your coverage with a competitively priced umbrella insurance policy.
Second Home and Vacation Home Insurance
Maybe you own a vacation home by Sand Lake Reservoir. Or perhaps you own a house near the Northern State University campus that you rent out to students. Whatever the reason, if you own more than one home, you will need to cover all of your properties with an appropriate home insurance policy. When a home does not serve as your primary residence, it often has additional risks that insurance companies will take into consideration.
- Vacation homes that are left unoccupied for several months out of the year have an increased risk of property damage. In this case, vacant home insurance may be needed while the house is not in use.
- Vacation houses that are located in areas that have a high risk of floods or earthquakes may need to have supplementary flood insurance or earthquake insurance because these hazards are not covered by home insurance.
- Second homes that are occupied by tenants have higher liability risks but lower contents coverage needs since your tenants will be expected to cover their own property with renters insurance. You would need to cover this type of property with landlord insurance.
An independent insurance agent can help you review the coverage needs of all your properties and can assist you with finding the best and most reasonably priced policies to insure them.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Aberdeen?
The easiest way to find an ideally priced homeowners insurance policy is by working with an independent insurance agent. These agents work for you, not for a specific insurance company, so you can be sure that you are getting trustworthy guidance as you shop for the coverage you need for your Aberdeen home.vIndependent agents in Aberdeen are ready to help.
Contact an insurance agent near you to start comparing customized home insurance quotes.
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.